Electrolux RM4270 fridge (caravan)

gb2849

Could anyone please shed some light on the problem with my fridge?

First of all,it used to work ok using the site electricity 230v setting, but It has now stopped working (doesn't keep cold, the freezer compartment has defrosted, even though the power switch is illuminated?

I then tried to switch over to LPG, it lit up through the window but after leaving It for a day It never cooled down?

Does this mean the element has gone or does the gas not use the element?

I also read one comment posted on the site mentioning Inverting the fridge?

Could this work for my problem or is it something more serious?

any suggestions or comments are grateful.

If it doesn't work on gas or electricity, I'm afraid it is possible it has lost its refridgerant.  You need a good Dometic refridgeration engineer to diagnose the problem.  No, the gas circuit does not use the same means of heating the circuit as the 240V, and the 12V is also separate again.  Both electric heating elments resemble segments of an electric kettle element.  Both can be replaced, but if the fridge doesn't work on gas it seems more radical, especially as you say you could see the flame but no cooling resulted.

I'd suggest you contact Dometic on 01582 494111, and ask for Hugh Lamberton.  If you tell him where you are based he should be able to tell you who best to contact for repair advice.

Hi Gary and welcome. Often see questions like this on the forums but not qualified to answer. There are plenty who are of course, but with the best will in the world subjects covering gas, electricity and other possible safety issues should only be dealt with hands on by experts and recognised workshops. Expensive items to be replaced and lets hope your,s is a simple repair job.

Absorption fridges are prone to internal blockages in the refrigerant circuit. If you can safely remove the fridge try turning it upside down for a few hours before refitting it (right way up of course). If it still doesn't work then it probably needs replacing.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-05-22 7:29 AM Absorption fridges are prone to internal blockages in the refrigerant circuit. If you can safely remove the fridge try turning it upside down for a few hours before refitting it (right way up of course). If it still doesn't work then it probably needs replacing. D.

I forgot that bit of the reply.  When the nice Dometic recommended engineer came to fix a fridge problem for us just before Christmas, I asked him about this.  His reply was that it is a bit of an urban myth.  He explained at some length how the circuit works, pointing out that merely inverting the fridge wouldn't alter anything internally, so there was no logical reason for it to work.  He added that if the refrigerant was nearing the end of its life, it can tend to coagulate, and a gob (my word) of waxy refrigerant, or even a particle of corrosion, could block the circuit.  However, as he pointed out, although inverting the fridge may give respite, the cause of the problem would be very likely to drop back to the the blocked position at some time thereafter.

I'm no expert, I'm just repeating what I was told, however!

I take your point Brian and the words of wisdom from a Dometic engineer one would hope to be correct but a friend of mine had this with the fridge freezer in his American RV. I suggested he try inverting the fridge for a couple of hours and replacing it which he did. The fridge came back to life and still functions perfectly well after over twelve months. It might work, it might not but as a replacement fridge ( I don't think they can be re-gassed) is about £400 - £600 its a cheap alternative that may just work.

D.

How true, Dave, how very true!  Definately worth a try before binning it then, and possibly leaving it on mains while out of the van for a few days, to see if it keeps going before re-installing. 

Wouldn't like to meet your friend on a dark night though, if he could pick up a Dometic fridge-freezer, upend it, and shake it.  I had one like that.  Agricultural contractor, used to pick up sacks of spuds, hoik them over his head, and throw them the length of a 10 tonner's buckboard.  Built like the proverbial brick outhouse!  We reckoned he was as tall lying down as standing up.

Diamond Dave eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Thanks Brian and Dave,

All comment were very informative, I will give the Inverting method a try this w/end first (try and save myself some money).

If this fails to rectify the concern then i will give the mentioned service engineer a ring.

thanks again.

Gary.

Archived