Doominic is doomed.........

Guest pelmetman

He surely knows deselection was on the cards if he continued to pursue what he thinks is best for Britain. I rather admire him for that. But then I've always been a fan because he has one of the best brains in the country. He can earn way more doing his day job as a QC. I also doubt that he's the only MP of a Brexit majority constituency to disagree with PM's deal.

Violet1956 - 2019-01-21 1:19 PM

He surely knows deselection was on the cards if he continued to pursue what he thinks is best for Britain. I rather admire him for that. But then I've always been a fan because he has one of the best brains in the country. He can earn way more doing his day job as a QC. I also doubt that he's the only MP of a Brexit majority constituency to disagree with PM's deal.

Yes Grieves talks sense but Brexiters have always struggled in comprehending logic.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-21 4:34 PM

I dont know if he will succeed but its not "plotting" as The Fail likes to suggest. He is behaving like a true statesman and putting his country first before himself or party. Good for him he is doing his job.

Anyone not dancing to the Brexit tune is seen as a renegade or plotter. Brexiters are determined to have their Facist state of Brexit rule at the cost of destroying what's left of the country.

The majority of his constituents voted leave despite all his attempts to persuade them it was a very bad idea. A former Attorney General with direct experience of how the EU works and how Britain rarely comes a cropper in the ECJ. I am flabbergasted that they thought they knew better than he did about how complex Brexit would be and those who failed to listen to him when he rubbished the idea that the EU was somehow to blame for the perceived problems with ‘human rights’. I am also sad that they prefer trash in the Daily Mail and the like to his wise counsel.

Violet1956 - 2019-01-21 6:04 PM

The majority of his constituents voted leave despite all his attempts to persuade them it was a very bad idea. A former Attorney General with direct experience of how the EU works and how Britain rarely comes a cropper in the ECJ. I am flabbergasted that they thought they knew better than he did about how complex Brexit would be and those who failed to listen to him when he rubbished the idea that the EU was somehow to blame for the perceived problems with ‘human rights’. I am also sad that they prefer trash in the Daily Mail and the like to his wise counsel.

Maybe they were aware but still wanted out. Maybe they looked upon him having a vested interest in staying in the EU. Maybe he was offered inducements by the EU/ECJ to take his stance.

And the evidence to support your suspicions about his character and integrity is to be found where 747? Moreover I would struggle to find any of his constituents who have a better knowledge or intellect that he has, myself included having lived in it for the past 26 years.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-01-21 9:16 PM

And the evidence to support your suspicions about his character and integrity is to be found where 747? Moreover I would struggle to find any of his constituents who have a better knowledge or intellect that he has, myself included having lived in it for the past 26 years.

I prefer to live in a motorhome :D ..........

It's quite apt though that a criminal defense lawyer is defending the EU >:-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-01-21 9:42 PM

Never been a criminal defence lawyer Dave, you and 747 seem to have making wild guesses in common. I have some pelmets even though.

I was referring to Doominic ;-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-01-21 9:51 PM

Never been a criminal defence lawyer Dave, you and 747 seem to have making wild guesses in common. I have some pelmets even though.

Look up what the Attorney General is responsible for Dave. *-)

I base my evidence on the various examples of Parliamentary skullduggery and the inventive expense claims of MPs. Also the remarks of a retired Senior Special Branch Officer who saw their antics and sometimes had to cover them up. He looked upon many of them as the lowest form of life. 8-)

747 - 2019-01-21 11:03 PM

I base my evidence on the various examples of Parliamentary skullduggery and the inventive expense claims of MPs. Also the remarks of a retired Senior Special Branch Officer who saw their antics and sometimes had to cover them up. He looked upon many of them as the lowest form of life. 8-)

And your evidence regarding Mr Grieve's skullduggery and inventive expense claims is to be found where 747?

Violet1956 - 2019-01-21 11:08 PM

And your evidence regarding Mr Grieve's skullduggery and inventive expense claims is to be found where 747?

When a post is peppered with "maybe's" and zero citation it's safe to say it's based on pure conjecture and very little else!

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-01-21 11:02 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-21 9:51 PM

Look up what the Attorney General is responsible for Dave. *-)

Was he not a criminal advocate? ;-) .............

