Fort Paull

Forester

Mel B - 2008-08-11 10:11 PM

For anyone who is wondering what Howie is babbling on about, this is it:

http://www.fortpaull.com/ccm/navigation/home/

Thats love for you Mel, with everyone and everything coming out 'Howie'. x.

That Blackburn Beverly is a new one on me Colin. Used to take quite a interest in planes of this era when I was younger but this one must have passed me by.

Trying to rack my brain, isn't amazing what you can forget

In my days serving HRH the queen, my unit was tasked with some airfield work on Sadinia, I seem to think it was 1977 the herky bird was the flavour of the month then. (as still is)

There was a piece of equipment that was required to do this job and that we were to fly out from Germany. It was ancient and too large to fit the herc so they had to recommision a Beverly (I think, this is where my brain starts to hurt) just to fly this bit of equipment out. It was decided that because of the cost of keeping the plane in service for the duration of the job that once it had delivered the kit it would fly back to the UK be decommisioned and sold off and the equipment that had been flown off would be sold off for scrap on the island.

Tax payers money well spent would you not say

Geof

The info on web site about Beverly is incorrect, there where two Beverly's flying much later than the dates shown. Off hand I can't remember exactly when they where decommisioned but think it was some time during 70s, this was dicussed in aviation press some years back I knew they had been flying at least untill 1970, as my previous post, I used to watch then.

Archived