Free camp or filthy camp.

jumpstart

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tracks-lay-bys-across-snowdonia-18771317

Wales is having a tough time with people camping just about anywhere. Locals not impressed with the mess. Are we now past the carefree days of freecamping, Is it now unacceptable when campsite are available. They are not particularly cheap in Wales, but with the lack of public toilets it’s a problem.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-17 9:40 AM

when I saw the title I thought filthy camp referred to the Covid infested campsites

Free camp might refer to the lay bys - but its hardly free as we pay for our use of our public roads many times over in vehicle related taxes.

Do you pay for the local bins to be emptied of your human waste? *-) ...........

I pay Council Tax for emptying the dog waste bins, so Yes.

Admittedly not as much as in England

because BoJo taxes you

and gives the money to us

to bribe us not to vote for the nationalists.

So BoJo maintains His empire at Your expense.

Which makes you the Loser

John52 - 2020-08-17 9:40 AM

when I saw the title I thought filthy camp referred to the Covid infested campsites

Free camp might refer to the lay bys - but its hardly free as we pay for our use of our public roads many times over in vehicle related taxes.

You need to read the article, it’s about the mess so called free campers leave behind and the often thoughtless parking and night stops.

Paying road tax doesn’t allow you to do what ever you like.

As far as Wales is concerned I think camp sites are quite expensive,but I don’t particularly want to see Motorhomes or vans parked all over the landscape .

jumpstart - 2020-08-17 10:47 AM

You need to read the article, it’s about the mess so called free campers leave behind

I read it but saw no evidence of mess left by motorhomers, who in my experience carry their own toilet and waste bin. If this is really about preventing littering they need to identify who is leaving it - like they do with fly tipping by hidden cameras - incredibly cheap to buy and install now.

But I suspect they are really interested in banning people from bringing their own beds, so we are forced to sleep in their grotty beds at an inflated price.

Does the littering stop when they ban motorhomes *-)

John52 - 2020-08-17 11:08 AM

jumpstart - 2020-08-17 10:47 AM

You need to read the article, it’s about the mess so called free campers leave behind

I read it but saw no evidence of mess left by motorhomers, who in my experience carry their own toilet and waste bin. If this is really about preventing littering they need to identify who is leaving it - like they do with fly tipping by hidden cameras - incredibly cheap to buy and install now.

But I suspect they are really interested in banning people from bringing their own beds, so we are forced to sleep in their grotty beds at an inflated price.

Does the littering stop when they ban motorhomes *-)

There was a long line of vans,but they weren’t Motorhomes just vans that people kip in. The mess is the reports from locals about toilet waste etc .

I see no reason why people shouldn’t stay in sites or CL’s. I don’t want to see the landscape taken up by hoards of vans. Having said that the local authorities should provide Public toilet facilities and if this country was really go ahead French stile aires that people pay for water ,waste etc. No reason for them to be free.

jumpstart - 2020-08-17 11:34 AM

I see no reason why people shouldn’t stay in sites or CL’s.

May be overpriced, booked up, and higher risk of covid

I don’t want to see the landscape taken up by hoards of vans.

This isn't just about you.

No reason for them to be free.

Except that public owned land belongs to the public so one might argue the public shouldn't have to pay someone else to use their own land.

But they aren't free.

What are we paying taxes for *-)

John52 - 2020-08-17 12:22 PM

I see no reason why people shouldn’t stay in sites or CL’s.

May be overpriced, booked up, and higher risk of covid

I don’t want to see the landscape taken up by hoards of vans.

This isn't just about you.

I have just booked 3 CLs at £10 & £15 per night incl hook up in North Wales.

So not expensive and not booked up.

And it is about me, if it’s public land you are talking about ,I should get a say too and I don’t want them on it.

jumpstart - 2020-08-17 7:44 AM

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tracks-lay-bys-across-snowdonia-18771317

Wales is having a tough time with people camping just about anywhere. Locals not impressed with the mess. Are we now past the carefree days of freecamping, Is it now unacceptable when campsite are available. They are not particularly cheap in Wales, but with the lack of public toilets it’s a problem.

UK doesn't exactly help itself by providing zero facilities and long been notorious for potty prohibition notices banning overnight parking.....even at motorway services fgs!! By comparison touring and driving outside of UK was always a pleasure, and as an example the service areas and rest stops on German Autobahns have superb facilities and you can stay as long as you like without any charge at all.

