EU puts freedom of movement above saving lives........

Guest pelmetman

Given your daily increase in the number of infected, the EU should instead require each country in the community to impose single quarantines on British citizens.

Quarantine in France plus quarantine in Belgium plus quarantine in Luxembourg plus quarantine in Germany, etc., etc.

For those British who will go to Spain, of course, quarantines in France and in each Comunidad touched.

The EC are correct in what they say as we are still in transition and even a UK Border Force official questioned it's feasibility.

Ex-Border Force director general Tony Smith told the Daily Telegraph: 'It would be difficult to see how this could work operationally if you had a different process for the French.'

A European Commission spokesman said that Britain is still subject to EU free movement rules while it is in the transition period before leaving the bloc at the end of the year.

'Restrictions to free movement, as well as lifting restrictions, have to comply with the principles of proportionality and non-discrimination,' he said.

'We would expect that the UK in this case would apply the same kind of exemptions to arrivals from other member states, which are in a similar epidemiological situation as France.'

Also as it points out any UK traveller wanting to go on a fortnight's holiday to countries other than France will have be away from their place of work for four weeks as they will need to quarantine for two weeks on their return to Britain.

Calm down, Dave! :-) Follow this link: https://tinyurl.com/ycnxjmaa

It's as I've said before, you (plus the DM) don't understand how the EU works!

All EU states are, and have always been, free to set their own travel restrictions on public health grounds. But, in doing so, they must not unfairly favour or penalise other states.

Equally, where one state wishes to grant a travel freedom, it must also grant the same freedom to all other states, or state which it wishes to exclude and why.

Austria is in Schengen, and is allowed to restrict travel from other Schengen states on public health grounds. It just has to be clear about which states, and why. See the link for detail.

The UK, while still in transition, is still bound by the same rules regarding not discriminating unfairly in favour of, or against, any other EU member state. In the case of Ireland and France, we have failed to state which other states we also wish to admit, and why, and which we wish to restrict, how, and why.

Whether this was the UK government forgetting, or being deliberately provocative, is anyone's guess. But the Commissions intervention should have been an entirely foreseeable consequence of favouring two states out of 27 with no reason given, while still under an agreement to play by EU rules. It ain't rocket science! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-13 1:06 PM

All EU states are, and have always been, free to set their own travel restrictions on public health grounds. But, in doing so, they must not unfairly favour or penalise other states.

Equally, where one state wishes to grant a travel freedom, it must also grant the same freedom to all other states, or state which it wishes to exclude and why.

Austria is in Schengen, and is allowed to restrict travel from other Schengen states on public health grounds. It just has to be clear about which states, and why. See the link for detail.

The UK, while still in transition, is still bound by the same rules regarding not discriminating unfairly in favour of, or against, any other EU member state. In the case of Ireland and France, we have failed to state which other states we also wish to admit, and why, and which we wish to restrict, how, and why.

Whether this was the UK government forgetting, or being deliberately provocative, is anyone's guess. But the Commissions intervention should have been an entirely foreseeable consequence of favouring two states out of 27 with no reason given, while still under an agreement to play by EU rules. It ain't rocket science! :-D

It's funny how the EU objects to us being picky about who we let in, yet didn't appear to object to the queues at the border between Spain & France? *-) ..........

Selective nitpicking by our so called "Friends" in the EU in my view >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-05-14 7:55 AM

...……………….Selective nitpicking by our so called "Friends" in the EU in my view >:-) .........

Then you need to inform your view by reading the information provided via my post, which explains why your view is mistaken.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-15 12:39 PM

...……………….Selective nitpicking by our so called "Friends" in the EU in my view >:-) .........

Then you need to inform your view by reading the information provided via my post, which explains why your view is mistaken.

Has the EU threatened to take France or Spain to court? ;-) ...........

Just askin >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2020-05-15 2:24 PM

You just don't read, do you? I answered that point above. Numerous EU states (I cited Austria above) closed their borders to travellers from other EU states. The UK relaxed its border controls (until the wind changed and they unrelaxed them again) in favour of just France and Ireland, which discriminated against all the other states. It is that discrimination which the EU objected to. The closures adopted by France and Spain (and other states) applied equally to the citizens of all other EU states. So, no discrimination, no complaint.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-20 12:21 PM

You just don't read, do you? I answered that point above. Numerous EU states (I cited Austria above) closed their borders to travellers from other EU states. The UK relaxed its border controls (until the wind changed and they unrelaxed them again) in favour of just France and Ireland, which discriminated against all the other states. It is that discrimination which the EU objected to. The closures adopted by France and Spain (and other states) applied equally to the citizens of all other EU states. So, no discrimination, no complaint.

