Fangfoss

GJH

Posting this knowing there are a few members from the East Yorkshire area.

If you are casting around for something to do on the weekend of 14th/15th June you might be interested in the Battle of Fangfoss Field.

As an added bonus for forum members there is the "spot which re-enactor is Graham" competition with absolutely no prizes whatsoever :-D

Graham

Mel B - 2008-06-04 6:37 PM

So that explains the hat! :-> I knew there had to be a good reason. (lol)

The photos were taken last January at the annual Whitehall Parade to commemorate the beheading of Charles I.

Graham

Are those the World War 1 Flyboys Colin? We've seen them a couple of times when we've been taking part in the Festival of History at Kelmarsh. Very impressive.

colin - 2008-06-04 9:59 PM

An interesting name Fangfoss, but links don't realy seem to give a decent explaination of where it comes from, any ideas?

Doing a Google, the most plausible I could find was that it is thought to mean the foss or ditch belonging to someone called Fang. Much the same sort of derivation as Glossop (where I am from originally) which was supposedly a Hop or valley which belonged to a farmer called Glot.

ROON - 2008-06-05 1:42 PM

Very interested in history so thank you for the Fangfoss info, Graham. Joy

My pleasure Joy, so am I. Good job with our re-enactment weekends and family history business :-D

Graham

Are those the World War 1 Flyboys Colin? We've seen them a couple of times when we've been taking part in the Festival of History at Kelmarsh. Very impressive.

Sounds like they may be modern replicas, these are the real thing at Shuttleworth, as an aside, we supplied some props for Flyboys film, work colege looked for a trailer on internet when it first came out, the flyboys clip he viewed was not family entertainment :$

Kelmarsh just off A14?, we sometimes go there for gamefair.

Doing a Google, the most plausible I could find was that it is thought to mean the foss or ditch belonging to someone called Fang. Much the same sort of derivation as Glossop (where I am from originally) which was supposedly a Hop or valley which belonged to a farmer called Glot.

Dracula's ditch then :D

colin - 2008-06-05 10:27 PM

Sounds like they may be modern replicas, these are the real thing at Shuttleworth

I think they are replicas - but the pilots aren't. One was (hopefully still is) well into his 80's. WWII pilot with DFC.

We were near the Shuttleworth museum a few months ago but couldn't actually make time to get to it, unfortunately.

colin - 2008-06-05 10:27 PM

Kelmarsh just off A14?, we sometimes go there for gamefair.

That's the one. Festival of History is quite something with everything from Bronze Age to WWII on show - see HERE

Graham

Archived