Eurovision 2022

Bulletguy

Time for that annual festivity of fun, frolic, and political chicanery. (lol)

Get the popcorn ready for 8pm BBC1 Saturday.

https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision-22-grand-final-running-order-revealed

Ukraine is odds on favourite to win with the bookies. Russia hasn't been allowed to enter which really I feel sorry for the singers as they didn't want to invade Ukraine, Putin did. They'd have only got 'nil poix' anyway.

Talking of which, what country of numpties gave Abba's "Waterloo", the 1974 contest winner, 'nil poix'?

Bulletguy - 2022-05-13 7:40 PM

Russia hasn't been allowed to enter which really I feel sorry for the singers as they didn't want to invade Ukraine, Putin did.

Dunno, but I suspect they woiuldn't be allowed to compete if they didn't support Putin

- Like most Russians do - which shows the power of the media.

John52 - 2022-05-15 3:32 PM

Bulletguy - 2022-05-13 7:40 PM

Russia hasn't been allowed to enter which really I feel sorry for the singers as they didn't want to invade Ukraine, Putin did.

Dunno, but I suspect they woiuldn't be allowed to compete if they didn't support Putin

- Like most Russians do - which shows the power of the media.

They share the same Slavic ethnicities John, third in population size after Russia and Poland. Many Russian families have Ukraine born members and nothing will separate that. Russian no longer have the same freedoms as they used to, thats for sure. Any protesters risk getting beat up by the police and Putin has shut down independent media. However some Russian YouTube vloggers are still finding a way to get their message out like this young lady who explains the situation facing those that stay;

Tens of thousands of Russians have already left the country with many going to Georgia where they are free to speak out, free to demonstrate in support of Ukraine, and able to access social media without fear. Howvere the authorities of Georgia are on eggshells as it's capital, Tblisi, is only 35 miles from south Osettia which is Russian held.

Last years Russian Eurovision entry, Manizha, wrote on her Instagram account;

“I believe that [the current aggression] is against the will of our people. There are Ukrainians in my family too. My daughter-in-law is from Ukraine. My future husband is half Ukrainian. My close friends are Ukrainians. Russia and Ukraine are not just two countries. We are relatives. Any war between us is fratricidal.”

Yes Putin has some support but how much of that is actually sincere is quite another matter! Many Russians despise and hate him.....with a passion.

malc d - 2022-05-15 9:20 PM

Haven't seen it for 20 or 30 years..

Looks like it's become some sort of light show - must have cost a fortune to put that on.

;-)

Changed quite a lot over the years Malc. It was always just the stage, essential studio lighting, and very little else, such as this which was our winner in 1981;

I usually listen to the songs on the radio, then watch the scoring on tv.

Bulletguy - 2022-05-16 3:11 PM

Looks like it's become some sort of light show - must have cost a fortune to put that on.

;-)

Changed quite a lot over the years Malc. It was always just the stage, essential studio lighting, and very little else, such as this which was our winner in 1981;

Well I don't intend to ever watch it again - I was only interested this time because of Ukraines involvement.

It's probably an " age " thing - I can remember when you could understand what was being sung

( at least by those singing in English ) - and they didn't rely so much on the distraction of dancers and flashing lights - and nowadays there's too much drivel between acts.

But - each to their own - I'm sure that lots of people find it entertaining.

I believe that the winning country is expected to hold the show next year, so it will be interesting to see if Ukraine ' volunteer ' - maybe it will come to the U.K. instead, as runners up.

I understand that it's paid for by broadcasters - but the BBC certainly can't afford to get involved.

;-)

malc d - 2022-05-16 3:53 PM

Bulletguy - 2022-05-16 3:11 PM

;-)

Well I don't intend to ever watch it again - I was only interested this time because of Ukraines involvement.

It's probably an " age " thing - I can remember when you could understand what was being sung

( at least by those singing in English ) - and they didn't rely so much on the distraction of dancers and flashing lights - and nowadays there's too much drivel between acts.

But - each to their own - I'm sure that lots of people find it entertaining.

I believe that the winning country is expected to hold the show next year, so it will be interesting to see if Ukraine ' volunteer ' - maybe it will come to the U.K. instead, as runners up.

I understand that it's paid for by broadcasters - but the BBC certainly can't afford to get involved.

;-)

Abba very nearly sang their 1974 Euro entry. "Waterloo", in Swedish but changed their mind at the last minute and re-wrote it in English. No problem for them as they were fluent with English anyway but until then they had always sung in Swedish.

What annoys me mostly with the contest is the long pauses between scoring given. That badly needs sorting out.

The Dear Leader will want to host next years Euro which he sees as a propaganda tool. ;-)

Bulletguy - 2022-05-16 4:31 PM

The Dear Leader will want to host next years Euro which he sees as a propaganda tool. ;-)

I'm very surprised that Johnson has not - YET - claimed any credit for the U.K. success.

;-)

Archived