Campsite prices in UK are pretty horrendous and many are often not far off B&B prices. Some friends of mine work the summer season as site wardens and the site they usually work has opened up but i doubt they'll be doing it next year as they're fed up with the abuse off customers.

Bulletguy - 2020-08-17 2:32 PM

UK doesn't exactly help itself by providing zero facilities and long been notorious for potty prohibition notices banning overnight parking.....even at motorway services fgs!! By comparison touring and driving outside of UK was always a pleasure, and as an example the service areas and rest stops on German Autobahns have superb facilities and you can stay as long as you like without any charge at all.

Campsite prices in UK are pretty horrendous and many are often not far off B&B prices. Some friends of mine work the summer season as site wardens and the site they usually work has opened up but i doubt they'll be doing it next year as they're fed up with the abuse off customers.

Quite agree, if Global UK could be a bit more far sighted we could do aires more like France.

Generally I try to avoid the large sites but have just had two nights at Slapton. There were 93 units on site,and though reasonably quiet it was like a supermarket car park. We then went to a CL at East Prawle which at £15 a night was a quieter field with facilities. B&B is around £90 a night , in someone else’s bed. I prefer the field.

It always amuses me that people with motor homes costing thousands of pounds seem to need be able to stop free of charge or at someone elses expense. I always use campsites and the ones I use are reasonably priced clean and well appointed.

John52 - 2020-08-18 3:05 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-08-17 6:58 PM

Given we have free loaders on here who openly brag about throwing their human waste in public bins

Can you quote where anyone has done that

Or is it just something else you have made up

Common knowledge ... Move on

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-17 9:58 AM

because BoJo taxes you

Correct you pay for the bins to be emptied in Pissindoon ;-) ..........

So take your Sh*t home >:-) ..........

Birdbrain - 2020-08-18 6:16 AM

John52 - 2020-08-18 3:05 AM

Birdbrain - 2020-08-17 6:58 PM

Given we have free loaders on here who openly brag about throwing their human waste in public bins

Can you quote where anyone has done that

Or is it just something else you have made up

Common knowledge ... Move on

If that were true you could quote it

But you can't

So its just something else you have made up

pelmetman - 2020-08-18 7:56 AM

because BoJo taxes you

Are you seriously suggesting we should only use the council bins within the council area where we pay our council tax?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-18 10:28 AM

pelmetman - 2020-08-18 7:56 AM

because BoJo taxes you

Are you seriously suggesting we should only use the council bins within the council area where we pay our council tax?

Nope.......I'm saying you should only use our bins for rubbish ;-) .........

That's why they're called Rubbish bins........NOT Human Waste Bins *-) ...........

teflon2 - 2020-08-17 7:24 PM

It always amuses me that people with motor homes costing thousands of pounds seem to need be able to stop free of charge or at someone elses expense. I always use campsites and the ones I use are reasonably priced clean and well appointed.

It's not about a "need", more about the facility of being able to......something we've never been particularly good at here in UK. Wherever i had an 'off grid' overnight stay local nearby businesses always benefited from my custom. The only place that happened in UK was Scotland. Cruden Bay is a wonderful example of what can be done with very little space (only enough room for four or five vans). They use an 'honesty box' for folk staying overnight. Nothing but the sea view at Cruden except a general store, a pub, and Chinese take-away. All benefited from my business. Wherever i see "no overnight parking" signs in UK, local trades lose my business and i go elsewhere. That's where European countries are ahead of us.

Quite agree Bullet , for a country which is a world beater for footpaths we are well behind on Motorhome access to overnight spots. But it’s the mess and abuse of it by the few that ruin it for others.

However my idea of a good spot certainly is not in a lay-by or a car park.

jumpstart - 2020-08-18 2:49 PM

Quite agree Bullet , for a country which is a world beater for footpaths we are well behind on Motorhome access to overnight spots. But it’s the mess and abuse of it by the few that ruin it for others.

However my idea of a good spot certainly is not in a lay-by or a car park.

You should see some of the rest halts on the Autobahns in Germany. Mature trees giving plenty of shade and screening, decent tables and seating, some even have fixed barbeque points for public use. The service areas are similar except much larger and with full restaurant and cafe facilities. Plenty of waste bins around too which are regularly emptied....you won't see any overflowing with rubbish on the ground like you do here.

Archived