Fish-less ... well nearly!

Mel B

We've just given away all our pond fish including some lovely big carp and ghost koi. Too much trouble and we weren't really that intested in them any more - always had to arrange for someone to come and feed them every few days and keep an eye on the water level whilst we were away on holiday so it means one less worry/hassle. It also means that when (if?) we sell our place we won't have to sort out a new abode of them then.

The poor pond though looks like it's been trashed by a dredger!!! Ooooo all the gunk ... and all my poor plants and lilies are extremely manky looking now with bits 'torn' off them during the fishing expedition. :-( We think there might still be a fish or two in there as well, just can't get at them yet, waiting for the water level to go down a bit more before we mount another 'hunting expedition'. They must've been happy, though, as they'd been breeding again, quite a few juvenile fish about 3 inches in length and it looks like some of the adults are already expecting so we probably rehomed them just in time!

We'll still keep the pond though as the birds love the little waterfall - we've got 2 ponds actually, one was here when we moved it, a proper pond, the other was one that we made from the inspection pit of the double brick garage we took down (nearly broke hubby's heart!) as the previous owners had built it right slap bang in the middle of the ruddy garden! We kept the outer walls and it has made a nice BBQ/seating area. Sorry I digress!

Anyway, now that we don't have fish, I was wondering if there were any nice pond plants that I could put in - we've got the lilies and some grassy looking stuff (not up on my plant names!) but we never really bothered with anything else as the fish used to dig stuff up. Anyone got any suggestions???

Or as we feed our neighbours rabbit, chinchillas and fish and you go in one day to feed them and all the fish are dead.

We know s*d all about fish & tanks etc and fretted like mad until the owner came home and told us the heating element had packed up and sorry if we'd been worried about it.

Martyn

Thanks for the plant suggestions, will have to see if I can get some, mimulus sound nice! :-D

They've definitely all gone though, haven't seen any more lurking in the water, just an adult and a few baby frogs - really cute they are too. :D

Mel When I went to feed my fish today, they were all barging into one fish and chasing her. Do you think she could be having babies and what can I do to stop them from eating them all up ..... if I'm not too late already, please. Joy :'(

Only going through the mating process Joy. Nothing to worry about and though it can exhaust the female fish she should survive. Hard old life, but eating the young is for the best in the confined space of a fish pond as not only does this keep the natural balance for the space provided, but will also lesson the chance of inbreeding which stores up its own problems for the future and if any re-stocking is required its always best to introduce new fish to the pond.

Our pond is now covered by various surface plants that help provide shade and deter the odd heron attack, but to help feeding, and to make sure enough light gets through for bottom plants I have 5 of those old hoola hoops placed at various intervals that I bought at a motorhome show some time ago when they were a bit of a rarity. Struck a deal with the owner of the stall and bought a dozen hoops at a discount . Had'nt sold to many and I explained why I wanted them and he promptly made up a sign advertising them as 'fish feeding rings'. Don,t know if he sold anymore, but any length of hosepipe with a watertight connector can be used, and formed in to any shape, to do the same job and they certainly make feeding and maintainence a lot easier with just a gentle jet of water now and then to clear any stray floating plants.

Nothing to do with fish, but i,ve just managed to get our stupid cat in by using my 'secret' cat bait. Its one of those laser torches that I confiscated off my son years ago, and never mind how much he wants to stay out on the tiles that little red spot proves irresistible, so just play it in front of him and he,s hooked, and a damned sight easier than chasing him up and down the garden. Bet that clever dicky inventor never thought of that. :->

Not really that inventive Joy, but I do have a talent for handling other peoples money so you can put me down as treasurer. Held this position on numerous occasions, but as most of these are currently under criminal investigation it would be remiss of me to comment on any details at the moment.

Discovered that 'cat and laser beam' by accident when I was having a clear out. Switched it on and the cat went racing up the curtains and across the walls, and though he refuses to attack my 90 year old mother in law when I play it on the back of her head it still gives the pair of us hours of fun. Must try to get some piccies on here for you to look at.

Archived