You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  General Chat -> Chatterbox
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Format:  Go
Forum Vote for Mods
AuthorMessage
userdonna miller
Posted: 26 July 2007 1:51 PM
Subject: RE: Forum Vote for Mods

Forum master

J9withdogs - 2007-07-26 1:25 PM

Hey, Dave, IMHO that's a tad strong.

Perhaps it's a bloke/gal thing?

and it's still bl**dy raining here

Thanks J9, maybe as a mere girly (with a Class 1 HGV, who regularly takes out abnormal loads of 25 metres in length and 6 metres wide),plus being an advanced scuba diver who holds a private pilots licence, I should stick to the knitting or flower arranging forums, because I obviously know nothing about life.

And yes the rain is chucking it down here in South Wales.

userCliveH
Posted: 26 July 2007 1:51 PM

Lord of the posts

Donna - well said - I could not agree more.

Dave - what are you like!!!! - Donna and i specifically said that only certain individuals take things personally - and then you go and do just that!

Absolutely bloody amazing!!!!!!!!!
userdonna miller
Posted: 26 July 2007 1:54 PM

Forum master

Dave Newell - 2007-07-26 1:46 PM

Sorry Donna my opening line was not aimed at you, I picked up on several terms that had been used by different members and only one word of that came from you. As I've said earlier in this thread going "off topic" per se is not at issue here. If there is a logical path that a thread takes then fine but if someone jumps into a thread about how best to change a wheel and says "I took my dog for a walk this morning" then that is clearly a non logical diversion that might well mean the topic starters questions don't get answered. As for active moderators, well if we really did have active moderators this thread would be redundant by its very nature.

D.

my writing of my last post has overlapped yours, and apology accepted, I do actually have you down as being one of the more sensible people on here, so was surprised at your reply.

Edited by donna miller 2007-07-26 1:54 PM
userJ9withdogs
Posted: 26 July 2007 2:14 PM

Lord of the posts

donna miller - 2007-07-26 1:51 PM

Thanks J9, maybe as a mere girly (with a Class 1 HGV, who regularly takes out abnormal loads of 25 metres in length and 6 metres wide),plus being an advanced scuba diver who holds a private pilots licence, I should stick to the knitting or flower arranging forums, because I obviously know nothing about life.

You know, this is so weird. At first reading,I actually took Donna's reply to me the wrong way and thought she was having a 'pop' at me.

Just goes to show that, without seeing people's faces when the reply, how words can be misconstrued!
usermichele
Posted: 26 July 2007 2:22 PM

Well you are all correct of course its so funny not to see people talking when you talk we rely on body language this helps obviously to assess the persons mood and subconciously we are all taking that in when we talk.

Sometimes certain people will assume that they are being put down or belittled I can assure you all that one I,m not like that and two if I have a problem I say so . I did not join this to fall out with people quite the oposite i would rather make friends with people and learn from them.

I don't know all of us can't get it right all of the time can we
why oh why can we all not agree to differ instead of wanting a verbal punch up in cyberspace ...
i know some people hate these smiley things but in all honesty I think in cyberspace when we cannot see what someones body is telling us then they are a god send..
userVictor Meldrew
Posted: 26 July 2007 2:23 PM

Keeps coming back for more

Dave Newell - 2007-07-26 1:46 PM

Sorry Donna my opening line was not aimed at you, I picked up on several terms that had been used by different members and only one word of that came from you. As I've said earlier in this thread going "off topic" per se is not at issue here. If there is a logical path that a thread takes then fine but if someone jumps into a thread about how best to change a wheel and says "I took my dog for a walk this morning" then that is clearly a non logical diversion that might well mean the topic starters questions don't get answered. As for active moderators, well if we really did have active moderators this thread would be redundant by its very nature.

D.

I’m not surprised you thought Donna had you in mind Dave, I did as well.
userdonna miller
Posted: 26 July 2007 3:51 PM

Forum master

Thanks again J9.

I really must learn to use new sentences more often. Thus avoiding confusion.

It should have read, "thanks for the support J9" and then gone on to say the bit about girlies etc. in a new paragraph,

userJ9withdogs
Posted: 26 July 2007 3:57 PM

Lord of the posts

donna miller - 2007-07-26 3:51 PM

Thanks again J9.

I really must learn to use new sentences more often. Thus avoiding confusion.

It should have read, "thanks for the support J9" and then gone on to say the bit about girlies etc. in a new paragraph,

No probs, Donna - us girlies have to stick together - we all know that men come from a different planet

But that is just my opinion and I don't want to cause any offence - I'm thinking about making that my signature to go at the bottom of all my postings

PS I was a qualified firing range control officer - and I can shoot with deadly accuracy.

Edited by J9withdogs 2007-07-26 3:58 PM
userDave Newell
Posted: 26 July 2007 4:02 PM

Forum master

As its plainly obvious that some have misinterpreted my comments I'll explain a little better (perhaps). My reference to Donna's final paragraph illustrating why mods are needed stemmed specifically from this comment "I'm ashamed to say that the vast majority of them avoid this site mainly because of the actions of the mindless minority," . My reference to Donna's opening paragraph was quite clear I feel. Donna didn't make it clear that she was referring to a conversation in real life.

