Ethically produced meat?

Guest peter

Guest peter

Just watching program on CH3. It's enough to put you off eating meat for life. Ethical? you must be joking. All these so called animal loving farmers are nothing but money grubbing scum. I would love to be able to dish out to them the kind of treatment they do to the creatures in their care. The RSPCA are a disgrace! they give their name to some of this cruelty by endorsing it under their banner and no doubt making a nice few bob out of it. Whenever I've contacted them regarding animal suffering , they didn't want to know.

No doubt a certain well known poultry producer from Norfolk is in it up to his armpits. If only people knew the price the animal world is paying in suffering just so the likes of Tesco et al can screw the farmers into the ground so they can sell a chicken for £1.50. Whilst at the same time making Billions out of them also screwing their customers and competitors.

Cheap food? well, the animal world is paying a very high price I think. If there's one thing that I will never tolerate it's cruelty to dumb creatures. Anybody that is party to it wants stringing up. No wonder the animal rights people get so millitant, as who speaks for these poor things

Rant over >:-( >:-( >:-(

Well good for you peter . Have you also seen that programme kill it cook it eat it . Thats enough to make your stomach churn as well .

We could become members of ALF as well as this forum.

What gave humans the right nothing . we will do the worst and there will be nothing left . How dare we. :-(

Guest peter
Thanks Michele. It's nice to see that at least one other person cares enough about animals to respond. Maybe the only one?.

Hello Peter,

Did not see program but you hold the same views as myself. I am an enthusiastic meat eater but am happy to pay much more (not at supermarkets) but at outlets that I have taken time to investigate regarding background.

I feel the poultry buffoon who fronts his own advertisements again to try and regain sales has let down my adopted county by his general treatment of the birds. I mistakenly thought overcrowding of poultry was being addressed. Local TV footage of the recent fiasco shows otherwise. All over Norfolk he has the same set-up, mainly on disused USAF/RAF airfields. Hundreds of thousands of the poor creatures.

I also feel for the human beings involved. His company has laid off hundreds of Portuguese workers, hired by a nearly permanent personnel dept over there hiring them as cheap labour.

Since day one I have never looked at or tasted any of his products. Jamie Oliver's infamous 'twisters' were a good example. Made out of the very last leftovers.

A well worthwhile 'rant' on your part. I shall refrain from going into the treatment of our four legged friends.

Michelle, there are many like minded people out here but perhaps not M/H owners who take an interest.

Best Regards,

Mike

I'd join ALF tommorrow if I thought I'd get away with it .

I dont feel sorry for people making money out of animal nope not one bit

I dont like the violence but I can see why it has got that way .

I cry everytime something get's hurt and even called the vet out to kill a wild rabbit humanely up the stables which cost's as you know alot for a call out thankfully he was not far away at the time . unfortunately for the baby wild rabbit the cat got him just for the chase and the fun of it .

The kids were so upset but he had to go as the cat had broke his spleen.

the vet explained it to the kids really nicely and he went to sleep peacefully the vet said if he didn't put him down he wuld die of shock .

sad. Oh don't get me started

:'(

Sorry Michelle,

I was brought up deep in the countryside on a farm in Hertfordshire. The rabbit would have received a quick chop to the back of the upper neck, skinned and into the next casserole. No cost and a fitting use for a maimed wild creature. Always toast it with a glass of wine or similar. It was naturally reared. Taint it with a vet's drugs concoction and it is only fit for the bin. We should all make the most of what is available to us from the countryside.

Regards, Mike

Just had time to nip out with the rifle this evening, five rabbits, two bite sized for the dogs, rest are in the 'lean to', will be dressing them tomorrow when I get home from work, one will go in slow cooker on friday other two in freezer. Thats the way to ethicaly get your meat, the stuff you get from supermarkets? doesn't bear think about how it is produced, I should know, did a stint at Ross Poultry after leaving school, and you can bet all the chickings coming in from Thailand are worse treated. Supermarkets say they monitor their meat producers, they didn't even know they had been sold unfit meat that had been washed in bleach.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I've no intention of getting involved in a discussion on this subject but one thing that disturbs me is the kind of partisan attitude that can describe Bernard Matthews as 'a buffoon'.

Here is a man who started with a few turkeys in his shed and built it up to an international company, employing hundreds of local people and contributing enormously to British exports.

Yes, his company may have made the odd mistake but it didn't create the bird 'flu that infected his stock and it has acted responsibly to eradicate it.

I find it particularly worrying that if Bernard Matthews and companies like his didn't exist in the U.K., that we would have to buy many more poultry products from foreign companies whose standards of hygene and animal welfare are woeful compared to ours - even with the odd lapse!

Please God that one day I may be as successful a 'buffoon' as Bernard Matthews!

What's partisan about calling Matthews a 'buffoon'; it was a self-fulfilling prophecy from the first advert to appear on TV. I decided then not to touch his stuff and I haven't. Mechanically reformed meat, what a tempting description that is.

He may have a lot of money, but - to me - it came at a higher price than I would be prepared to pay.

B-)

Guest peter

That's funny I don't recollect anybody mentioning Bernard Mathews. I hope your not infering that theres a link between the "Buffoon" in one of the above posts and Mr Mathews, Frank, as I don't think he would be too pleased. (lol)

Edit: Twooks just did. But not in the posts previous to yours Frank.

Guest peter

Frank mumbled "I've no intention of getting involved in a discussion on this subject "

Then goes into a diatribe on the said subject.

I was wondering when you'd turn up Frank.

Welcome to the discussion, probably soon to turn into a row. :D

I dont know enough about Bernard Mathews to comment but I do know enough not to buy his products even when shopping for the kids I avoid junk food as I call it .

No I stick with the fresh veg mix for this household I dont deny he had an idea and started little but from the publics reaction now I dont need to read if it was good news then people wouldn't be slating him.

That's enough for me

sax we are a family of meat eaters and I am not apposed to that .

What I am apposed to is the way we treat the animals when alive .

If someone at the stables suggested taking it home to kill and eat so be it

but highley unlikey as we are the softies hear. Dont mention horse burgers ..

(lol)

Guest peter
Horse burgers.........Oh damn I just did. Great delicacy in France I believe. But that's no qualification, the French will eat anything. :D

Guest Frank Wilkinson
peter - 2007-03-14 10:36 PM Frank mumbled "I've no intention of getting involved in a discussion on this subject " Then goes into a diatribe on the said subject. I was wondering when you'd turn up Frank. Welcome to the discussion, probably soon to turn into a row. :D

Wrong Peter. I'm not getting involved in the discussion about 'Ethically produced meat' but about the kind of twisted logic that can describe Bernard Matthews as a buffoon. His appearances in his own firm's adverts were actually self-deprecating and played on his own local accent.

Again, ask the hundreds of Norfolk people for whom he created work just what they think about him. They won't be too bothered about the kind of food snobs who decry his products.

And your description of me 'mumbling' is a very cheap shot that I would not have expected from you. And as for a diatribe! There have been a few diatribes in this thread but not from me.

Guest peter

Very sorry if I've offended you Frank. It was all done with tongue firmly in cheek. Don't take things so seriously, not everyone's trying to wind you up.

As one Gay to another, don't get your knickers in a twist. :D

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-03-14 9:52 PM

I've no intention of getting involved in a discussion on this subject but one thing that disturbs me is the kind of partisan attitude that can describe Bernard Matthews as 'a buffoon'.

Here is a man who started with a few turkeys in his shed and built it up to an international company, employing hundreds of local people and contributing enormously to British exports.

Yes, his company may have made the odd mistake but it didn't create the bird 'flu that infected his stock and it has acted responsibly to eradicate it.

I find it particularly worrying that if Bernard Matthews and companies like his didn't exist in the U.K., that we would have to buy many more poultry products from foreign companies whose standards of hygene and animal welfare are woeful compared to ours - even with the odd lapse!

Please God that one day I may be as successful a 'buffoon' as Bernard Matthews!

But Frank, you just can't justify the conditions under which many of these cheap birds are reared on the basis that the farmer makes an enviable profit from them.  The birds etc. do pay an excessive price for that profit.

Neither, in fairness, do I think you can really claim that in the absence of the "Matthews" we would "have" to import from countries where the hygiene standards are below our own.  We probably should, but it would not be obligatory, just our usual way of confusing cost with quality!

Have you ever seen the Bresse chickens being reared in France?  They do cost a bit more that your average broiler, mind, but they do spend all their time wandering in open fields.  That may be the ideal extreme, but somehow there has to be a humane solution somewhere between that ideal, and the cramped, stinking, darkness of a broiler pen.

The point of the programme, if you didn't manage to see it, was that some producers were rearing the animals in very bad conditions, but selling their meat at a premium against the claim they had been "ethically" or humanely, reared.  It wasn't a polemic about rearing livestock, it just set out to show that some of the producers are defrauding their customers and, on the evidence, it did that rather well.

Guest peter
Thank you Brian for pointing out to Frank the whole point of the programme that he obviously didn't see . It would seem that he is only concerned about the fact that massive profits are produced and all on the backs of cheap foreign workers and birds kept in apalling conditions.

Hello Frank,

I never expected to converse with you on this forum and I very much respect your input in the past. I do not intend to be argumentative.

The man has, I agree, been extremely successful and good luck to him and his earned success. I have seen his private motor yacht ( more like a small cruise liner ) whilst in for a refit in Lowestoft and do not in any way envy his riches.

Living in East Anglia local news is more available than the rest of the country and I remember that at the start of the episode he disappeared to the Mediterranean to leave his staff to fend off any criticism. He returned once things had settled down and then used a 'photo' towards 10 years old along with the nationally published advertisement to try to resurrect the company's fortune. There is no denying that the company brought in the ' problem' from, I think from Eastern Europe.

The person in question is, I believe, prone to being litigious so I do not name names although I admire him for him totally funding the purchase of a local (one of very few) privately funded private Lifeboats in the country (Caister on Sea). Off thread, the Caister Inshore Lifeboat is funded by Jim Davidson.

Frank, you are obviously a self made successful businessman yourself, but in the camera business and my next digital will probably come from your chain, having viewed your site.

Regards,

Mike

Hello Peter,

I have never been overly 'voluble' on the Internet and even in life and apologise for stirring up certain people. Frank and some others frighten me so I now withdraw from the thread although I could have much more to say on the subject.

Regards,

Mike

Archived