Emmerdale Farm

ROON

Is it only me? I don't watch this programme because I think it is a load of rubbish, but I switched on and saw the last ten minutes last night (the court case) and saw the first ten minutes today.

I have had to switch off. I cried all last night and now I'm sobbing again. It is a real physical pain...... I can't bear to think that someone somewhere must be going through what that poor couple are going through because of a stupid nurse mix up at the maternity hospital. I am hurting so much it is unbelievable.......I can hardly breathe. it's just a soap for crying out loud .. oh dear wrong phrase.

Is anyone else being affected like me? Is it because we are mums? Or am I just plain daft? (I won't be offended :-(

Guest peter
Get a life! It's only a soap for god's sake, and a pretty crap one at that. They lost the plot on this one years ago.

Hi Joy, we don't watch any soaps (well we do watch Holby but I'm not sure that qualifies as a soap yet :D ) so I'm not sure what it is you're referring to but.................. every now and then one or other of the regular soaps takes up a subject that can be heart rending to anyone involved with the real life version. It might be foster parenting, or divorce, or being accused of child molesting wrongly but it can be very upsetting to some peope even though it is "only a soap". The problem for sensitive, thinking people is they watch the soap and then think of the real people involved in similar situations and feel very helpless about it all :-( .

D.

Roon, if it upset you so much tell yourself it is a soap, this may occur but most unlikely in the UK in this day and age.

There is nothing wrong with being sensitive it would be a very abrasive world if we all took Peter's attitude.

Don't watch it any more if it upsets you no point, there is enough bad out without upsetting yourself over a Emmerdale story line.

I must admit after a lifetime of being self employed with all that entails it takes a lot to upset me now. Carol.

Guest peter
davenewell@home - 2008-06-06 8:11 PM

Hi Joy, we don't watch any soaps (well we do watch Holby but I'm not sure that qualifies as a soap yet :D ) so I'm not sure what it is you're referring to but.................. every now and then one or other of the regular soaps takes up a subject that can be heart rending to anyone involved with the real life version. It might be foster parenting, or divorce, or being accused of child molesting wrongly but it can be very upsetting to some peope even though it is "only a soap". The problem for sensitive, thinking people is they watch the soap and then think of the real people involved in similar situations and feel very helpless about it all :-( .

D.

How very understanding of you Dave. I knew you were a big softy at heart. :D

Yeah, thanks all. Those of you saying we think of our real life situations are right. I lost three babies before my daughter was born healthy and I think that all came back to me ... the loss and desperation. She is really precious because of that .... I only think of my other little ones in the middle of the night normally after a nightmare or something brings it back ... but suddenly there it is on screen. I'm ok now though, I've had a cup of tea and taken deep breaths. :-S

Joy very sad to here about your loss and yes it upset me Laurels crying she rally played the part well didnt she .

Still it didnt get thought about for long as I am nursing fred here on the setee and i look at her and think well I have to be strong for you if I think about the sad bts or dwell on them then i am a heap in the corner and no good to anyone and I am the biggest blabber of them all.

Roon, with your last post it of course became clear why you were upset, and any mum would be, quite understand where you were coming from, I did wonder what the trigger was that had the affect on you, so the comments made by most of us were inapporiate. I am sure you get so much pleasure from your daughter, things we read are not always black and white. Carol.

Thanks again for your replies. Michele, I don't know about Fred but I have read between the lines a little and if ever you do need a little bit of strength or someone to talk to, please pm me and I'll be here as quick as I can for you. We all need friends at times when we have circumstances in our lives which are outside our control ... you will note I don't say problems, because that makes it look as though we would wish to be without them .... we just wish we could make everything all right for those we love don't we ... and I am sure we DO make a difference to the world in the strength we give out to them alone. Joy

I watched it Joy and the acting was very convincing but I have the feeling that Laren cant do this to Shelly (I think thats her name). It was much worse when Laurens baby died :-( I was watching it at my Sister-in-Laws and she was upset but she couldnt believe it when she looked at me and I was just sat watching with tears streaming down my face! she said "Margaret they are only acting " I was very embarressed when they all started laughing at me.

Archived