Face masks

Violet1956

I am not convinced that the draconian steps adopted by our government are proportionate to the risks that we face from the virus. A nosediving economy threatens the lives of many. Poverty kills. I await a more balanced strategy from our government. Would that they could abandon their arrogance and not learn from the steps taken by other countries. The wearing of face masks is one case in point. If those in frontline roles require them why are they not also required for the rest of us?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi V

I haven't seen/heard any news today but the last I heard, they appeared to be slowly coming around to the idea that the wearing of a face may, may be of some benefit!?.......who knew eh?!? *-)

..and there was us, thinking that those overly excitable , funny foreigner types had got it wrong, and that just hacking into your elbow was more than good enough for us plucky Brits .

(unless of cause I've missed them saying something today?)

The problem(s) is that there may not be enough to go around anyway?(and understandably so?) , that and the thickos out there will just think that a mask will make them impregnable to the virus.

Either way, any halfway decent mask has got to be better than nothing.

pepe63 - 2020-04-15 2:15 PM

Hi V

I haven't seen/heard any news today but the last I heard, they appeared to be slowly coming around to the idea that the wearing of a face may, may be of some benefit!?.......who knew eh?!? *-)

..and there was us, thinking that those overly excitable , funny foreigner types had got it wrong, and that just hacking into your elbow was more than good enough for us plucky Brits .

(unless of cause I've missed them saying something today?)

The problem(s) is that there may not be enough to go around anyway?(and understandably so?) , that and the thickos out there will just think that a mask will make them impregnable to the virus.

Either way, any halfway decent mask has got to be better than nothing.

Bit in bold is spot on imo. It has to be better than nothing at all and i'm amazed it's taken this long to come round to acknowledging it though government still seem reluctant to shout up on it.....probably because they knew they were woefully prepared and why we now have many industries such as what fm Rael is involved with, making thousands of parts for face masks with 3D printers working round the clock.

Perhaps not the best comparison but i still remember a time when bikers roared up and down streets without helmets or leathers. Helmets have long been law now, but leathers are not yet no biker with half a brain would ever ride without them.

Violet1956 - 2020-04-15 1:09 PM

The wearing of face masks is one case in point.

If those in frontline roles require them why are they not also required for the rest of us?

Seems to me it depends where you are.

The virus is not just floating around in the air all over the country - it is spread by people who have the virus, coughing and sneezing.

Front line staff are constantly in close proximity to people coughing and sneezing so it's obviously essential that they wear masks.

If YOU have a cough, or keep sneezing, you should wear one ( even if you don't know the cause of your symptoms ) to avoid you spreading whatever your infection it is that you've got.

The infection can also be caught by touching infected surfaces - so a mask will not stop you catching the virus that way.

:-|

Of course its those on the front line in the NHS and Care homes that need the masks or key workers who come into contact with lots of people not us plebs who are sat at home or occasionally going out for a walk. Its criminal that many in care homes dont have the right kit. Seems they are just left to get on with it probably for minimum wage. I heard on the news just now that some care home workers are now sleeping in the homes to avoid spreading the disease back to their families and loved ones. Its a truly tragic situation for them. Get them the kit they need and while they are at it treble their wages.

I am all in favour of giving priority as far as PPE is concerned to the most vulnerable. Just want the governent to get its act together so as to provide the rest of the population with it as soon as possible.That way people can get back to work so that businesses, be they small or large, won't go to the wall.

Violet1956 - 2020-04-15 3:58 PM

I am all in favour of giving priority as far as PPE is concerned to the most vulnerable. Just want the governent to get its act together so as to provide the rest of the population with it as soon as possible.That way people can get back to work so that businesses, be they small or large, won't go to the wall.

I see the quickest route back to people working is mass testing, to find out who has got it and who is carrying it.

Those people can then isolate and the rest can get back to work.

Giving everyone in the country a mask may give them a sense of security but I doubt if it will contribute much to ending the epidemic.

Barryd999 - 2020-04-15 3:53 PM

Of course its those on the front line in the NHS and Care homes that need the masks or key workers who come into contact with lots of people not us plebs who are sat at home or occasionally going out for a walk. Its criminal that many in care homes dont have the right kit. Seems they are just left to get on with it probably for minimum wage. I heard on the news just now that some care home workers are now sleeping in the homes to avoid spreading the disease back to their families and loved ones. Its a truly tragic situation for them. Get them the kit they need and while they are at it treble their wages.

The situation facing care home workers is extremely troubling. As if it's not bad enough NHS staff not being properly equipped with some resorting to using bin bags, care home workers seem to have nothing. A similar report was on BBC Breakfast talking to some ladies who had chose to stay at their workplace to avoid the risk of potentially taking any infection back to their family homes. 13 deaths from one care home yesterday and today another eight in one single home. I agree the pay levels are very poor given the work they do. Care Assts at £8.40 p/hr and cleaners £7.53 p/hr. https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Care-Home/salaries :-(

jumpstart - 2020-04-15 3:59 PM

One way or another we are not all going to avoid getting it. Now,Nov, next Jan. Until there is a vaccine available there will still be a lot of deaths...

