Evolution

Tracker

Is an unpredictable beast?

Just as mankind is at the peak of producing pollution, waste, deforestation, abuse of natural resources etc etc along comes Climate Change which might have made a wiser less greedy, less consumer orientated, less profit seeking mankind look at what he was doing, but mankind chose to look the other way and blame everyone else while he carried on making a profit.

So another reminder emerged in the form of ever more complex and harder to fight viruses of which Covid-19 is simply the latest, no doubt to be followed by others in years to come. But will anything change long term?

Maybe now mankind will take a good hard look at the way he behaves and look for solutions that ensure survival - but I'm not holding my breath as I don't have much faith in the people that control this world to change from greed to care.

You make good considerations that I largely agree.

Especially when you say you don't have a lot of confidence in the people who rule the world.

But a good question we should ask ourselves.

Are we sure that the vote of the citizens of the leading countries goes to the right ones?

To whom

- destroys the little improvements done to public health and restores the old system in which few can afford health care with the exclusive benefit of insurance companies ?

- denies global warming ?

- quits the Paris climate agreements ?

- favors non-renewable resources ?

- flouts little Greta ?

Obviously, any reference to the smug American and to those who support him is not purely coincidental.

Max

It's not only that presidents and politicians have no integrity or moral fibre, it is business people who put profit before all else, multi national companies in particular that could use their vast profits to influence the disciples that pay their wages to create a better world rather than escalate the irresponsible ways of the past as they collect meaningless levels of surplus cash.

The likes of Bill Gates, to pick just one, who spout on about charity and foundation work but in reality that money is a small fraction of the wealth that the world has given, and continues, to give them.

That so many are US based speaks volumes about that nation and it's values in the wealthiest nation on the planet that does not even have a healthcare for all system in place because it would be 'too expensive', but the Russians and Chinese are fast catching up in their never ending demands for world domination.

Heaven help us all when the nations of the world are controlled and dominated by the likes of Google, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft etc etc.

I read this book recently, which tells the story of how our species has developed since its "hunter-gatherer" days on a thinly populated planet through the developments of agrigriculture, industry, science and capitalism, together with the influence of monarchies, democracies, communism and religions. Not exactly light reading but it was certainly a useful perspective.

Sapiens.jpg.e06ad7253d0632385497670322efdbe7.jpg

I spent almost all my working life in American multinationals and so did my wife.

We know both the companies and the Americans and their attitudes.

Their flaws and their small culture, I would have hundreds of anecdotes about them.

Their president is nothing but the representation of the culture of the American middle class.

The one who goes to poll stations.

I will never understand who votes for one who promises to delete the few improvements made to the health system by his predecessor.

Except then realizing that he cannot be hospitalized because the insurance does not cover everything or has a poor plafond.

Have you seen the queues to get some free food after just one week of unemployment ?

Queuing on BMW or Mercedes SUVs but with no money for the supermarket.

Gee.

The multinationals do nothing but legitimate interests.

The Americans think they own them because of few Amazon or Apple shares in their portfolio.

Do you remember where the 2008 crisis came from ?

There would be a lot to say but I will stop here.

Max

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2020-05-12 12:44 PM

Is an unpredictable beast?

Just as mankind is at the peak of producing pollution, waste, deforestation, abuse of natural resources etc etc along comes Climate Change which might have made a wiser less greedy, less consumer orientated, less profit seeking mankind look at what he was doing, but mankind chose to look the other way and blame everyone else while he carried on making a profit.

So another reminder emerged in the form of ever more complex and harder to fight viruses of which Covid-19 is simply the latest, no doubt to be followed by others in years to come. But will anything change long term?

Maybe now mankind will take a good hard look at the way he behaves and look for solutions that ensure survival - but I'm not holding my breath as I don't have much faith in the people that control this world to change from greed to care.

Mother Earth wont miss us when we're gone is what you're trying to say Rich? ;-) .......

Oooer we are the new dinosaurs 8-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-12 4:44 PM

Mother Earth wont miss us when we're gone is what you're trying to say Rich? ;-) .......

When mankind finally manages to eliminate ourselves to extinction something of a far higher inteligence will take over ruling the planet - probably ants!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2020-05-12 4:50 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-12 4:44 PM

When mankind finally manages to eliminate ourselves to extinction something of a far higher inteligence will take over ruling the planet - probably ants!

Well they were here be for us ;-) .......

The b*ggers are deffo trying to move back in here 8-) .......

Archived