Drugs

howie

Latest thinking advocates the legalising of "street" drugs and other recreactional substances, with those addicted placed on a registrar where they are prescribed drugs at a fraction of the cost they now pay dealers.

The logic here is that this will eliminate for the most part the current crime wave related to drug trafficking where robberies, personal attacks and any other ways of raising money for their next fix is now commonplace.

The police seem to be losing the battle to contain drug offences. Does this approach to the problem have its merits, or are we simply throwing in the towel and taking the easy way out.

michele - 2007-10-15 6:42 PM

Howie ,

This wont work either they will take that on a script and more off the dealers still mugging robbing waste of time if you ask me.

Mixed feelings on this Michele. Anything that can reduce or take away the misery caused to the innocent victims of these crimes should be considered.

Several years ago there was a 'rehabilitation' centre at the hospital where Cherry works. Drug abusers would come in for a twice weekly prescription, (free to them, of course!) of Methedone which was supposed to help them 'come off' Heroin. My wife can relate of abusers knocking it back in one go rather than taking the recommended dosage over a preiod of days. They would then go out shoplifting or whatever in order to get cash for illegal fixes. The same problem was had by the police when a prisoner was in custody and on Methedone, we would only allow them to have the prescribed dosage at the correct time interval. This, of course, did not make for a happy prisoner!! I feel that the only course is to make all drugs, (not caffine , alcohol and nicotine of course as I never 'nicked' anyone on a robbery charge to buy tobacco!!) illegal and to punish offenders severly.

I have, I know, a reputation of being somewhat to the right of Gengis Khan when it comes to punishments but as I said on another thread recently you must mafe it sever to be effective.

Regards Mike

I recommend Ben Elton's novel "High Society," which pictures this idea being proposed by an MP and gathering support.

The various characters between them put both sides of the argument very well, in a way which really makes you think about it. Not sure yet what my own conclusion is though.

Tony

There was a documentary on the Mafia recently on Sky. They were being infiltrated by a FBI agent who taped conversations between "Family Bosses". One of them was telling telling the others that his family didn't fear the proposals on drug legalisation as they wouldn't allow the politicians in their pockets to vote for it.

They were not that concerned about the army getting involved in drug erradication in Venezuela either, because they owned it! When one of them asked "what, you own the army?" The reply was "No Venezuela!"

The amounts of money involved in drug trafficking and dealing around the world far outweighs the money farmers and transporters can make from legal goods. Just look at Afganistan, White Poppies are the largest crop grown in the country, and that includes food.

I don't know what the answer is but when the people running the job can own countries it is going to be an uphill battle what ever is decided.

:-(

Guest Tracker

Unless the countries that take these harvests work to eradicate use in which case the laws of supply and demand will apply and they will either grow another crop or export their misery somewhere else not in my back garden.

Meanwhile the best way to get illegal drugs users off illegal drugs is to de criminalise the use of legally supplied and safe from contamination drugs?

Who knows if we don't try?

Guest Tracker
Unless the governments of the countries involved specifically ask for this sort of intervention it would be seen as an act of war and I don't know of any civilised country that would participate in an illegal act of war - do you?

Tracker - 2007-10-15 8:06 PM

Unless the governments of the countries involved specifically ask for this sort of intervention it would be seen as an act of war and I don't know of any civilised country that would participate in an illegal act of war - do you?

How about the U.K. and the U.S.A. by being in Iraq. That was an illegal was so it follows therefore that all act dealing with it are illegal. I doubt though that Brother Blair would see it that way nor G. Dubya!!

Regards Mike

malc d - 2007-10-15 8:48 PM

I understood the problem is that too many people in Afghanistan rely on their poppy crop to earn a living / feed their families.

If the crops were destroyed, who would feed the people ?

Bit of a Catch 22 situation, isn't it?

They die - or our kids die.

Tracker - 2007-10-15 8:45 PM

I meant civilised countries Mike with civilised non egotistical governments?

Care to name one Tracker? 8-)

Guest Tracker
peter - 2007-10-15 8:51 PM

Tracker - 2007-10-15 8:45 PM

I meant civilised countries Mike with civilised non egotistical governments?

Care to name one Tracker? 8-)

Germany - Spain and quite a few other European countries seem to be getting along in the world just fine without getting up the noses of half the world in order to ingratiate themselves with the big bad wolf.

Archived