Electric question

net-traveller

Not being very up on electrics we tend to be very wary and always use a tester plug when hooking up. If this shows reverse polarity we shove the adapter in even with a euro plug.

Came across a site last week where the plug showed no earth so tried a few other sockets and boxes - all showed no earth. Out of pure curiousity added the adapter to the mix. Still showed all OK but no earth. Decided not to stay. Reception weren't too pleased and insisted that it was safe as all the safeguards were in their boxes and that nobody else questioned it including the Brits. We were not reassured as we concerned for the safety in our van not their boxes.

Can anyone tell us if we were being a bit OTT?

;-)

I'd say you did the right thing although you didn't need to actually leave the site just not use the hookup. Funnily enough a customer today told me that on one site in Europe where their tester showed no earth a Brit on site told them to put their steadies down. They did and as if by magic found they had an earth connection and the tester gave them the all clear. I suspect the ground may have been damp.

D.

Archived