Electric Cars

PAJay

Hi Guys, Fedup with reading all about brexit

So wondered what your opinions are about, no more Petrol;/Diesel Cars?

I am wondering where and how, we are going to get the Electricity to fuel Them?

Surely making Electricity takes the use of other fuels? So how will it help our environment? Maybe we can burn all our rubbish to produce it??

I was not much good at Science at school, so maybe I have it wrong?

I am not that bothered really, as I don't think I will be around to find out,

Even the batteries that will power them, will have to be manufactured ?

I can't see we would be able to travel to our son in Yorkshire, without stopping many times to charge up!

Will probably make it an over night stop some-where?

Again as I said , probably won't be here to worry about it or if I am , too old to care!!.By the way, are electric cars quicker than Horse and Cart?

PJay

I have sort of followed the development of electric cars over recent years and we were impressed with the normality and smoothness of a Nissan Leaf when we drove one a year or two ago.

The new Leaf is much improved so I am told, but lots of car makers are entering the market now so I expect improvements to speed up over the next year or three?

Battery life and convenient charging are the only real issues as the cost of purchase will drop with the economies of scale in time.

Many new 'uns have a real life range of 250 ish miles, which in itself isn't too bad, but my understanding is that you cannot rely on charge points being in working order or not in use or blocked by an inconsiderate parked motorist when you get there, and as they are unsupervised there is unlikely to be any help other than by phone which is not a lot of use if you can't plug in.

Unlike liquid fuel there is never a row of up to a dozen dispensers and it does take a few hours to get enough juice which is a lot more than ten minutes at a pump and pay in the kiosk.

You also need to be able to charge up for the return journey and that might be a problem unless you are parked on a convenient drive close to a convenient but probably very slow 13 amp plug.

So on balance, pure electric is not for us - yet, although we have had several hybrid cars all of which are unexciting to drive but totally reliable and smooth (being Toyota) for about 8 years now.

As far as generating electricity goes, there is enough hot air and bovine doo dah in this country and on here in particular to generate enongh power to drive us all around the next few bends!

PAJay - 2018-10-19 7:00 PM

Hi Guys, Fedup with reading all about brexit

So wondered what your opinions are about, no more Petrol;/Diesel Cars?

I am wondering where and how, we are going to get the Electricity to fuel Them?

Surely making Electricity takes the use of other fuels? So how will it help our environment? Maybe we can burn all our rubbish to produce it??

I was not much good at Science at school, so maybe I have it wrong?

I am not that bothered really, as I don't think I will be around to find out,

Even the batteries that will power them, will have to be manufactured ?

I can't see we would be able to travel to our son in Yorkshire, without stopping many times to charge up!

Will probably make it an over night stop some-where?

Again as I said , probably won't be here to worry about it or if I am , too old to care!!.By the way, are electric cars quicker than Horse and Cart?

PJay

Hugely expensive......probably cheaper to buy a used Lambo. But hey let's imagine everyone buys one (well austerity is over now...apparently....oops sorry PJ....no politics eh?). Cost of electric which has already risen a mind blowing 18% this year alone will go stratospheric with plug in cars, 1) to cover loss of exorbitant fuel duty and 2) to buy millions of power points to mount on every street corner.

Overnight stops? Yes that's part of the grand master plan. New Travelodges are being opened all the time....a cheap night is about 50 quid if you book ahead so you do need to know when and where in advance your battery is about to die, otherwise expect hotel charges for a room.

Horse and cart? Are you trying to put the Cash Cams out of business? What a spoil sport!

My science knowledge stops at GCSE so like PJay I haven't much of a clue about electric cars or developments in science that make them viable. I do like the idea of them though. Isn't there a plan to have some sort of constant charging method as they go along on certain motorways/roads.?Will we ever be able to power trucks with them I wonder.

I don't like the idea of more windfarms as they are becoming a blot on the land/seascape. I've seen some pretty ugly instalations of solar panels on land and on buildings. Haven't a clue how the one works on our van but at least it's not visible. I wish someone would come up with a method of harvesting wind/wave/solar power in an unobtrusive way.

We have to do more things that help save the planet. I am not a global warming denier.

Veronica

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-10-20 9:10 AM

My science knowledge stops at GCSE so like PJay I haven't much of a clue about electric cars or developments in science that make them viable. I do like the idea of them though. Isn't there a plan to have some sort of constant charging method as they go along on certain motorways/roads.?Will we ever be able to power trucks with them I wonder.

