For Peter....et al.

BGD

England My England.

Goodbye to my England, So long my old friend

Your days are numbered, being brought to an end

To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine

But don't say you're English, that's way out of line.

The French and the Germans may call themselves such

So may Norwegians, the Swedes and the Dutch

You can say you are Russian or maybe a Dane

But don't say you're English ever again.

At Broadcasting House the word is taboo

In Brussels it's scrapped, in Parliament too

Even schools are affected; staff do as they're told

They must not teach children about England of old.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw

The pupils don't learn about them anymore

How about Agincourt, Hastings, Arnheim or Mons ?

When England lost hosts of her very brave sons.

We are not Europeans, how can we be?

Europe is miles away, over the sea

We're the English from England, let's all be proud

Stand up and be counted - shout it out loud!

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too

We're proud of our heritage and the Red, White and Blue

Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack

Let the world know - we want our England back.

For spineless heretics who whine and bluster from the comfort of their armchairs, whilst their country dies for lack of their courage.

BGD - 2009-06-17 9:23 PM

England My England.

For spineless heretics who whine and bluster from the comfort of their armchairs, whilst their country dies for lack of their courage.

Just exactly whereabouts is the Costa Blanca in your England

:D :D :D

Big Momma - 2009-06-17 10:42 PM

BGD - 2009-06-17 9:23 PM

England My England.

Just exactly whereabouts is the Costa Blanca in your England

:D :D :D

I'm sorry to say that after a long and awful terminal decline my England finally passed away about 20 years ago.

I left the corpse about 7 years ago, for another country that for me still maintains at least some of the societal, political, economic and cultural values that had once been valued in England.

So the inland Costa Blanca is for us an England substitute.

It represents the qualities in society and community that I witnessed being gradually torn from the heart of the once-proud English Lion.

England is still a location on the map.

But it's not England any more.

That makes me very sad.

But we each only get one life, and I chose to make the change and spend the latter part of mine in what I feel (personal view only) is now a much better country and community than what has prevailed in what used to be England.

Guest Tracker

Just because an Englishman chooses to live in Spain it does not make him any less English than an Indian living in England would make him any less Indian.

Maybe the day will come that ex pats stop being concerned about our England - and that will be a sad day.

Where we choose to live does not affect our patriotic pride - not that we have much of it left - and those that knock others for choosing to live in a warm and sunny environment might examine their reasons for so doing.

Meanwhile my sentiments are with Bruce.

Tracker - 2009-06-18 11:27 AM

Just because an Englishman chooses to live in Spain it does not make him any less English than an Indian living in England would make him any less Indian.

Maybe the day will come that ex pats stop being concerned about our England - and that will be a sad day.

Where we choose to live does not affect our patriotic pride - not that we have much of it left - and those that knock others for choosing to live in a warm and sunny environment might examine their reasons for so doing.

Meanwhile my sentiments are with Bruce.

I'm not aware of anyone "knocking others for choosing to live in a warm and sunny environment".

I certainly wouldn't.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

:-|

I do not have any issues with anyone wanting to move to another country for whatever reason, climate, economy, lifestyle. Indeed myself and the OH have often talked about it and we are ardent watchers of all the programmes like "Place in the Sun", "A new life abroad" etc.

I even smiled at BGD's poem. What tended to spoil an otherwise good peice of poetic prose was his final snipe referencing spineless heretics etc. etc. was there really any need for this (?)

I have served my country (and worn the union jack on my uniform with pride - another thread ) in several places around the world, served in 2 Gulf Wars and the Balkans Conflict. Whilst abroad I met many expats who enjoyed their lifestyles but who still celebrated good old St Georges Day, Queens Birthday etc.

But should someone who has, for their own reasons, upped stickes and left old blighty snear at those that for whatever reason have elected to stay (?) No matter what country you are in, listen on the Boules pitches, or in the bars where the locals congregate and hear what they are moaning about, their government (local and national), the economy, immigration, crime rate, youngsters of today etc.........sound familiar :-S

Many patriots live in a different country to that about which they eulogise. The Scots seem to be the worst with those living outside Scotland being the most vociferous about what is the right thing to do for Scotland.

Those who bemoan the fall of the English should remember that we are a mongrel race, far less pure bred than the Welsh and the Scots. If we believe the DNA tests, there is no such thing as a true 'Englishman'. That is the great secret of the English. We absorb different cultures from our conquests, exploration, and trade becoming stronger as a result. A mongrel may not always be the most attractive dog but it often has traits about it concerning courage, temperament, loyalty and longevity.

A German once told me that whatever people felt about the English, and it wasn't always positive, nobody could deny what a small race of island dwellers had given the world and nobody could ignore them.

