Fiat or Transit?

dicky

Hi all, Im hopeing to buy my first motorhome at the end of this year but not sure which base vehicle, i like the transit but most seem to be built on the fiat is there a reason for this? Im thinking of buying a new one in Germany, the prices are very good compared to here {Ireland},.Anyone got an opinion on the Roller Team Granduca 67, it`s a 7 berth with bunks. I have to have bunks, to keep the kid`s seperated :-D Thanks

I've had both over the last 22 years. One transit and 4 Fiats. I did enjoy the rear wheel drive of the transit, the handbrake in the centre of the cab was a real pain when turning the cab seating and for falling over. The first Fiat I had was in 1984 itwas a real rust bucket. I once did an emergency stop and it almost de rusted itself. The latest Fiat is the 2.8 jtd a great motor, can't fault it, 41,000 miles in under three years. The problems many motorhomers have with their vans are caused by lack of use. I know one van owner who did less than 3000 miles in three years. When I tell people how many miles I've done the usual reply is "Your never be able to sell it with all those miles on the clock". This is our last motorhome (barring unforeseen happenings), we are slowly turning now to other types of touring/leisure trips. There's a life out there without a motorhome. Don

• 3 weeks later...
If you are planning to buy a new Ford or Fiat based motorhome in Germany towards the end of the year then it will almost certainly be built on the very latest 2006 chassis. Personally, I'd opt for a Fiat as it's a big leap forward over the present version in terms of motorhome suitability. Besides which, although the Fiat's looks are definitely controversial, magazine photos prove that Ford's decision to cross the front of a Transit Connect with a brick-built ****house is going to result in perhaps the ugliest Transit-based coachbuilt designs in the history of motorcaravanning. The Granduca 67 is a big motorhome for a 3500kg chassis. You don't say how many people you will be travelling with, but I believe you will really need to beware of the usable payload available for this model. (In fact, for any genuine 'family' motorhome design built on a 3500kg (or lower overall weight) chassis, you are going to need to keep a very close eye on payload if you want to stay legal.)

I didnt know fiat were bringing out a new model but will keep that in mind.The reason i looking at such a big one is to get as much space as possible and bunk beds as this is going to be my first camper and dont want to regret later.

2006 heralds significant changes in pretty much all the base-vehicles on which motorhomes are based. Fiat changes are the most radical with virtually nothing of the 'old' Ducato carrying over to the new model. It's likely that motorhomes built on the new Fiat chassis will be (slightly) more expensive than now and dealers (particularly Continental dealers) will be keen to get shot of 'vans based on the current Ducato before the new models appear. If price is a real issue for you, then it could be worth you looking out for 'old model' Fiat bargains - otherwise I'd choose the new Fiat. As I said previously, watch out for payload. If a motorhome is marketed with 'standard weight' (usually 3500kg if you buy abroad) and 'uprated weight' chassis options, it's a racing certainty that you'll need to choose the uprated-chassis version to obtain sufficient payload capacity for normal legal use.

I got a magazine today with a write up on the new fiat, looks and sounds nice. I drive a truck most days and if im not in a truck im in a van, either transit or fiat, i think the transit has a better driving but the this is the only complaint i would have with the fiat but but the new one seems to have sorted this.If i do buy one in Germany i will wait till the new model is out. Im planning on going to the caravan and camper show in Dusseldorf in august so i dont mind waiting .Is there any down side to buying in Germany besides being lefthand drive, which doesn`t bother me, the prices seem very good.

Archived