English bridge tolls

John52

This is what happened when my hero tried to pay the Humber Bridge Toll in cash :-D

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/humber-bridge-cashless-payments-card-4811097

(I have 2 debit cards and 2 credit cards with different banks but I don't use them on principle - because a cashless society excludes disadvantaged people.

Can't demand to pay tolls in cash up here though because there are no tolls - they are paid from your English taxpayers money Johnson sends us to bribe us not to vote for indepenence, and maintain his empire at your expense.)

Much as I admire his spirit, I have to say he is mistaken though

see: https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/one-in-three-people-have-had-cash-payments-refused-during-the-pandemic-aHQaX2g0Eeih

'It's the business owner's right to decide what payment methods they want to accept.

Not everyone is aware of this, with confusion stemming from the fact that cash is often described as 'legal tender'.

This doesn't mean it's your legal right to use it in a shop. In fact, the Bank of England says that legal tender has a 'narrow technical meaning' to do with paying debts and 'has no real use in everyday life'.

John52 - 2022-08-09 10:33 AM

This is what happened when my hero tried to pay the Humber Bridge Toll in cash :-D

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/humber-bridge-cashless-payments-card-4811097

Sometimes it's best to pay by card.

One year driving in Croatia on the toll road to the border of Bosnia, without thinking I handed the guy a 20 euro note......and got back a pile of Croatian currency! No use to me as I wasn't going back into Croatia that year so I still have something like £16 or 17 quid in Kuna!

I should (and could) have paid by card! (lol)

Bulletguy - 2022-08-09 8:19 PM

John52 - 2022-08-09 10:33 AM

Sometimes it's best to pay by card.

One year driving in Croatia on the toll road to the border of Bosnia, without thinking I handed the guy a 20 euro note......and got back a pile of Croatian currency! No use to me as I wasn't going back into Croatia that year so I still have something like £16 or 17 quid in Kuna!

I should (and could) have paid by card! (lol)

It would be more convenient for me to pay by card

But I think of all the disadvantaged people who can't, like those who can't get a bank account for a variety of reasons thats not their fault, their card stops working, or domestic abuse victims of a controlling partner who checks their bank statement. Went for a cornish pasty at the bakers in Dawlish & the woman said card payments only, I said I only had cash (although I do have cards) - at which point most places accept it. But she wouldn't accept cash so I went without. But I do use cards for utility bills etc.

The guy in the toll both said Humber Bridge can charge two turnips if they like because its privatey ownred.

Like everything else in England now I suppose.

I don't know how that happened after all the public money that went into it

from the second link I posted;

Is cash safe to use?

Caution in the face of the pandemic is understandable, but just a few weeks into the first lockdown the Bank of England said the risk from banknotes is 'no greater than touching any other common surface, such as handrails, doorknobs or credit cards'.

It cemented this position in November, by revealing the results of scientific research into the spread of germs on cash. The research concluded that 'any risk from handling cash should be low', particularly compared with 'high-touch' objects such as shopping baskets, self-checkout touchscreens or products for sale.

This should reassure the 42% of shoppers who told us they were using less cash because they thought card payments were safer.

When you think about how often, and by how many people, objects like keypads, door handles, shopping trolleys, etc etc are touched.

Compared to how often and by how many people cash is touched

The longer the cash is left untouched the less chance there is of germs being still alive

So if you think of the length of tiime its been in Gremlin's wallet how could there be any germs still alive :-D

Tax treaties only work if everyone agrees to them.

Which is why we had all the lies from the tax exiled owned 'newspapers' and their puppet Johnson to 'get Brexit done' before a pan EU tax treaty could be brought in.

How can you expect the EU to curb its tax haven when England won't?

John52 - 2022-08-10 1:55 PM

Tax treaties only work if everyone agrees to them.

Which is why we had all the lies from the tax exiled owned 'newspapers' and their puppet Johnson to 'get Brexit done' before a pan EU tax treaty could be brought in.

How can you expect the EU to curb its tax haven when England won't?

worth a bump :-D

Gremlin - 2022-08-12 9:51 AM

John52 - 2022-08-12 9:15 AM

Gremlin - 2022-08-10 9:37 PM

And why the heck do you think the EU somehow “Reports” to the U.K.?

Who said they did?

You did when you said why should the EU change its ways on Tax havens before the U.K. does.

So you took what I said and changed it to something different, and even put a word I had not said in quotation marks.

So how can we believe anything you say?

Gremlin - 2022-08-13 8:55 AM

colin - 2022-08-12 10:30 PM

Verbally abusing staff at a bridge crossing, what a piece of scum.

Not seen this issue on a bridge crossing but the Ferry debacle is causing all sorts of grief. Police having to be called to deal with aggressive passengers on the few Ferry’s in Scotland that are currently running.

Ferry staff sadly getting wrongly targeted when the actual culprits are the SNP.

Instead of ramping up ferry charges to the level most pople can't afford like the Isle of Wight ferries

The SNP have used your money to make them affordable and popular - and therefore full.

The arguments are invariably over a lack of space.

Which the SNP are rectifying by building more ferries (at your expense)

How can you blame them for any of that?

colin - 2022-08-12 10:30 PM

Verbally abusing staff at a bridge crossing, what a piece of scum.

I would not support the abuse of bridge staff.

I haven't seen the video because I'm out in the van and my internet connection is not good enough for video.

I was only commenting on his taking a stand to pay in cash - which I admire even though, as I said, the law is not on his side. I try to support disadvantaged people who don't have a bank card, Or, for example, a battered wife fleeing an abusive partner who could track her and hunt her down by her use of her bank card.

I suppose its another example of why people get so angry in England

That wouldn't happen here because there are no bridge tolls to fall out over.

Like people falling out over a parking space doesn't happen so much up here because there are plenty of free spaces. Fighting like rats in a sack - because they are crammed in with not enough space. Same Old Tory Divide & Rule I suppose.

Archived