So what you are saying the EU objected to us closing our borders....... when they were opening their borders? ;-) ......

Kinda just shows they only want us for our money in my book :-| ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 4:22 PM

So what you are saying the EU objected to us closing our borders....... when they were opening their borders? ;-) ......

Jeez.....are you just being purposely obtuse or do you genuinely have difficulty in comprehending what Brian wrote? *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-05-20 5:04 PM

Jeez.....are you just being purposely obtuse or do you genuinely have difficulty in comprehending what Brian wrote? *-)

Nope ;-) ......

I'm just pointing out that the EU hasn't threatened to sue anyone except the UK :-| .......

Nice neighbours.......... Nasty Gangmaster *-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 5:15 PM

Nope ;-) ......

I'm just pointing out that the EU hasn't threatened to sue anyone except the UK :-| .......

Brian explained in crystal clear terms to you in a post SEVEN DAYS ago. Why do you need everything repeated back to you like a child?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-05-20 5:30 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 5:15 PM

Nope ;-) ......

Brian explained in crystal clear terms to you in a post SEVEN DAYS ago. Why do you need everything repeated back to you like a child?

How many pieces of bogroll do you need to wipe Brian's ar*e? ;-) .......

Just curious? :D .........

As I'm quite capable of putting your fellow muppet partner in his place (lol) .......

Guest pelmetman

Thanks for explaining another reason why we don't need to be part of the EU B-) .........

No they objected to us favouring the French and the Irish to the disadvantage of citizens of the other 26 states, which is exactly what I said above. The other states had closed their borders to exclude Covid, without favouring or penalising any particular state. Specsavers + little grey cells?

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 5:56 PM...………………..Thanks for explaining another reason why we don't need to be part of the EU B-) .........

That you want the UK to have the right to control its borders, but object to the EU doing the same. That's bound to be good for that famous trade deal - not! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-20 6:39 PM

No they objected to us favouring the French and the Irish to the disadvantage of citizens of the other 26 states, which is exactly what I said above. The other states had closed their borders to exclude Covid, without favouring or penalising any particular state. Specsavers + little grey cells?

Not sure they do binoculars and brain transplants. :-|

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-20 6:42 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 5:56 PM...………………..Thanks for explaining another reason why we don't need to be part of the EU B-) .........

That you want the UK to have the right to control its borders, but object to the EU doing the same. That's bound to be good for that famous trade deal - not! :-D

Ask me again on the 1st of January 2021 :D ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-05-20 6:50 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 5:50 PM...……………………..As I'm quite capable of putting your fellow muppet partner in his place (lol) .......

In your dreams, Baby! You ain't even close! :-D

Prolly not from the balcony you two muppets inhabit :D ........

Guest pelmetman

"The other states had closed their borders to exclude Covid"

Which is what Boris wanted to do *-) .........

So it's OK for them but not for us >:-( ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 6:58 PM

You edited out the part you wanted to avoid!

"The other states had closed their borders to exclude Covid, without favouring or penalising any particular state."

And thats exactly what Johnson tried to do (bib).....favour one state, France, whilst penalising others.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-05-20 7:23 PM

"The other states had closed their borders to exclude Covid, without favouring or penalising any particular state."

And thats exactly what Johnson tried to do (bib).....favour one state, France, whilst penalising others.

So when France closed their border to Spain :-| ........

That didn't penalise Spain or Portugal? *-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 7:34 PM

No because their border was also closing which was why they booted you out because you don't live there. Johnsons mistake was trying to favour France but shutting the door to other states. Quite why France i've no idea....maybe as daddy Stanley has applied for citizenship there.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-05-20 8:30 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-20 7:34 PM

No because their border was also closing which was why they booted you out because you don't live there. Johnsons mistake was trying to favour France but shutting the door to other states. Quite why France i've no idea....maybe as daddy Stanley has applied for citizenship there.

Did the EU threaten to sue them? >:-) .............Nope *-) ........

Archived