Father of London Bridge victim condemns Johnson

Bulletguy

David Merritt, father of Jack Merritt who was one of the victims murdered on the London bridge attack has hit out at Johnson;

He’s the worst of us and he’s taking you for a ride'

'I’ll be voting least worst option: anti-Tory. For all our sakes, and for the future of the country, please, please do the same,' David Merritt says.

The father of a man killed in the London Bridge terror attack has launched a stinging attack on Boris Johnson, accusing him of using his son’s death to “make political capital” and taking the country “for a ride”.

David Merritt, whose 25-year-old son, Jack, was one of two people killed by convicted terrorist Usman Khan, condemned the prime minister for using the attack as justification for a series of tougher criminal policies.

Posting on his social media account, Mr Merritt responded to a reference of the attack during Friday’s BBC leaders’ debate, saying: “If prisoners have engaged with rehabilitation & turned their lives around, why should they be punished for what Khan did?”

In his first direct attack on Mr Johnson, who he had previously pleaded with to stop politicising the death of his son, he said: “[Jeremy] Corbyn spoke the truth last night. Johnson lied & used our son’s death to make political capital.

He added: “Wake up Britain: this man is a fraud. He’s the worst of us, & he’s taking you for a ride. You may think the options open to you in this election are not entirely to your liking. Me neither, but I’ll be voting least worst option: anti-Tory.”

“For all our sakes, and for the future of the country, please, please do the same.”

Challenged on the attack during the BBC leaders’ debate – the final head-to-head between Mr Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn – the prime minister said he had “huge sympathy” for both victims’ families. “It was a terrible thing,” he said. He added: "But I still think it's wrong that someone like Usman Khan who was sentenced 21 years or 16 years plus five on licence should have been out automatically on eight years.”

In response, Mr Merritt, whose son Jack was working at a prisoner rehabilitation conference when he was killed, said: “We don’t know all the fact about this case yet, and we won’t know for some time – the inquest could take up to 2 years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-merritt-father-london-bridge-attack-election-a9236956.html

Birdbrain - 2019-12-08 7:38 AM

With respect to Mr Merritt Losing a son however horrific doesnt make him a political expert , just someone else with an opinion ... I have to say if I had just lost a relative the last thing I would be doing would be urging folk to vote anti-whoever

Quite agree. If you are given a sentence more care should be used before release.

Guest pelmetman

Merritt's Dad is a typical Loony Liberal........He blames Johnson and not the terrorist *-) .......

It's the Loony Liberal brigade who want to place the rest of us in danger with their dangerous ideology :-| ......

Vote Boris and keep the nutters locked up for as long as possible >:-) ..........

jumpstart - 2019-12-08 7:48 AM

With respect to Mr Merritt Losing a son however horrific doesnt make him a political expert , just someone else with an opinion ... I have to say if I had just lost a relative the last thing I would be doing would be urging folk to vote anti-whoever

Quite agree. If you are given a sentence more care should be used before release.

I empathise with Mr Merritts view as his son had chosen to work within prisoner rehabilitation and not long after the attack i read a particularly nasty sarcastic tweet made about Jack i'm not prepared to repeat. It's a field few could work in but admire those that can and there are successes. The justice system has suffered from drastic cuts as have the police force and expecting either to run on a shoestring is pure madness.

Bulletguy - 2019-12-08 1:29 PM

I empathise with Mr Merritts view as his son had chosen to work within prisoner rehabilitation and not long after the attack i read a particularly nasty sarcastic tweet made about Jack i'm not prepared to repeat. It's a field few could work in but admire those that can and there are successes. The justice system has suffered from drastic cuts as have the police force and expecting either to run on a shoestring is pure madness.

Quite and Johnston is talking about tax cuts,surely the very last thing we need. Someone has to be prepared to rehabilitate prisoners ,fine but just not these sort of terrorists.

jumpstart - 2019-12-08 3:16 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-12-08 1:29 PM

Quite and Johnston is talking about tax cuts,surely the very last thing we need. Someone has to be prepared to rehabilitate prisoners ,fine but just not these sort of terrorists.

Few parties will talk of tax increases as they know it's not a vote winner though most people agree tax increases are essential. If a few pence on my tax ensures better policing, judicial processes etc, so be it but a good start would be to slap the 'non-doms' and tax dodging Phillip Greens though Johnson won't do that. He lied about the actual number of NHS nurses and hospitals he's "promised" and we all know the promised increase in number of police are what his party took away! Staggering!!

I agree about terrorists but it's a very fine line and too simple to lump all into the same category of 'beyond help', eg, the media et al was forever banging on about Shamima Begum yet virtually ignored Jack Letts who had actively fought with IS (Begum hadn't). Some time ago i remember reading an article about an ex-IS member who now works with MI5. Like it or not, some are obviously useful in getting intel on operations. The MI5 operative who had been fully debriefed and 'turned' was able to give valuable detail on IS sources of income, it's distribution, and names in the hierarchy. That's just one person....i suspect they quite possibly have more. Intel is extremely important and key to winning any kind of war....without it you cannot ever hope to defeat an enemy.

Archived