Ferries to and from Ireland

avongas

We are hoping to travel across to Ireland in our new van from Stranraer to Belfast, then travel down to Rosslare and return to Fishguard.

Can we just turn up at the ferry terminal on the offchance of getting on a ferry, or do we have to pre-book. We hope to travel on the fast ferry both ways.

Anybody done this trip?

Normally no problem at this time of year getting a place on the ferry spud, but as mco said, better to prebook if possible, although this means you have a timetable to stick to, and prebooking might get you a discount.

Another option you might want to look into is a round trip ticket that lets you cross at Stranraer and return by Rosslare, which again would save on the two crossings.

If its of any interest there,s a decent camp site less than a mile from Stranraer on the A77, and a hour or two exploring the town and harbour would be worthwhile, and the same applies to Rosslare.

This time of year there's normally no problem just turning up though watch out for Rangers or Celtic matches if you're travelling via Stranraer. The ferries can get a bit full then.

If you want to book but you're not too sure of return dates you can pay a few quid extra and get a flexible ticket which will allow you to chop and change times and dates.

Let me just wish you well when it comes to dis-embarking Spud. As a motorhome you will most probably be put in amongst the juggernauts with their foreign drivers all trying to keep to impossible deadlines.

One of lifes great adventures this, as three narrow lanes of traffic jocky for position before exploding out of the blocks through tight bends and chicanes trying to be first out on to the roads. Towering above, in front and behind you, with little more than inches to spare, this calls for concentration and courage rarely matched anywhere else, but if you survive this then Ireland awaits you, so get out there and enjoy yourselves.

thanks for that Howie - Sue is now reaching for her Vallium as we speak. You forget however, that I have spent many a happy hour on the M4 hardshoulder gazing in wonder at the skill and bravado of these foreign lorry 'drivers'.

:D

Don't mention it Spud, always here to help and advise if I can. Just thought a word of caution on weather conditions might help though and as i,ve already mentioned, this Stranraer/Belfast crossing can be a real pig of a crossing at times. Bad news is that the tail end of Hurricane Gustave will hit this area towards the latter part of September, so apart from the usual travel tablets etc, it will help you to know that the first aid station is located towards the bow on the middle deck, and don,t be afraid to ask for stretcher assistance for disembarking which is always available on request.

Hi, Would just like to say, Howie, how can you frighten poor Spud and his wife, (lol) They are new to motorhoming, Dont take any notice of him Spud, apart from the helpful advice. Re, Foreign Juggernauts, on Ferries,

I have heard from a good source that all roads around Southsea, will be closed Due to unforseen circumstances, At the exact time you will be visiting,Howie. So sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Ria. (lol)

p s Of course if the situation alters I will let you know,

Ria, I don't take too much notice of Howie, we should be OK, stocked up on Quells, arm bands and wetsuits, although with all the extra weight, may have to leave Sue's wine cellar at home.

Really looking forward to getting the van on the 12th. Trying to sort out Insurance at the mo, so many quotes to look at - anybody out there got any ideas?

Plenty of places offering insurance Spud but always find the Caravan club, Camping and caravan club or Saga pretty competitive. Might get it cheaper elsewhere, but with the one's i,ve mentioned everythings hassle free and upfront with recovery and road service often included.

Forgot to mention that on ferry fares and camp sites on this years trip to Ireland we saved almost £70 with the C&CC Spud. The booking service and other arrangements were as always first class, and something else worth taking into consideration.

That was on the ferry fare and camp sites Carol, but what always impresses me is the way the C & CC take care of things for you. Just tell them the time you want to go and tickets are sent to you whithin a day or two with all arrangements sorted. Takes all the time and hassle out of these trips with just one phone call.

Archived