Eltons Got A Point ...

Birdbrain

That article is twelve years old but I also agree with Elton (Ive always been a top fan). Comedy should have no limits as long as its funny and not just blatantly attacking a single religion or section of society in a racist way. Loved his comedy and read all his books. Stark is one of the funniest but amazingly prophetic books ever.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-17 4:57 PM

That article is twelve years old but I also agree with Elton (Ive always been a top fan). Comedy should have no limits as long as its funny and not just blatantly attacking a single religion or section of society in a racist way. Loved his comedy and read all his books. Stark is one of the funniest but amazingly prophetic books ever.

Comedy should just be comedy shouldn't it ??? ... It was for a long time before the PC brigade tore into it ... Who'd dare go on national TV and make a joke about any aspect of Islam these days ??? ... Who'd dare go on national TV and question Islam ???

Guest rael
Birdbrain - 2020-05-17 6:41 PM

Comedy should just be comedy shouldn't it ??? ... It was for a long time before the PC brigade tore into it ... Who'd dare go on national TV and make a joke about any aspect of Islam these days ??? ... Who'd dare go on national TV and question Islam ???

For what its worth, I'd quite happily question all religion. The amount of war that has raged in the name of religion is hideous.

rael - 2020-05-17 8:49 PM

For what its worth, I'd quite happily question all religion. The amount of war that has raged in the name of religion is hideous.

As a primary cause religion is a surprisingly small number. According to this wiki link just 123 out of 1,763 recorded conflicts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war

Guest rael
Bulletguy - 2020-05-17 9:59 PM

As a primary cause religion is a surprisingly small number. According to this wiki link just 123 out of 1,763 recorded conflicts.

That few? its still 123 too many though. I expect the other 1640 were caused by politics?

rael - 2020-05-17 9:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-17 9:59 PM

That few? its still 123 too many though. I expect the other 1640 were caused by politics?

Yes i was surprised tbh. just 6.9% though a read through explains how/why some are deemed 'religious' where in reality it's political.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-17 5:41 PM

I agree. There was "The real housewives of ISIS though" (sketch show called "Revolting" on BBC) and there are a fair few Muslim comedians who send up Islam. I agree with you though, comedy breaks down barriers if its done right, Islam needs to realise that I think and people need to stop being offended on other peoples behalf.

I thought this was groundbreaking and hilarious.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/06/real-housewives-of-isis-they-want-muslims-to-be-offended-but-we-arent

Bulletguy - 2020-05-17 11:04 PM

Jews and Muslims sharing a comedy night held in a Synagogue is not what the far right want to know about though.

Nice idea given the massive increase in anti-Semitism and much of that by Muslims ... Unfortunately if the night was about Jews and Muslims sharing a comedy night then looking at the audience it would suggest the Muslims didn't turn up , there weren't any ... Lets hope though that those "Zionists" in the crowd did "understand English irony" , which anti-Semite was it who said that again ??? ... Happy Monday everyone

Archived