I'm sorry if anyone found this offensive in any way, it was certainly not meant to be.

I really don't understand why so many members are against the idea of having member moderators, as I've said every other web forum I've looked at uses them to great advantage.

D.

Oh and by the way, nowhere did I say I felt the finger was pointing at me personally, I said WE.

Edited by Dave Newell 2007-07-26 4:03 PM
userdonna miller
Posted: 26 July 2007 4:09 PM

Forum master

So are we all still friends then ?
userDave Newell
Posted: 26 July 2007 4:27 PM

Forum master

I wouldn't have it any other way Donna .

D.
usermichele
Posted: 26 July 2007 4:34 PM

Oh goodie gum drops
userMel B
Posted: 26 July 2007 6:45 PM

The special one

Donna .. don't go getting Dave all excited telling him about your Pilots licence, HGV licence and scuba diving, poor old soul can't take it you know at his age.
userdavenewell@home
Posted: 26 July 2007 8:48 PM

Forum master

Mel B - 2007-07-26 6:45 PM

Donna .. don't go getting Dave all excited telling him about your Pilots licence, HGV licence and scuba diving, poor old soul can't take it you know at his age.

Oy you, that's enough. I'll have you know I'm younger than gorgeous George Clooney by several months.

D.
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 26 July 2007 9:08 PM

Strange, is it not, that words are supposed to be our servant: yet so often turn out to be our master.

And strange too, that there are moderators on this forum, who do not moderate.  They used to, in a suitably light sort of way, but for weeks on end now they seem to have given up.

Should there be "member moderators"?  Indeed, need there be member moderators?  To that I would answer, with great gratitude and in all humility for having been singled out as a possible candidate, that you are too kind: but the thought does not fill me with great enthusiasm!  I think it would be a rather thankless task, and if I'm honest, one I should much prefer to be undertaken by those already in post.  I therefore propose taking the issue up with Warners, to try to find out what has been going on and why there has been no detectable moderator presence of late.  So, for the time being at least, my honest response to the proposal is thanks, but no thanks.

Now, back to the beginning, about words.  I'd guess that we all write what we hope will be understood as we mean it.  Our reward, of course, is to be, by degrees, misunderstood: sometimes mildly, sometimes catastrophically.

Sometimes the result is only the equivalent of "eh?" and sometimes it is a raging "argument" between two individuals who would probably never say what they write were they within striking distance of each other.  Why?  It is that stray word, that badly placed comma, that typo or spelling error that skews what we thought was all nice and clear so that, when read by someone else, it acquires a totally unintended, and sometimes offensive, meaning. 

Some then take to calling the author a fool or a scoundrel - or worse - with the respondent usually getting back his/her (for this is not entirely a gender thing) insults in spades.  This rumble of discontent then carries on through a thread about something else, like a summer thunderstorm signalling its presence during a beautiful day.  It is, in short a bore, but the protagonsits are by now away with the red mist, all sense of proportion thrown to one side as each seeks to score points from the other.  The string, whatever may be its subject, can go to hell: I'm going to teach that lardy so and so he can't speak to me like that.  And so on, and on , and on , and on until all sane mortals are driven away in despair by Tweedledum and Tweedledee, for that is who they become.

So, yes, we need moderators; not to wield the big stick, but just to go in and edit out these exchanges to leave the thread unsullied by the insults.  Not to ban people, but to disarm them: in short, to shut them up when they go too far.  I also think we need the mods to do a bit of housekeeping around the forum: to keep the chat where it belongs, the hints and tips where they belong, the sites comments where they belong and the motorhome, or caravan, or walking, or statics queries where they belong. 

I don't see this a "control freakery", as someone has sought to portray it, but just as keeping a bit of peace on the streets and keeping the forum "home" neat and tidy, so things end up where they were intended to go.  I can't, for the life of me, see what there is to object to in that, unless you live in complete chaos, and have a pathalogical hatred of order.

With your permission, therefore, I'll contact Warners on behalf of members to see what the score is.  Unless, of course you'd prefer someone else to do so.  But do say.

userpeter
Posted: 26 July 2007 9:53 PM

Dave Newell - 2007-07-26 1:20 PM

So we're now immature mindless control freaks, wow!

Donna Miller's final paragraph sums up exactly why we do need moderators on here.

As for Donna's opening paragraph "IMHO we get along fine in real life without too much interference from moderators, " this is totally fallacious. We do have moderators in real life, we call them the Government and the Police force.

Edited by peter 2007-07-26 10:14 PM
userpeter
Posted: 26 July 2007 9:57 PM

Victor Meldrew - 2007-07-26 12:36 PM

Dave Newell - 2007-07-25 5:22 PM

In general there isn't a problem with threads drifting away from the original topic as long as any questions posed by the topic starter get answered and the diversion follows some sort of logical path, like it has in the jack handle thread in Motorhome Matters. The problems only arise with going "off topic" when it is a diversion into totally unrelated subject matter, TC's posting on here about taxing his car is actually an excellent example of this.