I don't like the idea of more windfarms as they are becoming a blot on the land/seascape. I've seen some pretty ugly instalations of solar panels on land and on buildings. Haven't a clue how the one works on our van but at least it's not visible. I wish someone would come up with a method of harvesting wind/wave/solar power in an unobtrusive way.

We have to do more things that help save the planet. I am not a global warming denier.

Veronica

" I am not a global warming denier."

I am :D ..............Well sort of ;-) ...........

I'm denying that man has got much to do with climate change *-) ........

The climate is changing........But it's always changed :-| .........

This latest bandwagon is just a big con by the vested interests who are out to make a fast buck out of something that's always happened .......and will always happen >:-) ...........

Signed

King Canute :D ........

I don't like the idea of more windfarms as they are becoming a blot on the land/seascape. I've seen some pretty ugly instalations of solar panels on land and on buildings. Haven't a clue how the one works on our van but at least it's not visible.

Veronica

Neither do i. They've been trying to get a windfarm built on Lewis in the Outer Hebrides which i think is disgusting. I saw the proposed site when i toured there 10 or 12 years back. One of my nephews works in the windfarm industry (f'in windmills as i call them!) and we've clashed swords a few times over the subject....made even worse since he became an ex--smoker turned ferociously 'anti' so the cheeky little B tries preaching to me not only about that, but banging on about his bloody windmills! *-)

I wish someone would come up with a method of harvesting wind/wave/solar power in an unobtrusive way.

They have.....take a look at this.

Overnight stops? Yes that's part of the grand master plan. New Travelodges are being opened all the time....a cheap night is about 50 quid if you book ahead so you do need to know when and where in advance your battery is about to die, otherwise expect hotel charges for a room.

EXACTLY

Horse and cart? Are you trying to put the Cash Cams out of business? What a spoil sport!

I was suggesting that it would maybe take as long in elec car . as it did in years gone by , in horse draw carriages At least they could change the horses for different fresh ones , at coaching halts.

Maybe that could happen , you change your car and leave it to be charged for the next person!! OR on second thoughts just swop batteries!! (while refreshing oneself at a Travel lodge!)

PJay

Veronica

I agree with you entirely Veronica Global warming/freezing has always happened. The planet will always be evolving

But I thought the idea was cut carbon emissions? So how will using more electric save on that?

If you travel on the M25, you won't know if the queue is for charging or just volume of traffic!

Another idea thought up by politicians, but not followed through.

Remember Dr Beeching? Cut loads of rail lines, now we need them back to take transport off the roads.

I loved the age of smelly dirty steam trains (guess thay wont come back), except as tourist attractions

PJay

I believe there are around 40 million cars registered and around 200,000 are electric or part electric, which is around 0.5%.

How on earth is the system going to cope with 40million electric cars on the road?

The range is too low/unrelialable for me.

Not enough reliable charge points

Who wants to wait for the battery to charge up?

Say you visit someone and need to top up - do you steal their electricity or pay for it?

Lots of people have no access to run a charge cable at home.

Cars too expensive.

Hybrids are a massive con with ridiculous emissions numbers that bear even less resemblance to real life than petrol or diesel.

Too much political posturing related to this.

I believe electric cars will need to have noise generators fitted. I have seen a video for a Jag one - ridiculous noise.

I like the idea of electric as a lot of my journeys are short but I don't trust it at the moment so will stick with what I know.

I'm waiting to hear how people living in tower blocks will be able to charge their cars at home.

Will they all have an EHU to each flat - dangling from the window ?

( How long will the battery in a parked car hold a usable charge ? )

:-|

Don636 - 2018-10-20 10:42 PM

I believe there are around 40 million cars registered and around 200,000 are electric or part electric, which is around 0.5%.

How on earth is the system going to cope with 40million electric cars on the road?

The range is too low/unrelialable for me.

Not enough reliable charge points

Who wants to wait for the battery to charge up?

Say you visit someone and need to top up - do you steal their electricity or pay for it?

Lots of people have no access to run a charge cable at home.

Cars too expensive.

Hybrids are a massive con with ridiculous emissions numbers that bear even less resemblance to real life than petrol or diesel.

Too much political posturing related to this.

I believe electric cars will need to have noise generators fitted. I have seen a video for a Jag one - ridiculous noise.

I like the idea of electric as a lot of my journeys are short but I don't trust it at the moment so will stick with what I know.

I have a Ford Focus eco. The engine is so quiet that on occasions I have got out , not realising that it is still on. Good job that you can not lock the door from outside when it is.! As it is a keyless car, you don't have a key to take out of the ignition. Personaly don't like these keyless cars. Oh has a car that is not only keyless, but does not have a "proper" hand brake. Just a silly little button.

