Elections

W3526602

Hi,

Just think! I pressure groups can force a government to re-take the referendum, their next move will be force the government to re-take general elections.

Er ... that 49-51 polll make no mention of the "don't knows". No does it mention those polled this time who abstained last time.

W3526602 - 2018-09-06 4:39 PM

Hi,

Just think! I pressure groups can force a government to re-take the referendum, their next move will be force the government to re-take general elections.

Er ... that 49-51 polll make no mention of the "don't knows". No does it mention those polled this time who abstained last time.

Given some of our resident moaners have been calling for a 2nd referendum since the last one we could end up with referendums much more frequent than our elections ... Mind a lot will depend on how many times it takes for the losers to win I suppose and get what they want

antony1969 - 2018-09-06 5:33 PM

Hi,

Given some of our resident moaners have been calling for a 2nd referendum since the last one we could end up with referendums much more frequent than our elections ... Mind a lot will depend on how many times it takes for the losers to win I suppose and get what they want

Well it was Jacob Reek Smug and John Redwood that both suggested a second referendum should be run once the negotiations took place and we knew what Brexit looked like. Oddly they are not saying it now though. Funny that.

Switzerland have referendums all the time.

If everything was as promised and Brexit was indeed looking just like it was sold to us I would say there was no need for a second vote but it doesnt does it? Nothing like it so of course the public should have the final say. What do you think they are going to do when whatever crappy deal they get is rejected by Parliament? They cant leave with no deal so who is going to decide?

Barryd999 - 2018-09-06 6:18 PM

Hi,

Well it was Jacob Reek Smug and John Redwood that both suggested a second referendum should be run once the negotiations took place and we knew what Brexit looked like. Oddly they are not saying it now though. Funny that.

If everything was as promised and Brexit was indeed looking just like it was sold to us I would say there was no need for a second vote but it doesnt does it? Nothing like it so of course the public should have the final say. What do you think they are going to do when whatever crappy deal they get is rejected by Parliament? They cant leave with no deal so who is going to decide?

"Suggested" ... Way before the rules for the first one were in place in 2011 ... Your clutching to anything Barry ... Step out of Barry World for a second and tell us what the rest of the world doesnt know about walking away with no deal ... What does Barry know that our politicians and PM and Mrs Merkel dont know that says we cant walk away with no deal

antony1969 - 2018-09-06 6:33 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-09-06 6:18 PM

Hi,

"Suggested" ... Way before the rules for the first one were in place in 2011 ... Your clutching to anything Barry ... Step out of Barry World for a second and tell us what the rest of the world doesnt know about walking away with no deal ... What does Barry know that our politicians and PM and Mrs Merkel dont know that says we cant walk away with no deal

Not clutching at anything, its what they said when they were campaigning for a referendum. Of course it makes sense. Would you buy a house and hand over your money without seeing it just based a dodgy salesman's patter?

The rest of the world and just about anyone who understands Brexit knows that leaving without a deal would be catastrophic and cant happen anyway because of NI which is written into law now. Apart from that you and Dave are the only people left and that headbanger bloke from Wetherspoons that want to leave with no deal. There is no mandate for it and its not possible.

<< Would you buy a house and hand over your money without seeing it just based a dodgy salesman's patter? >>>

Hi,

Been there, done that.

We bought a house in France off the owners spiel on the Internet. Also a house in South Wales from the estate agents details and a drive-by.

Mind you, they each were £10,000 (or Euro equivalent in the early 1990s), and we regarded the challenge as entertainment. But once committed, we had to make them work ... same as leaving with a "no deal".

We have no regrets, and walked away with a lot of money, both times.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-09-06 8:28 PM

Would you buy a house and hand over your money without seeing it just based a dodgy salesman's patter?

That's exactly what we do every 5 years when we vote in elections ;-) ...........

Neither situation is really comparable. Taking a punt with pocket money on a £10K house doesnt really matter if it doesnt work out and generally from what I have seen and read about such punts in shells of houses in France it seldom does work out. An election is based on a manifesto and generally you know what to expect and change is never that radical plus if they dont deliver you can vote them out in 5 years or often much sooner. They havent delivered on Brexit or the referendum and have no chance of doing so, therefore someone has to decide what to do. The pollys clearly cant so who is going to?.