Kinda makes him the perfect person to defend the EU >:-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-21 11:38 PM

When a post is peppered with "maybe's" and zero citation it's safe to say it's based on pure conjecture and very little else!

"Just before Valentine’s Day last year the Register of Members’ Interests shows then-Attorney General Dominic Grieve took his wife on a paid-for trip to Paris, from February 6 to 8.

The £750 tab included return Eurostar train travel and two nights’ accommodation, all paid for by European Study Tours and the Erasmus Educational Society.

The purpose of the trip was to speak at the Your Future in Europe conference.

The Sunday Mirror asked Mr Grieve why it was necessary to spend two nights in a hotel with his wife, rather than immediately return on the train.

We received no response."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grasping-mps-claim-800000-freebies-7364113

I wonder how many EU freebies he'll get if he manages to prevent Brexit? *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-01-22 8:50 AM

"Just before Valentine’s Day last year the Register of Members’ Interests shows then-Attorney General Dominic Grieve took his wife on a paid-for trip to Paris, from February 6 to 8.

The £750 tab included return Eurostar train travel and two nights’ accommodation, all paid for by European Study Tours and the Erasmus Educational Society.

The Sunday Mirror asked Mr Grieve why it was necessary to spend two nights in a hotel with his wife, rather than immediately return on the train.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/grasping-mps-claim-800000-freebies-7364113

I wonder how many EU freebies he'll get if he manages to prevent Brexit? *-) ..........

So what? Its not tax payers money and he was there to speak at a conference paid for by two different groups. Its hardly the trip of a lifetime two nights in a hotel in Paris speaking at a conference and HAVING to take your wife FFS! Never take your wife to a conference. Just sayin. B-) and £750 for two including travel and accommodation sounds a bit budget to me, he wont have been in the Ritz for sure. All the items in that list seem to be funded by other people and not the tax payer. If someone wants to send a helicopter to pick up a key speaker for a conference / dinner or whatever then thats their lookout. Whats wrong with that?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-22 9:53 AM

So what? Its not tax payers money and he was there to speak at a conference paid for by two different groups. Its hardly the trip of a lifetime two nights in a hotel in Paris speaking at a conference and HAVING to take your wife FFS! Never take your wife to a conference. Just sayin. B-) and £750 for two including travel and accommodation sounds a bit budget to me, he wont have been in the Ritz for sure. All the items in that list seem to be funded by other people and not the tax payer. If someone wants to send a helicopter to pick up a key speaker for a conference / dinner or whatever then thats their lookout. Whats wrong with that?

"all paid for by European Study Tours and the Erasmus Educational Society"

European study tours obviously has a vested interest in staying in the EU ;-) ........and Erasmus is taxpayer funded *-) ..........

Erasmus+ is the European Union programme for education, training, youth and sport, which aims to boost skills and employability as well as modernise education, training, and youth work and promote innovation, entrepreneurship and employability across Europe.

It has a budget of approximately €14.7 billion (£12 billion) across Europe to help more than four million people to study, train, gain work experience or volunteer abroad. It also supports transnational partnerships between education, training and youth organisations as well as grassroots sport projects. Almost €1 billion will be allocated to the UK over seven years, where it is expected to enable around 250,000 people to take part. The British Council manages the Erasmus+ programme in the UK, in partnership with Ecorys UK.

It's always nice to know who's funding your Remoaner Mouthpieces >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-01-22 10:19 AM

European study tours obviously has a vested interest in staying in the EU ;-) ........and Erasmus is taxpayer funded *-) ..........

Erasmus+ is the European Union programme for education, training, youth and sport, which aims to boost skills and employability as well as modernise education, training, and youth work and promote innovation, entrepreneurship and employability across Europe.

It has a budget of approximately €14.7 billion (£12 billion) across Europe to help more than four million people to study, train, gain work experience or volunteer abroad. It also supports transnational partnerships between education, training and youth organisations as well as grassroots sport projects. Almost €1 billion will be allocated to the UK over seven years, where it is expected to enable around 250,000 people to take part. The British Council manages the Erasmus+ programme in the UK, in partnership with Ecorys UK.

