Dyson to build electric car in Singapore

Bulletguy

Brexiteer Dyson is to build his electric car at a new build plant in Singapore. Dyson hasn't manufactured any products in UK for a very long time now since relocating production to Malaysia, China, Philippines and Singapore.

James O'Brien makes an interesting point.

Dyson is an astute businessman so you can't blame him for using factories that cost less than the UK to build and staff and give him access to worldwide markets.

If his cars are as well built and reliable as his vacuum cleaners nobody will be going very far very often - but on the brighter side I suppose that is one way of cutting down on car use?

Guest pelmetman

"I drive a Dyson" :-S ..............Cant see folk wanting to say that in Suburbia 8-) .........

Prolly be OK in Brighton or some other loony liberal hot spot, as those suckers will fall for anything green :D .........

Tracker - 2018-10-25 9:33 AM

Dyson is an astute businessman so you can't blame him for using factories that cost less than the UK to build and staff and give him access to worldwide markets.

I imagine land cost in Singapore to be significantly higher than UK. It's hardly a 'cheap' country but Dysons move is more to do with the current political field than building cost which he's openly admitted is "not a consideration".

Singapore signed a FTA with EU last month, something UK are in danger of losing, Dyson then quietly announces he's going to build his electric car in Singapore giving him access to markets he wouldn't have in a hard Brexit UK. Dyson previously argued UK would benefit from setting its own trade policy independently from Brussels, but chooses a country with a guaranteed FTA for his electric car. Hhmm......an astute businessman with double standards? ;-)

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/nick-ferraris-message-brexiteer-james-dyson-car/

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-25 3:24 PM

I imagine land cost in Singapore to be significantly higher than UK. It's hardly a 'cheap' country but Dysons move is more to do with the current political field than building cost which he's openly admitted is "not a consideration".

Singapore signed a FTA with EU last month, something UK are in danger of losing, Dyson then quietly announces he's going to build his electric car in Singapore giving him access to markets he wouldn't have in a hard Brexit UK. Dyson previously argued UK would benefit from setting its own trade policy independently from Brussels, but chooses a country with a guaranteed FTA for his electric car. Hhmm......an astute businessman with double standards? ;-)

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/nick-ferraris-message-brexiteer-james-dyson-car/

Google average software engineer wages UK and Singapore ;-) .........

Then you'll understand why he's gone there :D .........

pelmetman - 2018-10-25 3:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-25 3:24 PM

Google average software engineer wages UK and Singapore ;-) .........

Then you'll understand why he's gone there :D .........

Clear and guaranteed free trade access to all EU. Makes sense.

snowie - 2018-10-25 5:00 PM

And unlike many electric cars I’m guessing that you’ll hear a Dyson coming! Good safety feature.

Snowie

I doubt it - they are silent whilst being pushed!

I expect he will use an unknown name like 'Hoover' - remember them from years ago - they worked well and went on for years and years without ever breaking down - might need a longer lead though?

Tracker - 2018-10-25 5:16 PM

snowie - 2018-10-25 5:00 PM

And unlike many electric cars I’m guessing that you’ll hear a Dyson coming! Good safety feature.

Snowie

I doubt it - they are silent whilst being pushed!

I expect he will use an unknown name like 'Hoover' - remember them from years ago - they worked well and went on for years and years without ever breaking down - might need a longer lead though?

Still going. I bought a refurb one about three or four years ago for £40 with a years warranty. Its absolutely brilliant and so far no problems at all.

Barryd999 - 2018-10-25 5:22 PM

Still going. I bought a refurb one about three or four years ago for £40 with a years warranty. Its absolutely brilliant and so far no problems at all.

Good point Barry - once he stopped making them in the UK they suddenly got a lot more reliable - just like so many other manufacturers found with cars!

Was it the lack of motivated workforce or the subversive unions that persuded him - or was it just the cost of production?

On the subject of vacuum cleaners i can claim to having some knowledge in this field when helping out a pal who was flogging Kirby cleaners during the early 80's. They are a damn brilliant piece of engineering, built to last and extremely efficient way superior to any other cleaner out on the market then, and possibly still today. The two downsides was weight.....they are much heavier than any other cleaner, and price....in 1982 this particular model sold at £500 (or £650 if you opted for the 'extras').

BUT......there was only one other cleaner which could match it's vacuum suction power.....and there were not many around. A metal bodied Hoover from the 1950's and it's interesting to note the similarities between the two.

I've got a Dyson....but hung on to my Kirby (identical model as the photo) which is now 35 years old and still going strong. Brilliant for cleaning the van and way better on carpet than the Dyson.

1196603350_KIRBY1982.thumb.jpg.40ba465b9f84996c341bf5a3d5c7b539.jpg

960260328_HOOVER1950s.jpg.af3fb749352847f0cbd12b586aeb8618.jpg

colin - 2018-10-25 7:29 PM

For the record, Dyson is employing around 1000 extra staff in Singapore, also he is employing around 1600 extra staff in UK in addition to the 4,800 staff he already employs in UK.

That's dropped then. Only two months ago it was 2000.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/oct/23/dyson-to-build-electric-cars-in-singapore-with-launch-planned-for-2021

Better than the 300 reported six months previously (note the careful use of could); https://www.themanufacturer.com/articles/dysons-electric-car-endeavours-could-create-300-uk-jobs/

But nowhere near the 3000 reported four years ago; https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/dyson-invest-15bn-create-3000-uk-jobs-100-new-products/1322944

Archived