EV's in UK.....pointless or plugless?

Bulletguy

Prospective EV owners suffered another setback as government quietly backtracked on proposals to require every shop, office or factory in England to install at least one electric car charger if they have a large car park, prompting criticism by environmental campaigners.

The move has prompted concern in the car industry and among experts that public charger access will lag behind demand, as sales of electric vehicles accelerate ahead of the 2035 ban on sales of new fossil-fuelled internal combustion engines.

https://tinyurl.com/2p99686t

The grant for EV's has also been slashed plus reducing the cars eligible for the scheme, the third time it's been cut in two years.

https://tinyurl.com/3bkbt7kd

We can't even get the basics like signposts & potholes so how would we get the infrastructure for anything like EV?

They will just do it like they did covid - Tory MPs taking bungs to spend vast amounts of borrowed money buying useless crap we have to pay to store and then dispose of. >:-)

John52 - 2021-12-28 8:20 AM

We can't even get the basics like signposts & potholes so how would we get the infrastructure for anything like EV?

While we make thousands of signs for non-existent charge points, Germany gets on with the job and injects €800 million to build privately owned charge points at peoples homes. As of July 2021, more than 620,000 charging points had been applied for. These are in addition to public ones.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211025-bmvi.html

Bulletguy - 2021-12-28 3:36 PM

John52 - 2021-12-28 8:20 AM

While we make thousands of signs for non-existent charge points, Germany gets on with the job and injects €800 million to build privately owned charge points at peoples homes. As of July 2021, more than 620,000 charging points had been applied for. These are in addition to public ones.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211025-bmvi.html

Comes back to the UK housing crisis again doesn't it?

Far more people in Germany have somewhere to put a charging point. :-S

John52 - 2021-12-28 4:28 PM

My neighbour has got an EV charging point though.

No car because he can't drive.

He just got a charging point because they were free :-S

A shame for the neighbour that missed out but ends up with an EV! I imagine he wouldn't be able to plug into the non-driving neighbours power point.

I expect this will eventually happen to a few folk though, eg those that move house etc.

The last time we debated this on here, I disagreed with Jumpstart about hydrogen being the future, having looked at changing cars recently including pure ev and hybrids I'm beginning to think he might have been right.

I think we're at the Betamax and Vhs tipping point and it could be a expensive mistake to jump the wrong way.

Bulletguy - 2021-12-28 4:52 PM

I imagine he wouldn't be able to plug into the non-driving neighbours power point.

Good heavens No 8-)

Electricity has to be paid for 8-)

Its only the power point that was free

And when its free he can't turn it down :-S

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-28 6:12 PM

The last time we debated this on here, I disagreed with Jumpstart about hydrogen being the future, having looked at changing cars recently including pure ev and hybrids I'm beginning to think he might have been right.

I think we're at the Betamax and Vhs tipping point and it could be a expensive mistake to jump the wrong way.

ATM a hydrogen power car will cost you at least as much as a BEV but will more expensive to run, there is also atm a serious lack of filling stations, so much so that they are only sold in certain areas. For the majority of people a BEV will do the job perfectly adequately, but for our usage in motorhomes a BEV has it's limitations which might be where hydrogen is more useful.

Thats an interesting comparison we can all identify with! I remember buying my first VCR......a Sony Betamax! I liked it because other vcr's were bulky, particularly VHS, and the Sony I bought was slim and compact. The tapes also took up less room. But......as the saying goes, the rest is history and Betamax got binned.

Development of EV's is racing ahead, literally. There's even a Formula E now with all electric race cars and EV manufacturers have been developing road cars for years. It's largely down to infrastructure now and which country can get it together.

Battery cost is going to be a decisive factor too as I expect new battery packs will be damned expensive.

colin - 2021-12-28 8:49 PM

ATM a hydrogen power car will cost you at least as much as a BEV but will more expensive to run, there is also atm a serious lack of filling stations, so much so that they are only sold in certain areas. For the majority of people a BEV will do the job perfectly adequately, but for our usage in motorhomes a BEV has it's limitations which might be where hydrogen is more useful.

I think EV usage will continue to grow amongst those that have private driveways but without massive government investment in supercharging hubs for those living in terraced houses and flats the EV will not be a viable option. I accept green generation of hydrogen and its availability is currently a limiting factor but I think as we become even more dependent on renewables, hydrogen storage of off peak power generated will lead to it becoming the fuel of choice.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-28 9:11 PM

colin - 2021-12-28 8:49 PM

I think EV usage will continue to grow amongst those that have private driveways but without massive government investment in supercharging hubs for those living in terraced houses and flats the EV will not be a viable option. I accept green generation of hydrogen and its availability is currently a limiting factor but I think as we become even more dependent on renewables, hydrogen storage of off peak power generated will lead to it becoming the fuel of choice.

We are far off of 'green' hydrogen, not sure we will ever get there, it will be mainly from oil.

As for charging, it is being addressed in some areas, https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/electric-vehicles-and-rapid-charging , I can see supermarkets offering fast chargers as a way of getting customers.

EVs may be viable for some because the Government is hugely taxing petrol/diesel vehicles to subsidise them.

But if more people switch to EV who are they going to get the lost tax revenue from?

All very well for Germany with its surplus and its growing economy.

But with Britain's deficit, shrinking economy and Johnson's debts

Won't be the rich because his Brexit has kept the EU out of Her Majesty's Tax Havens.

John52 - 2021-12-29 1:11 PM

EVs may be viable for some because the Government is hugely taxing petrol/diesel vehicles to subsidise them.

But if more people switch to EV who are they going to get the lost tax revenue from?

All very well for Germany with its surplus and its growing economy.

But with Britain's deficit, shrinking economy and Johnson's debts

Won't be the rich because his Brexit has kept the EU out of Her Majesty's Tax Havens.

As usual the joe soaps will pay through tax increases, even those who very likely won't ever own one.

Archived