I can't see how a lot of the advancement in cars is better.

PJay

All cars have a key of some sort. On mine you can leave it in your pocket and open and close the door by touching the handle. I thought it was just a gimmic but now think it is great.

Other gadgets on the car that I thought were uneccessary but now really like:

Tailgate opening by waving your foot under the bumper - handy at times

Heated steering wheel - wonderful

Electric handbrake and auto on when stopping in traffic - great, until it packed up the other day on the drive in the on position.

Auto lights dipping - really does work

Gadgets that I really wanted and really like:

Heated windscreen - fantastic

360 birdseye camera - makes parking a large car so much easier - probably my favourite gadget.

Some gadgets I don't rate and I have no choice about them as they are standard or come with something else I wanted as a pack.

Adaptive cruise control - waste of time

Auto steering on motorways - rubbish, never use

Self parking - rubbish, never use

Blind spot and proximity warning - rubbish as it goes off lots of times for no good reason and scared the s**t out of me.

Voice control - rubbish, feel stupid using it so never use it.

Mood lighting with choice of colours - really?

Bulletguy - 2018-10-19 9:17 PM Overnight stops? Yes that's part of the grand master plan. New Travelodges are being opened all the time....a cheap night is about 50 quid if you book ahead so you do need to know when and where in advance your battery is about to die, otherwise expect hotel charges for a room.

PAJay - 2018-10-20 10:21 PM I was suggesting that it would maybe take as long in elec car . as it did in years gone by , in horse draw carriages At least they could change the horses for different fresh ones , at coaching halts.

Maybe that could happen , you change your car and leave it to be charged for the next person!! OR on second thoughts just swop batteries!! (while refreshing oneself at a Travel lodge!)

PJay

There is a desire (among some strange folk) to return back to the dark ages. ;-)

Though there are ways around avoiding the nonsense of having to plug your car in on hook up every 50 miles or so.

Apply the Baylis theory.....inventor of the wind up radio who brought music to the lives of people in sub-tropical Africa and countries where electricity didn't exist.

Back in the 30's most cars were fitted with a cranking handle to start the thing. Now, the Baylis invention could be applied here by connecting a cranking handle to a dynamo. Each time your electric car shudders to a halt through dead batteries, simply wind her up with the "dyno-handle". A few hundred turns and you're good to go.....for another 20 miles maybe and then start winding again!

The other alternative of course is wind power by mounting a set of sails on the roof.

Whats more....both the above come totally free to run.....but i'm 100% certain government would find a way of taxing it.

Don636 - 2018-10-20 11:28 PM

All cars have a key of some sort. On mine you can leave it in your pocket and open and close the door by touching the handle. I thought it was just a gimmic but now think it is great.

Electric handbrake and auto on when stopping in traffic - great, until it packed up the other day on the drive in the on position.

360 birdseye camera - makes parking a large car so much easier - probably my favourite gadget.

Some gadgets I don't rate and I have no choice about them as they are standard or come with something else I wanted as a pack.

Blind spot and proximity warning - rubbish as it goes off lots of times for no good reason and scared the s**t out of me.

What are you driving......Starship Enterprise? 8-)

Surprised you've never owned a car with heated front screen though. :-S And yes they are 'fantastic'....in fact given the length of time rear heated screens have been around i've no idea why front ones haven't been made standard fitment on ALL cars.

I had one on an old banger.....an 02 Ford Focus. I was still working then and used to do shifts so in winter it was an essential. I think you will find front heated screens are standard to most Fords. You need to move downmarket and buy a Ford!

Perhaps the daftest, and most annoying i've driven is my daughter-in-laws Audi which has this batty "stop/start" thing so every time you come to halt at traffic lights, it turns the engine off! *-) Good job my son was with me at the time because i thought it had broke down!

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 12:12 AM

Surprised you've never owned a car with heated front screen though. :-S And yes they are 'fantastic'....in fact given the length of time rear heated screens have been around i've no idea why front ones haven't been made standard fitment on ALL cars.

I had one on an old banger.....an 02 Ford Focus. I was still working then and used to do shifts so in winter it was an essential. I think you will find front heated screens are standard to most Fords. You need to move downmarket and buy a Ford!

Perhaps the daftest, and most annoying i've driven is my daughter-in-laws Audi which has this batty "stop/start" thing so every time you come to halt at traffic lights, it turns the engine off! *-) Good job my son was with me at the time because i thought it had broke down!