I think the fact that no moderator or administrator has commented on this thread speaks volumes!

D.

Taxed it this morning actually Dave, done it on-line, much easier than going to the post office.

Whilst checking my documents I discovered that my MOT runs out shortly, I’ll let you know when I’ve had the car tested.
Oi' Victor Bog off we're trying to have a serious row er I mean discussion here. We'll talk about your M.O.T when it's finished, O/K.
userpeter
Posted: 26 July 2007 10:08 PM

donna miller - 2007-07-26 1:51 PM

Hey, Dave, IMHO that's a tad strong.

Perhaps it's a bloke/gal thing?

and it's still bl**dy raining here

Wow I'm impressed Donna. I wish I lived closer to you. Maybe you could take me up for a spin. Then I would be able to take you for a thrash in my boat. But I don't. It's a pitty some on her don't have as wide a range of interests as you, maybe they wouldn't be so narrow minded and humourless.
usercrinklystarfish
Posted: 26 July 2007 11:37 PM

Brian Kirby - 2007-07-26 9:08 PM

...With your permission, therefore, I'll contact Warners on behalf of members to see what the score is.  Unless, of course you'd prefer someone else to do so.  But do say.

Brian,

I for one support your approach to Warners as a positive first move. Thanks for volunteering. I am all for the natural progression of a thread, and have no objection to a healthy debate; nor the robust defence of a viewpoint. However, the correct forum placement of threads, and the need to reign in some of the over-zealous or utterly gratuitous exchanges is, as this very thread itself perfectly demonstrates, irrefutable. I await the outcome with interest.

usermichele
Posted: 26 July 2007 11:41 PM

In response to your question Brian ............yes you have my vote !

Oh and Thank you .
userpeter
Posted: 27 July 2007 12:04 AM

And mine.
userdavenewell@home
Posted: 27 July 2007 7:00 AM

Forum master

Go fir it Brian.

D.
userJ9withdogs
Posted: 27 July 2007 8:14 AM

Lord of the posts

I think you are the man for the job, Brian.

Would you be moderating avatars too
userVictor Meldrew
Posted: 27 July 2007 12:08 PM

Keeps coming back for more

Brian,

When you contact Warners, please be clear to them that you speak on behalf of a small minority of members.
userMel B
Posted: 28 July 2007 7:15 PM

The special one

What about if the initial starter of the thread had the final say in the sense that he/she could say SHUT UP, END OF etc to whoever is being a nuisance and/or spoiling it? Would that help? If we all agreed to that policy, it could prevent some threads going on so long or getting out of hand. It would mean that it didn't fall to one or two individuals to then keep things in check.

Just an idea ya knows!
userdavenewell@home
Posted: 29 July 2007 7:32 AM

Forum master

Trouble is Mel they'd have to give us all Moderator rights to enable us to close our respective threads etc.

D.
userMel B
Posted: 29 July 2007 4:57 PM

The special one

Dave, I'm talking about respect - that the offender respects the 'rule' as it were - that the original poster can call a halt and stop posting on that particular thread. No actual 'rights' would be needed other than that.

Can't see that it would happen though thinking about it!
userdavenewell@home
Posted: 30 July 2007 7:19 AM

Forum master

Nice idea Mel but it wouldn't happen would it. Too many people have free access to the forum and your idea would rely on every one of them abiding by this unofficial "rule". If forum members can post new threads in less than ideal sections what makes you think they would all abide by this rule?

D.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 30 July 2007 9:35 AM

I've always understood that Chatterbox was introduced for subjects that had little or no relevance to the other forum sections (which is why I'm such an infrequent Chatterbox visitor). That some postings find their way into Chatterbox that would be better posted elsewhere (and, more rarely, vice versa) is, as I've suggested in the past, to some extent due to the position of Chatterbox towards the top of the Forum home-page where it naturally attracts the attention of new forum members. The Chatterbox description - "Want to chat about anything and everything? This is the place" - is no great help either.

Shuffling postings between forum sections is a mindless task and, I'm pretty sure, could largely be avoided if the Chatterbox section were moved to the bottom of the forum home-page and/or its description were more finely worded. (Haven't I said this before?)

Better still would be a 2-stage procedure for new threads where initiators first composed their text then, on clicking on 'Submit', were asked to select the appropriate forum section to which they would like the new thread added. A more detailed, more helpful, description of the intended purpose of each forum section would be presented to the new-thread initiator who would then pick the most suitable. While admitting that this idea would not prevent the bloody-minded among us from deliberately selecting an inappropriate forum section, it should minimise the chance of threads ending up in the 'wrong' place.

Thanks to those forum members who suggested me for forum moderator duty, but (Sorry!) there's no chance I'd take that task on. I've got continual difficulty justifying to myself the time I spend (my wife more accurately says "waste") on-line already without adding to it by acting as a forum referee or thread shunting-engine.
userdethleff
Posted: 31 July 2007 10:38 AM

Liking what I've found

Since it appears nobody is keen to take on the position of moderator, may I propose Victor Meldrew for the position.
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator