Eurotunnel - When to go?

Mel B

Guest JudgeMental

Normally we travel out after 6 in the evening and back during the week in the afternoon. July/August return £140 ish

£60 each way for Eurotunnel is good I think?

I do appreciate that if retired and time not an issue Boats probably better value....

Well it is the pantomime season and i,ve got you down as Widow Tw***y. Mel would be the Wicked Witch of the North and Twooks has to be Buttons. Richard makes a perfect Scrooge, although Mike,s "£5 Christmas gift voucher" takes some beating. Fancy having a go. In Franks absence I,ll have to be Prince Charming so you can pick the two Ugly Sisters, and all in the strictest confidence of course. *-)

Never. Don't go down the tunnel !

After the big and predictable fire, the Tunnel Authority were "requested" to improve the fire safety and protecton measures that were in place prior to that fire, as they proved to be less than satisfactory.

As no lives were lost, the Authority declined on grounds of cost.

You must have heard about several tragic fires in tunnels around the world, and this country is only now conducting a survey to find out the cost implications for bring them up to acceptability.

That ensures I take my chances on the sea, not under it.

Since the disasterous fire in the Mont Blanc tunnel the authorities have installed a fire station in the centre of the tunnel. A couple of months ago there was a fire allert in the tunnel when the outside fire servces arrived on the scene the only fire was the tunnel firemen having a fondu meal red faces all around.

Wingpete - 2007-11-23 8:28 AM

Never. Don't go down the tunnel !

After the big and predictable fire, the Tunnel Authority were "requested" to improve the fire safety and protecton measures that were in place prior to that fire, as they proved to be less than satisfactory.

As no lives were lost, the Authority declined on grounds of cost.

You must have heard about several tragic fires in tunnels around the world, and this country is only now conducting a survey to find out the cost implications for bring them up to acceptability.

That ensures I take my chances on the sea, not under it.

How long you reckon you would last in the sea pete ?

Long enough to be rescued then ?

pete i understand you not liking it but its not nice to frighten people .

Cheers mate I use it all the time it does cross my mind but I refer not to be reminded about it . 8-)

Merely highlighting the inactivity of those we are supposed to trust, to make our travel safe. Like the trucks bowling around, from countries where there are few regulations to ensure they are suitable to use in UK, and the drivers are exceeding driving times for safety sake.

Remaining ignorant of what awaits the unwary is like wearing blinkers.

I have this cross to bear, regarding the diminuition of the Fire Safety standards that evolved in this Country.

And of course, we are well aware of other cost savings that cost lives . >:-(

Fear is a mighty motivator. Once bitten, twice as shy ? :-(

Mel B - 2007-11-22 7:59 PM

When is the cheapest fare then? Try as I might the cheapest single I can find is £61, how are you all getting the really cheap returns!?!?!?!?

I'm looking at May/June 2008 - any suggestions? :-D

Yes, £61 one way - £122 return - is the cheapest I could find too. I got a quote online from the Caravan Club for the exact same sailings at £105.60, so a saving of nearly £17 return. Earlier this year we went across on a booking made via the C&CC, which undercut the CC at £98 return. Haven't tried them this time yet though.

But then there are always the good old Tesco vouchers, managed to get across twice this year for £2 return :-D

Being a user of both tunnel & ferry dependant on price and time of year. (Cherry will not contemplate a sea crossing during the winter months) may I just say that put the risk of either a tunnel fire or a maritime collison in perspective. There is, I guess, a small risk of a tunnel fire but the odds of it occuring when your particular train is traversing the line is less than mimimal. Likewise a ferry may collide with something but again a slim chance of it happening and even slimmer to your particular ferry. Life expectancy in the North Sea without an immersion suit is, during winter, no more the 15 minutes and no more than 25mins summer time generally speaking. However it down, as always, to what you and yours are the happiest with.

Regards Mike

howie - 2007-11-23 7:35 PM

Time to put all kinds of travel and activities in perspective here. If worried about such things then none of us would step over the doorstep. Element of danger whatever you do, so forget about it and just enjoy yourselves,

Howie, how right you are!! Just been 'chewed up' by the night site manager for 'wasting time on that bl**dy chat site again, are we'!!

