Food on the move

michele

What kinda food do you all take whilst travelling .

Sick of sandwiches and the same old borining stuff can anyone suggest anything different ? What do you all take ? We leave Friday night and by then we will be hungry with all the packing and stuff get down to the shuttle and eat a sandwich. Later that night we hope to make it to the other side of paris before our eye's play up we will be hungry again more sandwiches ... Wake up in the morning and hopefully bacon & eggs.

lunchtime more sandwiches teatime more sandwiches ..Sick of em any suggestions folks of simple but easy things to store whilst on the move.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We always cooked extra a day or so before we set off so we could easily warm through (oven/ hob / microwave), such as cottage pie, pasta etc. when we were sailing and tried the same last year during our very brief ownership of our first motorhome. Worked well, together with salads, wraps etc. We also have handy for actual travel times - prepared and washed fruit in small containers - grapes & orange segments are great on a long journey and can be fed to the driver if necessary....

If you are going on your hols this weekend - have a great time! We have 6 weeks and 3 days to wait before we follow on...... B-)

I confess we're pretty lazy regarding traveling food and its the one time we "treat" ourselves to fast food. We often find a Burger King (much better than the golden arches variety of junk food) somewher on our route and they uncannily pop up right about lunchtime 8-)

D. (lol)

Guest caraprof

I'm afraid that I still love the novelty of being able to park up, preferably somewhere nice and just walk into the back, put on the kettle and slip a bagel under the grill.

I then sit back in my lovely little motorhome and think how wonderful it is to have your home on your back. No worries about finding a public lavatory or indifferent restaurants, your own private space with some nice music or your favourite newspaper before hitting the road again half an hour later.

Sad or what!

No not sad frank we all I think do the same well we do anyway.

Apparently I have been warned re the fast food because of cost Dave It costs a small packet £35 plus for the kids and all that onion rings and trimmings mind you burgers are not cheap are they .

Bagels sound nice & cottage pie and the makarels fish ..Good idea's folks anyone anymore ?...makes a change sometime I just need a kick up the behind to wake my brain up.

Not off till next Friday but like a kid so excited already my life. :D :D :D

I agree with Frank thats why we bought  our motorhome to do just what you like when you like if you are hungry just stop and eat if you feel tired just stop and have a nap and in between just enjoy the whole advantage of having your home with you on the move .

Have to agree with Frank - when we stop, I prepare what ever we like, we do like the chunky soups, very satisfying with nice fresh bread!

That's what it's all about - this motorhoming lark - everything to hand no matter where you are :->

Carol

One of our favourite stand bys is a tin of Chili con Carne from Lidl (because its the best one not the cheapest) with a few extra saltanas thrown in and a couple of packets of boil in the bag rice and in 20 mins you have a tasty meal and if you have landed at your destination a bottle of red wine goes down well, and I do like Franks description of the inside of the motorhome thats what its all about. Enjoy your holiday Michele... Cheers Carol.

caraprof - 2007-07-19 4:55 PM

I'm afraid that I still love the novelty of being able to park up, preferably somewhere nice and just walk into the back, put on the kettle and slip a bagel under the grill.

I then sit back in my lovely little motorhome and think how wonderful it is to have your home on your back. No worries about finding a public lavatory or indifferent restaurants, your own private space with some nice music or your favourite newspaper before hitting the road again half an hour later.

Sad or what!

Not at all, Frank, spot on, in fact. A motorhome is our own oasis of calm in an increaingly mad world.Bob

Like catinou I make up extra whenever I make a chinese, curry or casserole. I freeze it in Lakeland 0.6L containers which are ideal for 2. the same size holds the right amount of noodles for 2 or 4 portions of rice split in half with cling film. I let the main course defrost in the fridge en route and within 10 minutes of stopping I can have a hot meal.

Bob

I regularly make up extra but unfortunately we eat it!

As we don't have a KFC anywhere near where we live it is a bit of a treat for us when on route to call in.

When doing the long run down to sunnier places in winter we have a couple of cans of good quality stewed steak in the 'van and a couple of tins of veg - open 2 cans into pan and cook through for a few mins - add a chopped up french stick and you have a meal in mins. We also carry a large can of lentil stew to which we add a jar of frankfurters again a few mins in the pan and add some crusty bread and you have another quick meal.

Before you think we live off canned meals - this is only for a meal in a mo when doing long runs. - No we din't get the long runs from the lentil stew!

Stir fry

Need:

- frozen mixed oriental veg pack

- pork loin or chicken breast - already cooked is ideal to save time, cut into thin strips (if you're using raw meat cut it into strips and cook it quickly in the wok before starting the stir fry then do the stir fry as below)

- cashew nuts (optional)

- stir fry sauce

- oil for frying (I like to mix a bit of olive oil with some veg or sunflower oil)

- dried noodles

1) Heat wok and put in a little oil, get nice and hot then pop in the frozen mixed veg (if you dab the veg with some kitchen paper before additing it, it stops it going too soggy).

2) After a couple of minutes stir frying, pop in the meat and stir fry for another couple of minutes to thoroughly warm it through - Mix in the stir fry sauce and warm through for a couple more minutes additing the cashew nuts for a further minute.

3) Whilst the above is going on in a pan of hot water drop in the dry noodles (break them into 2-3 inch lengths as it makes mixing it with the sauce much easier later) and cook for 2-3 minutes then take out and leave to one side to drain in a sieve/collander to remove excess liquid and let the steam dissipate, resting a clean tea-towel over the top to absorb the moisture (makes them drier).

4) Once the stir fry mix is cooked, put in the noodles and mix thoroughly - it's easier to do using 2 spoons.

5) Serve and scoff!

Lovely and tasty and doesn't make much washing up either! To get the bowls warm, I place them over the pan with the noodles in, moving the top one to the bottom half way through, they make a good lid and warms them up nicely (nothing worse than a cold Chinese).

We also take along some uncooked prawn crackers and cook them up 3-4 at a time in a small saucepan with about half an inch of oil in the bottom - it warms up very quickly and it is sufficently deep for them to cook (you don't need loads of oil), drying them off on kitchen paper on top of a paper plate.

To make a quick, tasty and cheap dip for the prawn crackers, mix some jam (plum is very good!) with some soy sauce to get a sweet and sour dipping sauce.

Oooooo ... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!!!!

:-D

Another one - on the Ferry back from France on Saturday teatime we didn't want to have to pay the extortionate prices for ferry meals so instead bought a freshly cooked chicken from Boulogne sur mer market and I made up 2 boxes of salad, with the chicken breast at one end, some crusty bread, coleslaw, sauce and bottled drinks.

On the boat we bought a bowl of chips (we were getting withdrawal symptoms after 2 and a half weeks!) and shared these between us with the rest of the food ... lovely and tasty. Total cost about £3.50 for both of us.

Hymer C 9. yOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD.

Whenever we go away hubby knows his first meal in the van is Lidl`s Chilli big can and rice, its so quick and easy to prepare, but he likes real boiled rice, he is such a pain in the a*$e with food but he does like that chilli.

So however long our drive to destination he knows his first meal.

for ease buy packaged ready meals forn local supermarket lasagne,shepards pie or one or two more variants they take about 20 mins in oven. if you want to be real lazy eat out of the tray they come in, not that we would ever do that though >:-) ;-)

Archived