Hi,

Whether you voted stay or leave in the referendum is partly immaterial. My belief is that whatever way we all marked our ballot paper nobody voted for what we have now. Given all the fats and details that have come to surface now I believe a lot of us may have voted differently.In a general election you at least have a manifesto which is supposed to give you a picture of what things will be like under whatever party. If there were no manifestos or details beforehand and all we got was a paper with labour or tory on it a lot of people would abstain.

cheers

derek

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-09-07 6:20 PM

Neither situation is really comparable. Taking a punt with pocket money on a £10K house doesnt really matter if it doesnt work out and generally from what I have seen and read about such punts in shells of houses in France it seldom does work out. An election is based on a manifesto and generally you know what to expect and change is never that radical plus if they dont deliver you can vote them out in 5 years or often much sooner. They havent delivered on Brexit or the referendum and have no chance of doing so, therefore someone has to decide what to do. The pollys clearly cant so who is going to?.

Well if things ain't better 5 years after we've left we can rejoin ;-) .........and if your Remoaner predictions are true we'll have a basket case economy so we'll be a net receiver of EU money >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-09-08 9:41 AM

Well if things ain't better 5 years after we've left we can rejoin ;-) .........and if your Remoaner predictions are true we'll have a basket case economy so we'll be a net receiver of EU money >:-) ..........

Perhaps that is the answer then Dave. If so then I hope we leave with no deal rather than in name only. That is what you and others on here seem to want. That way nobody can blame the remainers for holding Brexit back as we forge ahead into the brave new world.

Of course when we are hammering on the EU door saying how sorry we are I suspect they will welcome us back but of course we would probably have to accept the Euro, Schengen and no rebate or opt out clause for further federalisation. Maybe thats a good thing though because we seemed to be half in half out anyway with all our get out of jail free cards. Perhaps we can make a better job of it second time round and commit to being proper members and go with the flow rather than sending odious UKIP whingers to the EU.

Personally I would rather the public and the Tories saw sense and avoided all that before March next year but if not, I hope thats how it pans out.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-09-09 11:47 AM

Perhaps that is the answer then Dave. If so then I hope we leave with no deal rather than in name only. That is what you and others on here seem to want. That way nobody can blame the remainers for holding Brexit back as we forge ahead into the brave new world.

Of course when we are hammering on the EU door saying how sorry we are I suspect they will welcome us back but of course we would probably have to accept the Euro, Schengen and no rebate or opt out clause for further federalisation. Maybe thats a good thing though because we seemed to be half in half out anyway with all our get out of jail free cards. Perhaps we can make a better job of it second time round and commit to being proper members and go with the flow rather than sending odious UKIP whingers to the EU.

Personally I would rather the public and the Tories saw sense and avoided all that before March next year but if not, I hope thats how it pans out.

I guess we'll have to wait and see ;-) ............

Only 201 days to go B-) ..........

So I reckon the screaming pussy brigade are about to go to DEFCON1 (lol) ............

pelmetman - 2018-09-09 1:43 PM

So I reckon the screaming pussy brigade are about to go to DEFCON1 (lol) ............

I Wont be waiting to see Dave. As presumably one of the screaming pussy brigade you refer to ill carry on screaming if thats ok with you. 201 days is a long time in politics. We could see a general election or article 50 extended or revoked by then. Who knows, maybe even a "Peoples Vote"! Its certainly gathering momentum (No pun intended) now the trade unions are behind it and the TUC if Theresa doesnt come back with a deal that has SM and CU as part of it.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-09-09 2:45 PM

pelmetman - 2018-09-09 1:43 PM

I Wont be waiting to see Dave. As presumably one of the screaming pussy brigade you refer to ill carry on screaming if thats ok with you.

I've heard your singing ;-) ..........It's quite good when your not in Remoaner dirge mode *-) ..........

John52 - 2018-09-09 2:52 PM

Well if things ain't better 5 years after we've left we can rejoin ;-) ........

Can we *-)

So you still think we can dictate terms to the 27 other countries *-)

I guess it would depend how far up Trumps backside we have stuck ourselves and how quickly the ERG headbangers can deregulate everything and lower our standards out of kilter with the EU from everything from clean beaches to pharmaceuticals to chlorinated dodgy chicken. It will indeed be a fast race to the bottom for all but the Brexit masters. The longer we are out (if we are out) the bigger the pit will be to crawl back out of back to the EU.

Im still pretty confident that it wont happen. Support is growing constantly for remaining in the EU and for a further vote on the deal with an option to remain. The alternative is too dreadful to accept and people are waking up to that fact.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-09-09 2:52 PM

Well if things ain't better 5 years after we've left we can rejoin ;-) ........

Can we *-)

So you still think we can dictate terms to the 27 other countries *-)

Yep :D ...........

Seems to be working for Trump >:-) .........

You still don't understand how the capitalist system works do you comrade? ;-) ..........

Archived