I agree...

Hopefully whilst waiting for a viable vaccine, they (whoever they are?) may come up will a range of meds that can at least assist people through it...?

As for the wearing of face masks:

Unfortunately we can't just rely on somebody else wearing theirs to protect us, far better if we protect ourselves by wearing our own.

At the moment I wouldn't dream of entering a shop or an enclosed area without one, even if this 2mtr lark was supposedly being adhered to.

You have no idea whose exhaled breath you are walking into...or who has just coughed at the till you are about to approach.

With almost a quarter of the world's population in lockdown, these are extreme times, just doing something relatively simple like wearing a face mask, and following good distancing and hygiene practice have got to be the obvious things that we can all do.

Edit

Re: testing- My OH (NHS clinician) says that none of her immediate colleagues, over the four different sites she works at, have been tested. (and we're half way through April).

They have set up a drive-through assessment centre but it's only for patients and is appointment only, and they don't actually test you anyway...They just "assess" and send you on somewhere else...presumably home for 14days in some cases.. :-S

Violet1956 - 2020-04-15 4:21 PM

I agree Malc. Mass testing is the way forward but until that is feasible I see no harm in people wearing masks.

Well let's just hope that if everyone has to wear one we are told how often we must replace them, and how to dispose of them safely once used.

Violet1956 - 2020-04-15 3:58 PM

Much depends on how prudent they've been. A relative of mine owns a chain of travel agents employing 90 staff, all of whom have been furloughed. Not an enviable business to be in and needless to say he's lost a massive amount of business with the majority of customers being refunded, as they are legally entitled to, But as the company director he's not allowed to furlough himself and has to rely on a percentage from the profits. Because he's constantly reinvested back into the company and not frittered money away on super cars, yachts and a mansion, his accountants are hoping the banks will help. After all, given how the public bailed them out it's time for them to step up now and pay back, especially for small businesses.

malc d - 2020-04-15 4:39 PM

Violet1956 - 2020-04-15 4:21 PM

I agree Malc. Mass testing is the way forward but until that is feasible I see no harm in people wearing masks.

Well let's just hope that if everyone has to wear one we are told how often we must replace them, and how to dispose of them safely once used.

Stick them in a microwave for 30 sec and all germs destroyed. Then reuse.( when cooled down).

Ive got loads of masks , loads of gel ... Provided to me by someone I know who works for the NHS and according to him more or less every NHS worker is doing the same providing loved ones with the gear and robbing the NHS ... I prolly have without counting 30 masks and maybe 10 hand gels so times that by maybe half a million NHS workers out of the million and wow ... Get real princess

It is not whether you wear a face mask or not, it is more about misuse rather than use. Most experts say they are of little use and encourage wearers to touch their face more often to adjust or put them on and take them off. I would guess that in untrained hands they are more of a liability.

It's the same with gloves. It is rumoured that some Supermarkets are preventing customers entering if they are wearing gloves. The store does not know if they are clean or not and could be responsible for cross contamination when handling goods.

Birdbrain - 2020-04-15 6:14 PM

Ive got loads of masks , loads of gel ... Provided to me by someone I know who works for the NHS and according to him more or less every NHS worker is doing the same providing loved ones with the gear and robbing the NHS ... I prolly have without counting 30 masks and maybe 10 hand gels so times that by maybe half a million NHS workers out of the million and wow ... Get real princess

WTF do you need them for? You just sit on the puter all day posting drivel! Go and drop em off outside your nearest care home!

Ive got loads of masks , loads of gel ... Provided to me by someone I know who works for the NHS and according to him more or less every NHS worker is doing the same providing loved ones with the gear and robbing the NHS ... I prolly have without counting 30 masks and maybe 10 hand gels.

Have you reported the matter to the authorities? If not, why not? It's theft, though receiving goods known to be stolen is also a criminal offence.

Bulletguy - 2020-04-15 10:26 PM

Ive got loads of masks , loads of gel ... Provided to me by someone I know who works for the NHS and according to him more or less every NHS worker is doing the same providing loved ones with the gear and robbing the NHS ... I prolly have without counting 30 masks and maybe 10 hand gels.

Have you reported the matter to the authorities? If not, why not? It's theft, though receiving goods known to be stolen is also a criminal offence.

You have all my details why don't you report it ... Reporting stuff to the authorities is sumat you are pretty good at ... Off you pop Gramps

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2020-04-16 12:11 PM

Face masks are wonderful for miserable souls as they hide their sour faces.

If only they would wear gauntlets as well so they can't type the world would instantly become a happier place.

Sue has sacrificed one her bra's to make face masks for us B-) ............

So when we go out I have a choice to look like a Left T1t or a Right T1t (lol) .......

Archived