Some people just do not understand these things!!! :$ :$

Regards Mike

howie - 2007-11-23 7:35 PM

Time to put all kinds of travel and activities in perspective here. If worried about such things then none of us would step over the doorstep. Element of danger whatever you do, so forget about it and just enjoy yourselves,

your right howie life is the most dangerous thing nobody survives it

Wingpete - 2007-11-23 9:17 PM

How high is your price Twooks ? Might do a raffle online for you ! *-)

first Pete, how deep underground is the tunnel, then multiply by - - oh - maybe 10 to the power of 10,

I struggle with the Mersey tunnel,

and the final straw - the fire - aaarrrggghhh

always reckon I was probably a miner in a previous life - and you'll not get me down there again - I struggle with road tunnels - and caves -

Have been underground - and - to be honest - it was a tremendous experience - but it's hard work going down.

plus - we'd have to get to Kent - and that's another forget it item

*-) so - you see Peter - it's a bit of a no no! *-)

B-)

I can fully understand your fears Twooks. There are some things us mere mortals are not designed for, unlike moles or birds. They have it built into their genes.

Even with proper training, life below ground is not a natural environment.

People used go down there for practical financial reason, like to make money.

Now there are adventurers who make use of the technology to expereince that alien place.

Nothing against advenuturers, otherwise we would all still be living in caves. And that's where the fear of being underground probably stems from. Troglodites still exist, as to be seen even in Spain nowadays.

But, from some years spent in dealing with underground search procedures, amongst other hostile environments I have previously been engaged in in my former working life, the element of fear is expected and essential to survive some of the dangers there are around us.

I swim in the sea, but rarely out of my depth.

I climb great heights, but with a firm grip on the ladder.

But I fly in a plane without a parachute.

So the ideals are never fully achievable.

We live out lives as required by circumstances, not always in our control.

So, no Chanel Tunnel for me either. I'm with you on that .

Having arranged for a discount for trucks (200 return journeys a year) I used to get a £40 return any time, but as we do not do that run anymore this has stopped but in July just by playing with the booking times we got a weekend return for a mini bus and 10 peoplefor a shopping and night out trip going at 12 on Sat lunch and returning at 17:00ish on Sun for £60 so it might be a good idea to play with the times. I have been told that it is cheaper to buy a weekend return ticket and not use the return half if staying out for two weeks and then doing the same on way back but not sure if this is true. And I like others feel that if you worry about your fete then you are a prisoner (prob not spelt right) of your mind. Live your life not how someone else wants you to live

Geof

Anyone worried about using the Chunnel should IMHO sit back and critically analyse their personal attitude to risk.

In this case your perception of the relative risks of Chunnel travel versus ferry crossing, and indeed of driving on roads, is I would suggest in fact badly misjudged.

Because: the risk of death or serious injury whilst driving to the Chunnel, or whilst then driving about on the continent, or whilst driving back home from the Chunnel again, is HUGELY greater than for the 20 minutes each way that you are underground on a train in the tunnel.

If you are risk-averse to that extent, you really shouldn't be driving on roads at all, you should be travelling everywhere you can by train, as trains are in fact much safer than road vehicle travel; and the Channel tunnel train system is MUCH safer than ordinary train routes.

It's a brilliant, efficient, quick, and safer-than-ferries way to get across the Channel.

I must have used it over 100 times over the years, as I used to work as European HR Director for a very big international Company that had it's group HQ in Paris, so I was over there for a day or two every few weeks.

I have always found it excellent, totally unaffected by weather conditions, and never had any qualms about using it.

All well and good, Bruce, but you're being rational!  Surely, the problem for most people is that their fears are irrational, and whereas they may easily be dismissed on that basis, they remain real for those affected.  Many suffer claustrophobia, or vertigo.  Neither small spaces, or heights will kill the afflicted, but try tellimg them that.

If folk prefer the ferries, and I do - because the tunnel is merely clinical and boring - leave them to their choice whatever the reason.  After all, if everyone switched to the tunnel, A) you'd never get on, B) the prices would very quickly rise and C) there'd be no ferries to use for when they bust the tunnel again!

Diversity, that's what we need.  Now, if they'd built a bridge in the first place, as they should have.................

Brian - you're right, fears are irrational.

They continue to exist in an individuals consciousness unless and until they are rationalised.

Most fears (perhaps not the deepest seated phobias) can be overcome in time by facing them and forcing oneself, sometimes with the help of others, to examine them rationally and dispassionately.

The bigger the individuals fear, and the more they focus on it, the more difficult the rationalising process becomes of course; but nonetheless it can in most cases be overcome either totally, or at least to a manageable level, by the rationalisation process.

Archived