Fords have had heated front screens for years. They had the patent, so no other firm could use it. Can you get them on other makes now? We have the stop start on our cars, no problem to use

I find the parking sensors most annoying, and prefer not to use the sat nav, as SHE is annoying as well

The thing I miss, is not having a sun roof. I had one on a toyota corolla for many years, and liked having it open a fraction, I am not a fan of aircon in cars!! I am glad that I do not have to use hand signals any more, which I did when I passed my test, many moons ago.

So most modern cars a great improvement, but IMO some not necessary

Still not sure about the electric ones. I guess there will be a choice still? If not what happens to the old vintage cars, will they still be allowed on roads? I hope so

I agree with the sunroof. The Starship Enterprise (a Volvo V90) has a huge opening panaramic one and that is another gadget I really like as it lets a huge amount of light into the car. I had a BMW 520 touring for a few days whilst mine was in having the dodgy electric parking brake fixed (electronics issue) and, with an all black interior, including the roof lining, and no sunroof it was like a black hole inside. Meant to be sporty but it was anything but. By the way, the idea that BMWs are way more sporty than a Volvo is a rather large exaggeration these days. Perhaps, if they are driven to the max and way over the speed limits they might corner a bit flatter but at the expense of ride quality and who drives like that all the time anyway.

Bulletguy - 2018-10-20 2:39 PM

I don't like the idea of more windfarms as they are becoming a blot on the land/seascape. I've seen some pretty ugly instalations of solar panels on land and on buildings. Haven't a clue how the one works on our van but at least it's not visible.

Veronica

Neither do i. They've been trying to get a windfarm built on Lewis in the Outer Hebrides which i think is disgusting. I saw the proposed site when i toured there 10 or 12 years back. One of my nephews works in the windfarm industry (f'in windmills as i call them!) and we've clashed swords a few times over the subject....made even worse since he became an ex--smoker turned ferociously 'anti' so the cheeky little B tries preaching to me not only about that, but banging on about his bloody windmills! *-)

I wish someone would come up with a method of harvesting wind/wave/solar power in an unobtrusive way.

I see there a mixed views on whether this is a viable method. It was reported in this Guardian article that two development companies have gone bust. The last one in 2015. May be just a matter of time but from what I have read it seems unlikely that it will come to pass for a few decades at least- pity.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/16/uk-wave-power-far-too-costly-warns-energy-research-body

I reckon one of the most annoying gadgets on one of our cars is the stop / start system.

I was once stuck in a stop/start crawl along the M11 for nearly an hour and this pointless gadget was continually restarting the engine every few yards.

What effect this has on the battery and starter motor over the years is hard to imagine.

Fortunately I then consulted the manual and found I could turn it off.

;-)

malc d - 2018-10-21 11:06 AM

I reckon one of the most annoying gadgets on one of our cars is the stop / start system.

I was once stuck in a stop/start crawl along the M11 for nearly an hour and this pointless gadget was continually restarting the engine every few yards.

What effect this has on the battery and starter motor over the years is hard to imagine.

;-)

Surprising what you can /cannot find by the reading the manual Malc

It was not working in OH new car,(to him) he likes it. Found out that the battery was low! Ford kept the car for 24hrs, as they though this could have been a NEW problem, But it was Ok after a full charge. But is it surprising that batteries run down , with all the gimmicks, these days

I am hoping that should I need a mobility scooter, they will improve the battery range, as we live at the top of a steep hill, going down Ok, but the strain going up? Maybe the our local council will put chargers halfway up! There are plenty of these scooters around this area!! We even have a shop in our small precinct !

PJay

PAJay - 2018-10-21 8:45 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 12:12 AM

Fords have had heated front screens for years. They had the patent, so no other firm could use it. Can you get them on other makes now?

Don't know for sure though by now i'd expect it, particularly on any new car.

We have the stop start on our cars, no problem to use.

Uff....i didn't like it at all! Nice car to drive but i couldn't put up with the nonsense. It's a bit of a "greeny" thing....emissions and all that crap and has it's roots in Switzerland....Swiss obsess over 'saving the planet'! If this sounds a bit nuts it's because it is but it's actual fact. Some years back (about 20 years now), Swiss "greenies" banged on about cars at traffic lights with their engines running and drivers should switch them off until the lights change. Then some Swiss bod with an engineering brain who understood how engines [worked pointed out the lunacy of their argument by proving each time an engine restarts it kicks out more emissions than if it had been left running. So the "greenies" went off to look for something else.

