Fiat fuel cap locks and security

Sparky7

There have been a few incidents reported of Fiat locking fuel caps being stolen.The key is the same as the ignition key.Villains then clone keys from the locks on the caps and return to steal the motorhome.Fiat seem unable to supply a locking fuel cap for some reason, but they can obtain a set of locks for you.Cost around £26.00.One of these can be used to change the existing lock on your fuel cap.This means carrying yet another key, but it does offer peace of mind!

• 3 weeks later...
Your Fiat dealer is correct, the ignition key contains a transponder that the engine management/immobilizer reads, if it's not the right one then the engine no go brum brum. What the key will allow the thieves to do is to get into your motorhome and overcome the steering lock which would allow them to tow it away. D.

Two years ago I had a phone call from the Police saying I had driven off without paying for fuel at a garage in Yorkshire. They had video footage of a car identical to mine in colour with same reg. Fortunately was able to prove I was at a business meeting in Bristol at the time, and covered by their CCTV. Police checked my car and saw I had a Derbyshire Dales parking permit in the window which was not on that car. But it was a lot of hassle, and no number plates stolen. David

Archived