For Mr Victor Meldrew

michele

Hi Frank,

thought it might catch your eye . please help i want to buy back that old camera the Olympus ? zoom lense fast sports mode ? SLR can't think sorry.

I know you said E bay . Whats todays equivilant to it please .

I want to go du dum du dum du dum fast sports mode catch the horses over the jumps' .... these digital ones are no good caught me out on Sunday . Have piccy of the sky no bloody horses in them ...Help please .

jackie ,

had this camera it was fantastic .. He bought it for me oh 18 years ago .

because I couldn't screw on all these lense things ... It took the most wonderful clear clarity piccys .... Alas its not buyable now .

went off to a show on Sunday I escaped he had the kids . that bloody digital thing let me down so annoyed ....

frank once told me i could buy it still on e bay ..

i probably couldn't work yours but nice though david bailey. ;-)

Olympus IS 3000

Guest Frank Wilkinson

There's no modern film equivalent I'm afraid. Your only hope is a used one and ebay is still your best bet.

I would suggest that you learn to use a digital model. There's no reason why a modern digital SLR shouldn't do what you want perfectly.

They all have easy-to-use 'Action' or 'Sports' modes, where all you do is dial in the mode and leave it to the camera.

You can buy a fixed-lens SLR with a 10X optical zoom if you don't want to bother with interchangeable lenses.

Frank ,

I thought I had bought a good one got conned in Lanzarote that will teach me paid around 600 english £ biggest heap of Crap I have ever had.

Bought the lenzes as well love the fact that you can just shoot & shoot but you have to keep the object still thats all very well with the kids ..

Sit still no way.

Did I ask you before senior mo. can i have it mended if remeber rightly the shutter speed packed up going slower ?. can't remember probably you did tell me. What do you recommend that will shoot sports mode quick sucsession continious frame?.please...

£600? Piece of crap?.........I think you will find that if you learn to use it properly it will do everything you want. I have a Nikon 800 Digital and it is brilliant. Even though it is an old model and only 2.2 Mpx. At the end of the day it's as it's always been, it's the lense that really counts. Which camera do you have Michele?

Now your asking a Fujifilm s3000 fine pix 3.2 mega pixels 8x optical zoom.

I need to go bang bang bang like david bailey ...thi thing you have to say stay still. other wise they move you have had it. No good to me.

And o level english ha ha would you believe it hahahhahha

There is some good info about digital photography + downloads + tutorials on the following - http://h41257.www4.hp.com/cda/hpec/display/main/hpec_content.jsp?zn=hho&cp=2-705_4022_0__

The fact that it is HP doesn't matter.

It might be useful in gaining the upper hand on the camera.

Alternatively you might like to check out http://www.castlecameras.co.uk/

The staff are total enthusiasts and would probably be happy to talk on the phone. They have a used equipment section.

;-)

Michelle, the Finepix 3000 is a good little SLR style camera. I have a three year old Fuji Finepix SLR style (can't remember the model number but its a 6 MP job) and its a cracker. You should be able to do pretty much anything with your Fuji that you could do with your old Olympus except swap lenses. The only real drawback with most digital cameras is the shutter lag. This is the slight delay between pressing the button and the camera actually taking the shot. With practice even this can be overcome. It could be worth checking out your local further education college as many run photography courses where you can learn how to get the best from your camera equipment.

D.

Are you saying she's a bit thick Dave and don't know how to use a camera. (lol) Mind you! she is a woman, so I suppose that say's it all really. :D

dave your right its the shutter speed that lags behind . trouble is have to wait til I think he horse is going to jump and then click in front . That usually works but really hard with the kids can't exactly say sit still smile ops dont move the shutter speeds to slow....

I,M a bad workman Dave

Peter 3 down 1 to go lol,

Guest Frank Wilkinson

There are cameras now with virtually no shutter lag. I'm on my monthly trip to London tomorrow but on Friday morning I'll ask one of my really expert staff for some advice on suitable models etc.

Sports photographers use nothing but digital SLRs these days, which proves my point I think.

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-02-21 8:41 PM

There are cameras now with virtually no shutter lag. I'm on my monthly trip to London tomorrow but on Friday morning I'll ask one of my really expert staff for some advice on suitable models etc.

Sports photographers use nothing but digital SLRs these days, which proves my point I think.

frank plain english for a thicko ...sports photographers bit

He means press photographers covering sports events nowadays mostly use digital, thorugh the lens metering, single lens reflex cameras.

I.e. the ones where what you see through the viewfinter is actually the view through the camera lens, where the light meter meters through the same camera lens, and where you can interchange different focal length, and zoom, lenses.

That, in turn, means their cameras are more than capable of freezing fast action.  Mind, they cost around £3,000!

Michele.

I have got a Finepix S5000 had it a few years now, it took quite a while to get the hang of it but i find its very good, I use it for wildlife photography with not too many problems, and wildlife dont sit still. Wish I could afford one of the new Digital SLR's, one can only dream.

David

I checked last night and mine is the Finepix S7000.

Brian, you no longer need to pay that kind of money for a good digital SLR, look here: http://www.cameradepot.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=SLRDIG231

for a 10+MP Nikon digital SLR for well under a grand.

D.

P.S. sorry Frank I know you're in the business and internet sales must have an impact on that. Just out of interest what sort of price do your shops carry the D80 at?

Hi Dave,

Frank does the Nikon D80 with the 18-135 for £760.00 but I dare say he'd knock the extra quid off if you spoke to him nice (or would he) www.wilkinson.co.uk.

I've got the Finepix S7000 as well and as you say it's a cracking camera. I bought it when I got tired af humping a heavy gadget bag around so the Olympus OM2n 35mm SLR with spare lenses etc is in the back of a cupboard. I might get it out if I ever feel the urge to be creative but I haven't had a decent urge for ages.

Regards,

John.

Thanks John, I'm not actually loking for a new camera as the s7000 does absolutely everything I need and a bit more besides. I was just asking out of pure curiosity. I also only posted the link for the Nikon as an example of what is avaialble after only a short search on the net, if I'd known Frank's web address I'd have given a link to that instead.

By the way, nice site Frank but it seemed interminably slow for me, ho hum.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-02-22 10:34 AM I checked last night and mine is the Finepix S7000. Brian, you no longer need to pay that kind of money for a good digital SLR, look here: http://www.cameradepot.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=SLRDIG231 for a 10+MP Nikon digital SLR for well under a grand. D. P.S. sorry Frank I know you're in the business and internet sales must have an impact on that. Just out of interest what sort of price do your shops carry the D80 at?

Thanks Dave.  Yes I have half an eye on a D80 - bodys only for under £500 sound about right, all new etc.

However, what I really had in mind was the press guys D1/2s.  Stick a decent zoom telephoto lens on there and you're comfortably at £3,000!

'Chele, with the greatest of respect I have to say you'd do better to learn how to get the best from the camera you have before you spend another £600+ on a camera that won't necessarily help with the problems you're having.

brian, I follow your point but unless you're doing top level journo/paparatzi work you don't need to spend anything like £3000.

On a slight side issue, one of the things I really find endearing about Andy Stothert is he still wants a 5"X4" camera with the black hood. beleive it or not I think if he ever gets one he'd still lug it up a mountain and spend half a week waiting for the perfect light!!

D.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
michele - 2007-02-22 7:30 PM John warehouse express .com Sorry Frank £ 682 with a 18/70ml lense

Yes, but that's a much cheaper lens!

Archived