I am glad that I do not have to use hand signals any more, which I did when I passed my test, many moons ago.

Remember these? I had them on the first car i owned which was the same as this...a Moggie Minor. :D

So most modern cars a great improvement, but IMO some not necessary

Still not sure about the electric ones. I guess there will be a choice still? If not what happens to the old vintage cars, will they still be allowed on roads? I hope so

Lots of unnecessary rubbish in modern cars now, particularly computerised electronics which i'm convinced was part of a plot by manufacturers to stop the 'diy' mechanic/owner and force them to go to garages to be plugged in, analysed, and much 'tut tutting' later, be presented with a 100 quid bill for a set of HT leads or whatever.

Vintage and veteran cars will always be allowed but there are also some very worthwhile 'collector' cars which don't quite fall in that category. Moggie Minors have a huge following in UK and mint condition models command pretty serious prices now. Piece of cake to maintain too and parts in plentiful supply. A few engineering places have made a business from manufacturing various parts plus there are specialists who will do a complete rebuild on your Moggie....at a price of course and it won't be cheap!

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 4:50 PM

Lots of unnecessary rubbish in modern cars now, particularly computerised electronics which i'm convinced was part of a plot by manufacturers to stop the 'diy' mechanic/owner and force them to go to garages to be plugged in, analysed, and much 'tut tutting' later, be presented with a 100 quid bill for a set of HT leads or whatever.

Vintage and veteran cars will always be allowed but there are also some very worthwhile 'collector' cars which don't quite fall in that category. Moggie Minors have a huge following in UK and mint condition models command pretty serious prices now. Piece of cake to maintain too and parts in plentiful supply. A few engineering places have made a business from manufacturing various parts plus there are specialists who will do a complete rebuild on your Moggie....at a price of course and it won't be cheap!

I couldn't agree more ;-) ............

There's hope for some of you loony lefties after all :D .......

Don636 - 2018-10-21 9:27 AM

I agree with the sunroof. The Starship Enterprise (a Volvo V90) has a huge opening panaramic one and that is another gadget I really like as it lets a huge amount of light into the car. I had a BMW 520 touring for a few days whilst mine was in having the dodgy electric parking brake fixed (electronics issue) and, with an all black interior, including the roof lining, and no sunroof it was like a black hole inside. Meant to be sporty but it was anything but. By the way, the idea that BMWs are way more sporty than a Volvo is a rather large exaggeration these days. Perhaps, if they are driven to the max and way over the speed limits they might corner a bit flatter but at the expense of ride quality and who drives like that all the time anyway.

Oh right so i wasn't far off in description?!! (lol)

I'd have my reservations about 'panorama' style sunroofs though after seeing a Ford Fiesta totally flip on to it's roof after the guy got cut up on a roundabout. The roof was solid and actually held up well...the driver simply opened the door and got out! Not sure how a panorama roof would fare unless bullet proof? :-S

Violet1956 - 2018-10-21 9:29 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-20 2:39 PM

Veronica

I see there a mixed views on whether this is a viable method. It was reported in this Guardian article that two development companies have gone bust. The last one in 2015. May be just a matter of time but from what I have read it seems unlikely that it will come to pass for a few decades at least- pity.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/16/uk-wave-power-far-too-costly-warns-energy-research-body

Yeah they're determined to get their bloody windmills up aren't they? Damn things are sprouting like weeds.

malc d - 2018-10-21 11:06 AM

;-)

More effect on your pocket. Replacement has to be with a start/stop specific battery which i imagine will higher priced than a standard.

I agree though....totally pointless gadgets and damned annoying.

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 5:03 PM

Don636 - 2018-10-21 9:27 AM

Oh right so i wasn't far off in description?!! (lol)

I'd have my reservations about 'panorama' style sunroofs though after seeing a Ford Fiesta totally flip on to it's roof after the guy got cut up on a roundabout. The roof was solid and actually held up well...the driver simply opened the door and got out! Not sure how a panorama roof would fare unless bullet proof? :-S

On my Corolla , the sun roof was a solid one. Great car, I had it for 18 years, and when I part exchanged it it still had the original exhaust pipe, but did have to have a new Radiator Only had 33, 000 miles on the clock as well

Dave I do remember the old morris cars. Mostly I have stuck to Fords. My first being a 195? Escort 100E with the side valve engine. You could see the road through the floor, until Oh repaired it with Stainless steel . Just a problem when going uphill in the rain. had to take foot off pedal while the wipers worked.

My favorite was Capri Laser . Probably could not get in and out easily now !!

PJay

Archived