Fireworks

Violet1956

Violet1956 - 2018-11-11 7:06 PM

They are at it again tonight. For the past four nights we have had loud bangs that cause considerable distress to our pooch. I think it is time for some regulation that restricts the use of fireworks to a few days throughout the year so that animal owners could prepare for them.

I so agree with you. They should only be allowed for organised events, not for letting off in gardens. I am surprised "Health and Safety" have not stepped in , and banned them , other tha for commercial use.

PJay

Barryd999 - 2018-11-12 10:57 AM

antony1969 - 2018-11-11 7:43 PM

Barry set these off earlier to celebrate National LBGTQRSTUV Day ... https://twitter.com/Rise_Soar_BFree/status/1061705123100049411 ... Cracking display

Awww lovely. QRSTUV?

Queer

Reared

Straight ( no longer politically correct )

Transgender fluidasensual

Undecidedasensual

Vegetarian

antony1969 - 2018-11-12 12:53 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-11-12 10:57 AM

antony1969 - 2018-11-11 7:43 PM

Barry set these off earlier to celebrate National LBGTQRSTUV Day ... https://twitter.com/Rise_Soar_BFree/status/1061705123100049411 ... Cracking display

Awww lovely. QRSTUV?

Queer

Reared

Straight ( no longer politically correct )

Transgender fluidasensual

Undecidedasensual

Vegetarian

Ill take your word for it, your clearly the expert on such things.

Friends with pooches and cats in my neighbourhood try to mitigate this onslaught with medicine or gadgets that are supposed to release stuff into the air that will calm them. I don't relish medicating my dog for extended periods and I am sceptical of the claims made that some plug in thingy will calm your pet . I wonder how many wild and other domestic animals are caused to suffer unnecessary distress. At the same time I don't want to be a party-pooper. P'raps this is not the most important thing on the government's agenda. I understand that, but it is of concern to me all the same.

Violet1956 - 2018-11-12 3:47 PM

I worry about you Antony. I started a thread about fireworks and animals and you still feel the urge to hijack it for more of your nonsense. Don’t encourage him Barry.

Worrying is for much more important things in life Veronica ... Given your comments I think if you were a firework you'd be a pack of damp wet bangers ... Impossible to light and a complete let down

antony1969 - 2018-11-12 5:19 PM

I worry about you Antony. I started a thread about fireworks and animals and you still feel the urge to hijack it for more of your nonsense. Don’t encourage him Barry.

Worrying is for much more important things in life Veronica ... Given your comments I think if you were a firework you'd be a pack of damp wet bangers ... Impossible to light and a complete let down

Never pretended to be anything but a damp squib on occasion Antony, especially when it comes to my natural inclination to pour water on the type of rubbish you are inclined to spout.

Violet1956 - 2018-11-12 5:34 PM

antony1969 - 2018-11-12 5:19 PM

Never pretended to be anything but a damp squib on occasion Antony, especially when it comes to my natural inclination to pour water on the type of rubbish you are inclined to spout.

Thats more like it Veronica ... Doesnt make much sense though ... Dont know why you'd pour water over rubbish but it seems to have got old PJay all excited ... Hopefully not too excited ... Might be him/her/gender neutral needs the water pouring on em to cool down ... Have you noticed my contribution to the thread however much you bleat about it has had more responses than yours ... Regards

Violet1956 - 2018-11-11 7:06 PM

They are at it again tonight. For the past four nights we have had loud bangs that cause considerable distress to our pooch. I think it is time for some regulation that restricts the use of fireworks to a few days throughout the year so that animal owners could prepare for them.

I sympathise. All I can offer is to advise you not to contemplate moving to East Sussex - unless you first check for the existence of local bonfire societies. The county is riddled with them, and I'm afraid ('though personally pleased! :-)) to say that were you to achieve the introduction of your regulation, East Sussex would probably secede from the UK!

Of course local people have dogs and cats: some are unflustered, others have to be sedated. Their owners have to come to terms with the fact that the celebrations pre-date them or their pets and are unlikely to change. The celebrations are an extremely noisy ancient tradition, dating back to at least the burning of protestant martyrs in the 16th century, as well as Guy Fawkes.

Local people would fight the introduction of such a regulation tooth and nail. As the local expression goes, "Sussex wunt be druv"!

Our dogs were OK this year, mostly I suspect because we live in an area where there are few children who need entertaining  but our dogs have in the pastgot very twitched.

Tempting though it is to demand banning of fireworks or whatever (I read of a horse owner wanting only noiseless fireworks to be allowed) I got to thinking about how conflicts of interest like this (lots of people like fireworks) can be resolved fairly - and how that works for the many other conflicting preferences (or demands) we get these days in our very demanding society. 

Where is the balance to be found?  Who decides?

Lots of people make demands that everyone else either does or doesn't do things their way because they are convince they are right and they have a rigth to impose on others.  I have relatives who are unhappy in and around dogs and they want dog owners to be obliged to keep their dogs to themselves - including in public spaces like parks.  Why should they have to put up with a dog approaching them and (as often happens) jumping up at them?  There was a report the other day about vegan activists who were using violence against meat-producing farmers.  There is a sign locally about banning a house development across the road, where the residents currenttly enjoy a pleasanter view of trees, so they want that preserved.  NIMBYism is not at all uncommon; we have a neighbour who routinely objects to anything he can, seemingly in the hope of getting some advantage out of being obstructive.  President Trump feels entitled to reject all asylum seekers, no matter how awful the circumstances they are fleeing from towards a better prospect.

