Does anyone actually cook xmas dinner

michele

In the motor home . The full works ? I was getting a bit panicy about a full xmas dinner in a confined space . dont have enough hobs for all of it .

can anyone help with suggestions as to what they do ...ie, Do you all go shopping abroad and not worry about buying here first or.........do you buy things like a big ham cook it all here at home then carve it here first wrap then take. Turkey beef ect

i know it may sound silly to some any suggestions would be appreciated have never ever been away from england or home before at christams .

Any advice help appreciated ....

Hi Michele, we haven't had a Xmas dinner in the motorhome but my wife has prepared and produced a three course meal for four in our last 'van. One thing that might help is to use a steamer for your veg, this will free up several rings on your hob and your veg will taste better than when boiled in water. Steamers are available from most electrical stores and you can do fish, chicken and many other foods in them. My wife is a catering manager and she swears by it.

D.

Most vans have all the facilitys to cook a full size Christmas dinner Michele, and I would think its only the lack of space for preparation and serving that causes any problems. The wife uses those steam cookers where all the veg is stacked up in 3 or 4 saucepans, and this seems ideal for what you need. 8-)

A cassrerole type dish, bought at Ideal Home last year, has proven to be good enough to cook whole chicken (not a goose or turkey tho') plus all the veggies. It's made of cast metal with non-stick impregnated, so no worries about marking the surface and rendering the non-stick nonfuntional. Has a glass lid, with a pressure release handle, so it has multiple uses, from fried eggs & bacon, toast, porridge, omeletes, etc.

Quite a useful cook pot, but expensive @ £90.

But having no oven meant we has to look at alternatives.

Hi Michele, we have on many occasions cooked sunday dinner for 6 to 8 people when we caravanned with a similar layout to our New motorhome.

If you have an oven then a small turkey or a big chicken will present no problems. For veg we have used a Prestige pressure cooker (normal home kitchen size one) for 23 years and you can even do sponge puddings in them! If you start by pouring 3/4 pint of boiling water in the pressure cooker ,then adding the veg and the lid, it will come up to pressure in less than 5 mins and after 3 mins or so at full pressure the veg will be cooked. Prestige do a nice stainless one which is very easy to use. You can take the cooker outside to release the pressure , it saves steaming the van up !

I know why I'm going, but I know not where!

best option for KISS cooking is probably the pan sets sold by D & F Promotions, available at all the shows.

the other method that seems to get good marks is the Remoska available from Lakeland.

I'm sure that if you search the forums these items will pop up, it is a frequent topic.

good luck - with the search and the xmas dinner!

B-)

Yes thank you and slow cooker. So fed up wondering weather to cancel xmas in France. so much going on have no decorations up yet nothing going right . Wished I had not booked it now in such a mess with the kitchen tiles crap everywhere don't know that I can do it all dont seem enough hours in the day I am actually falling asleep everyday ?

thank god I had a moan feel better now ..........Ps love the piccy but ! he looks insulted you wicked man lol

Archived