EU Spain and Gibraltar

Bulletguy

The EU will back Spain over its territorial claims to Gibraltar in the next phase of Brexit negotiations by giving Madrid the power to exclude the British overseas territory from any trade deal struck with Brussels.

The Observer has learned that the Spanish government has insisted on reference to the Rock in the EU’s opening negotiating position, which will be published in draft form on Monday.

Boris Johnson will be presented with the choice of reaching agreement with the Spaniards about Gibraltar’s future or exposing its citizens to economic peril by pushing it outside any EU-UK trade deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-trade-talks-eu-to-back-spain-over-gibraltar-claims

Gibraltar have already said they want to join Schengen post Brexit but UK won't allow them.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/gibraltar-wants-to-join-schengen-post-brexit-uk-says-no/

747 - 2020-02-01 7:39 PM

If 95% want close ties with Spain and the EU then give them a referendum ... simples.

Is Gib of strategic importance these days? I think not.

As long as we remain a member of NATO, yes it is.

Its communication systems, runway facilities and harbour make it an important base for NATO.

https://www.army.mod.uk/deployments/gibraltar/

Bulletguy - 2020-02-01 8:24 PM

If 95% want close ties with Spain and the EU then give them a referendum ... simples.

Its communication systems, runway facilities and harbour make it an important base for NATO.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure Spain is a NATO member. It would just be a change of personnel.

747 - 2020-02-01 10:29 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-02-01 8:24 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure Spain is a NATO member. It would just be a change of personnel.

Which is all the more reason UK sort it out sensibly instead of flippantly dismissing the Gibs as though they are of little importance. I don't think UK is quite daft enough to ignore the North Atlantic Treaty....but given recent events, who knows. Gibraltar have come up with a sensible solution...UK don't like it, tough they should have realised this was going to happen. The EU is simply doing what it's supposed to do, protecting the interests of it's member state.

I'm all in favour of giving Gibraltar back to the Spanish.

Make it motorhome friendly for a start. :-D

Then it would be as nice to visit as the rest of Spain, instead of a no-go area for Motorhomers and anyone else who isn't spending a lot of money.

And stop it sucking tax revenue from Britain and Spain. :-D

What I would like to see is for us to be told the TRUTH about what it costs us to maintain tax havens like Gibraltar, and then be given a referendum whether we want to keep subsidising them.

Of Course Gibraltarians will claim to be British even though they don't pay British Tax, vote to stay 'British' You might as well ask the Israeli settlers in Palestine whether they want to stay Israeli *-)

Bulletguy - 2020-02-01 10:48 PM

flippantly dismissing the Gibs as though they are of little importance.

The English Establishment looks after its tax havens so they won't do that.

Hundreds of thousands of English people (many times the population of Gibraltar) choose to live under the Spanish Government in the EU, so the Gibs would be alright.

Except they might have to start working for a living 8-) (lol)

when Gibraltar is no longer a tax haven, subsidised by England and Spain.

jumpstart - 2020-02-02 7:15 AM

I have spoken with a Merlin helicopter pilot who told me the Spanish would not allow our military to over fly Spain mainland if they were flying to Gib. And that was while we were in the Eu.

Probably before they were EU members when they intended to declare the Algeciras zone forbidding foreign aircraft flying either side of the rock. Obviously long since resolved as the Red Arrows still use the base there sometimes.

It's worth remembering when Spain asked to join the EU in 1986, UK had been a member for 13 years by then and the EU supported us over the rock as a condition for allowing Spain to join. But then we were EU members....two days ago we threw that membership away and told EU we don't want them so it's ironic to now see Brits complaining about the EU supporting one of its member countries which is what its supposed to do and did for us back in 1986.

Even more ironic to now hear Brexiters complaining about a sovereign country wanting to control its borders. If they want to control its border to Gibraltar, surely Brexiters in particular would respect this? ;-)

Archived