Fire

nightrider

Have you ever seen a campervan on fire? 3 or 4 years ago we went to the VW Vanfest at the Three Counties Showground at Malvern.

A VW type 2 set on fire and the speed of the fire was breathtaking, within minutes it was an inferno from what I heard later, apparently the vans owner bought and fitted a CD player in the van, whether he caused a short circuit that went through the electical harness I dont know.

It doesn't bear thinking about if that fire had started at night while the occupants were asleep.

I have been to vanfest a few times but stopped going when it developed into a beanfeast of drunkeness and fighting, pity really I enjoyed vanfest.

Always a good idea to show children how to open and use window catches in the event of such emergencies, and easiest access in relation to where they sleep, especially as it may be dark and confusing, perish the thought.

Never had a problem with 'anti social' campers so far, but put this down to choice of site. Know of one or two places where there has been trouble so give them a wide berth.

Thankfully I've not yet seen a fire in a caravan or motorhome but many years ago I saw a frame tent next to me 'explode '

The lady in the tent knocked over one of those gaslights that had a disposable container, the sort that is pierced when you screw the top on.

It hit the ground and went off like a bomb, setting fire to the inner tent.

The lady was taken to hospital with some burns, and her dog shot off squealing and wasn't seen for a couple of days.

( I've steered clear of those kind of lamps ever since !)

:-(

Being a plumber I am used to handling gas cylindars and well aware of how dangerous they can be in inexperienced hands, especially propane which burns with a fierce heat.

There are times when I have been on site when I have seen someone trying to connect a gas bottle who didn't know the difference between a left or right hand thread and some who even had their gas bottle lying on its side, a total no no, when you weigh things up a lot of people only come into contact with a gas bottle when they take up camping and caravanning activities and never have I seen anyone carry out a soundness test when they have fitted up a new bottle, a good job that the C&CC sites enforce the 20' rule unlike private sites who jam everyone together, a disaster in the making surely.

Archived