Is it reasonable to seek to ban fireworks because you want to keep and protect a particular sort of pet, just because you might not value fireworks at all?  A friend of mine is a firework nut who makes his own and uses them to provide displays for deserving causes - he's one of the most worthy people I know.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy fireworks too. All I suggest is that there are special dates set aside when we all know they are going to be set off so as to be enable people to make adequate preparations to protect their animals and reduce the impact on other wildlife. New Year, the nearest Saturday night to bonfire night and/or Diwali would be a good place to start perhaps. There may be other occasions when they are welcomed by most people. Four days on the trot of incredibly loud bangs has just been a bit too much for my dog. That said my neighbour’s cat seems to love them as he is inclined to venture outside to watch them without flinching, maybe he is an East Sussex cat. The problems only seem to occur around October/ November time each year.

Guest pelmetman

Last New Year we were at Hendaye Plage.........

Their fireworks was like a reenactment of the battle of the Somme 8-) ......... went on until 4am *-) .......

Fortunately had some happy pills left over from our last dog Troy.........A couple of those and she was well spaced out B-) ........

This year we intend to be on an aire in the middle of "Nowhere's Ville" :D ..........

Violet1956 - 2018-11-12 7:00 PM

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy fireworks too. All I suggest is that there are special dates set aside when we all know they are going to be set off so as to be enable people to make adequate preparations to protect their animals and reduce the impact on other wildlife. New Year, the nearest Saturday night to bonfire night and/or Diwali would be a good place to start perhaps. There may be other occasions when they are welcomed by most people. Four days on the trot of incredibly loud bangs has just been a bit too much for my dog. That said my neighbour’s cat seems to love them as he is inclined to venture outside to watch them without flinching, maybe he is an East Sussex cat. The problems only seem to occur around October/ November time each year.

It goes on for weeks around here, Veronica. Fireworks are everywhere, some home made, many extracted from the strings of bangers (rook scarers) used by farmers for crop protection. The kids and teenagers get hold of them and let them off more or less at will. The societies travel to each other's celebrations, so although a few are on 5 November, many others are not, allowing participants to move from one to another. It is highly organised and choreographed.

Enforcement of the ban would be hugely expensive and, ultimately, because of widespread public resistance, unworkable. In theory (so I guess in reality as well) I believe it is illegal to let off fireworks in the street. Forget it! Fireworks are let off in the streets in front of the police, who merely join in the laughter. It is huge fun, at times actually dangerous, and certainly not for the faint hearted - or their pets. East Sussex just "does" bonfire. It is what East Sussex (and bits of west Kent) does.

PJay - 2018-11-12 11:33 AM I am surprised "Health and Safety" have not stepped in , and banned them , other than for commercial use.PJay

If we, as a society, always applied the same safety criteria on what was allowable, fireworks clearly would be banned because they are explosive and are capable of being used as weapons as well as entertainment.  As Brian has pointed out, fireworks are far too popular and far to impractical to ban, same as alcohol.  We are also moving towards legalising canabis for the same pragmatic reason.

I remember a bit about the Bonfire societies when I lived in Brighton many moons ago. I never went to any of their events mind. Back in the day there was a Lewes one that was still burning an effigy of a Pope and no one batted an eyelid. It had a nasty undercurrent of religious sectarianism.

Violet1956 - 2018-11-13 11:08 AM

I remember a bit about the Bonfire societies when I lived in Brighton many moons ago. I never went to any of their events mind. Back in the day there was a Lewes one that was still burning an effigy of a Pope and no one batted an eyelid. It had a nasty undercurrent of religious sectarianism.

Wonder what "nasty undercurrent" burning an effigy of Boris Johnson has ... Prolly none I guess knowing the hypocrisy that lives on here

Violet1956 - 2018-11-13 5:30 PM

Sorry Antony that I omitted to list all tasteless effigy related burning incidents that you seem to believe I need to mention in order to establish that I am not a hypocrite. *-)

With your previous Veronica it would take much more than listing all tasteless effigy burnings to establish your not a hypocrite ... Maybe I partly need to apologise though as it seems you are suggesting the Boris burning was "tasteless"

If you have any knowledge or opinion on the activities of the Bonfire societies in East Sussex then do please share them Antony. Quite happy to hear what you have to say, we may agree to disagree. Ask yourself, what purpose is served by dishing out personal insults, damned if I know.

Violet1956 - 2018-11-13 11:08 AM

Common misunderstanding, I'm afraid, Veronica. :-) The Pope who is ceremonially burned in effigy each year in Lewes and elsewhere is Pope Paul V (1605 - 1621), who was Pope at the time 17 Protestant martyrs were burned in the town.

The burning is not anti-Catholic (although a number of Catholics have been offended by it), it is an annual act of "revenge" for one of the atrocities carried out during the wars of religion under Blood Mary. See this link: http://tinyurl.com/yaes77j6 for more info. Long memories down here in Sussex - we all remember it vividly! :-D

Others are also burned in effigy, obviously Guy Fawkes, but also people in public life who are deemed worthy of the "honour". Inevitably numerous effigies of Boris and Theresa this year, but also Govia Rail, Trump, the chief constable, Putin, Assad, Kim Jong Un, Angela Merkel, Gaddafi, Cameron and Clegg, etc. etc.

Politically correct it definitely ain't, but it is huge fun if taken in the right spirit!

Archived