A group of Arabs I met last year said that what they liked about the English the most, is that we didn't think of ourselves as English. Other Europeans and the Americans lacked so much confidence in whom they were that they had to have all the attriubutes of nationality. They said these people were like the noveau rich who had to have the right labels on their clothes etc to feel they belonged. The English were like the true rich, the quality of their clothes spoke for themselves without a label.

I think all this means is that the English do not need reminding that they are English. We know what we are - and we're not British.

I liked the poem. It flowed nicely. However, I prefer the England we live in and not some misty eyed version of yore.

Brock you said it all! Your my favourite!

England, My England.

Wow! A poetic punch-up got to get some of this!

Peter, you did rather ask for it with the “sick thread” post.

I think I’m probably several miles left politically of the average poster on here, Even so, I didn’t find anything to fight about in BGD’s take of a pretty old joke. Personally I don’t subscribe to the Brown is responsible for this mess point of view, But I think it pointless to press the point on what after all is a motorhome forum.

You can come across sometimes as a little liverish at times in your posts Peter; so keep your shirt on OK?

I find a lot to agree with in BGD’s poem but his view that English Greatness’ be defined by the battles fought slightly jingoistic.

Oh BGD, you left out the Zulu wars, and the Amritsar ‘Campaign’.

I thought your poem was great, but the “spineless heretics,” bit uncalled for. I see you claim to love motorcycles, so why ride a tasselled tractor? You could have had my GPz 750 for that sort of money. LOL

So, seconds out! Next round of turgid prose. No low punching, gouging etc.

VARIETY

I've been reading English history, now I'm a little bit confused.

Who exactly are the British? Seems there are several different views.

About ten thousand years ago, the Dover straits were dry,

So a Belgic tribe strolled over who were called the Britanni.

The trouble starts in fifty five BC, with a Roman guy called Caesar,

then Claudius in forty three AD, brought in a crowd of Italian geysers.

They included Gallic troops and Spaniards, now this bit's really neat,

The slingers were from the Balearic Isles, the archers came from Crete!

It appears the Picts once lived in Scotland, then moved much further south.

Then the Scots, who were actually Irish, invaded the Severn's mouth.

The Jute's and Angles from Denmark, arrived about this time,

they were just starting to interbreed, when the Saxons came from the Rhine.

Then Norwegians came in Viking ships, with those silly cow horn hats,

just time for a quick rape and pillage, then it's Norman's, 1066 and all that.

Perhaps now you see my confusion, where does this leave you and me?

Are you so sure your so racially pure, or just part of this racial puree?

Now this must be a real nightmare, for the lads in the BNP,

Perhaps you’re beating up Great Granddad, or deporting Great Auntie?

So go home Yousef, you too Winston, leave our lineage undisputed.

A Channel tunnel? God forbid! We don't want our genes diluted!

So don't forget to sign your visa before you board your 747.

If there's a space, that asks your race.

Just write, Heinz fifty seven.

So rhyme on about your England,

and its charming rustic scenes.

But in the end my ex-pat friend,

We are all just human beans

Regards PKC.

Not de-crying BDG but i don't think it's his poem as i've recieved this by e-mail quite a few times. I think BGD just posted it like some posters put jokes on here. Please correct me if I'm wrong and this isn't intended as a slight against BGD as i enjoy his posts (usually)

No offence taken,Clive, If you give it out, you have to be prepared to get it back.

As a relative newby here I was very surprised how fragile some of the egos are, it seems that some wait pen(or keyboard) poised, ready to dash off a disgruntled response.

Anything I post on here can be taken as tongue in cheek, with no malicious intent, If I think someone is a jerk they will be left in no doubt.

Anyway Clive how could I fall out with you? My Dad was a bit of a sport,

and travelled widely, we could be half brothers!

JOKE!!!! _ NO personal insult intended!!!)

Regards PKC.

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

Robert E. Howard

Guest Tracker

One L in Michele is enough for us all

get it all right and let's have a ball

Don't miss the one L if you know what's good

'cos no-el comes too soon along with the pud

So Michele dear lady we're all on your side

enjoying our vans and one L of a ride

MICHELLE

Michele, one L,

Tracker moved, before the masonry fell,

Poor shot Michele.

We tease you, we tease we tease you,

I think you know by now.

So take careful aim,

Before his next refrain,

Do for this pain,

Michele.

Good luck next time,

Before his next rhyme,

Reload your hod,

Bye Michele.

(lol)

Guest JudgeMental
That's what we need.... the presence of a a ladything to stop these nob measurer's in their tracks.....

Archived