So its funded by the EU and a private company. Its an excellent program and tragic that we will lose it. I am sure Mr Grieve being the clever man he is made a valuable contribution to what is clearly a popular and excellent project and its good to see that the costs of him attending and speaking at said conference are within reasonable limits. Go and try and book a weekend in Paris, with travel, see what it costs you.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-22 11:07 AM

So its funded by the EU and a private company. Its an excellent program and tragic that we will lose it. I am sure Mr Grieve being the clever man he is made a valuable contribution to what is clearly a popular and excellent project and its good to see that the costs of him attending and speaking at said conference are within reasonable limits. Go and try and book a weekend in Paris, with travel, see what it costs you.

Yeah it's nice to know we're paying for the trip on the EU gravy train for him and his Mrs to speak to the converted *-) ..........

No doubt you miss getting your snout in that trough? :D ...........

Paranoia is alive and well and stalking Brexitland! :-D

The more that serious people give good reasons why Brexit will be damaging for the UK, the more Brexiters resort to slur and/or character assassination of said serious people. No doubt it gives momentary comfort, like whistling in the dark, but it doesn't engage with the central arguments. Why is that?

I find one factor in debate seriously worrying, which is the emergence of the north-south divide as a driver of Brexit. There seems to be a sentiment in some northern quarters that the south is in need of a sharp lesson, and Brexit will deliver it. Its proponents seem to think that harming themselves is worthwhile so long as it also harms "the south". I've no idea how widespread this idea is, but it is apparent on this forum. Have others noticed? Can anyone explain?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-01-22 1:04 PM

The more that serious people give good reasons why Brexit will be damaging for the UK, the more Brexiters resort to slur and/or character assassination of said serious people. No doubt it gives momentary comfort, like whistling in the dark, but it doesn't engage with the central arguments. Why is that?

Are you serious? :D ...........There is NO PROOF Brexit will damage the UK *-) .........

There is only Remoaners trying to blame the fact that big businesses are relocating to low wage economies on Brexit >:-) .............

Has JLR said they wouldn't move work to Slovakia if Brexit was cancelled?......NO! :D ............

pelmetman - 2019-01-22 12:15 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-01-22 11:07 AM

Yeah it's nice to know we're paying for the trip on the EU gravy train for him and his Mrs to speak to the converted *-) ..........

No doubt you miss getting your snout in that trough? :D ...........

Not really, I had some good gigs on both government and EU funded projects but I wont miss it as much as those that need it will.

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-22 1:04 PM

Paranoia is alive and well and stalking Brexitland! :-D

I find one factor in debate seriously worrying, which is the emergence of the north-south divide as a driver of Brexit. There seems to be a sentiment in some northern quarters that the south is in need of a sharp lesson, and Brexit will deliver it. Its proponents seem to think that harming themselves is worthwhile so long as it also harms "the south". I've no idea how widespread this idea is, but it is apparent on this forum. Have others noticed? Can anyone explain?

The sad factor is that its generally poor areas that voted out and the poorer they were the higher the vote but it's not just in the north. However the North will suffer the most. Durham for example was comfortably remain but Middlesbrough was massively Brexit. If you have been to both it should be easy to work out which will suffer the most in a 16% loss of GDP in the region which will be the worst in the uk. I don't blame them, I blame Cameron and the Tory Kippers and hand on heart I hope the forecasts are wrong but sadly I don't think they will be.

If they wanted to stick it to the shandy drinking elitist suvverners in "That London" they should have voted remain really as the only ones getting rich off the back of this is the hedge funders, media moguls, tax avoiders and Jacob reek smug :(

The north has shot itself in the face, the south maybe the leg.

I've been invited to a Brexit debate in a bit of a dodgy northern town so it will be interesting to see what they think now. When I went to the "is it worth it rally" in Durham it was a complete luvvie remoaner fest but a handful of hard core Brexiteers turned up with Brexit at any cost t shirts on. They were alright actually once they realised it was a friendly event and they were asked to speak. I wonder if they will be there and still support Brexit at any cost. People need to lose the emotions. You can't eat them.

Archived