Freephone numbers on mobiles

net-traveller

Came across this petition on an IT site. Could be worth a minute or two of any mobile users time.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/mobilefreephone/

It was started by a computer engineer who was fed up of being charged for making these calls on a mobile when out in the field.

It's a start and maybe it will force landline & mobile operators to look at the non-geographic charges. I, for one, am fed up of being forced to use these numbers and finding that they are outside of the inclusive calls packages.

;-)

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but a 'freephone' number is a ffree number - no ifs and buts as to which metwork you may be conneting from.......! I've alwasys thought it wrong to call them that if they're not.

As to the link quoted above, I found this from somewhere or other a whiloe ago, and use it frequently. I find it works for about 95% of numbers, and must have saved £s....! Sometimes you do have to look at different ways to get the alternative, It's stored as one of the 'favourties' on my computer.

Hi,

One of the reasons most mobile phone companies don't allow free calls to free phone numbers like 0500 and 0800 is that some of the bolt on telephone companies that offer cheaper calls were using them to help you avoid paying your service provider.

If they did allow you to use them your service provider could if you were on pay as you go, end up supplying you with the airway and getting no revenue, as you would be using the freephone number to link yourself to your bolt on telephone company and then paying them a reduced fee for the call

hope that make sense

Have to agree with Mel B - surely it doesn't matter who your line provider is, or whether its a landline or mobile, a 'freecall' is - or should be - free. Otherwise doesn't it contravene the Trade Desctiptions Act (or some oither one maybe!)?

I will try again ?

If you have a Pay As You Go mobile phone you don't pay anything unless you make a call (UK Use) so the provider Virgin, O2, Vodafone etc etc get no income from you unless you make a call,

Therefore you need to make calls for them to be able to continue to provide you with a connection otherwise they will go out of business or certainly stop providing any Pay As You Go phones, as they need to make money? to keep the system running

Are you still with me ?

Now while some 0800 and 0500 numbers are legitimate and in certain circumstance are linked to charities etc some are NOT and these are the ones that I think have spoiled it for the rest

To try and explain, there are/were a number of independent companies that offer/ed to provide you with cheap call rates on your mobile, and all you need to do is dial a 0800 number on your mobile which connected you to their system bypassing your service provider and then you dial the number that you really want through the independents system.

If your Pay As You Go mobile company allowed you to dial this 0800 free then they wouldn't get any income as you wouldn't be making a chargeable call through them you would be making through this independent company,

does that make sense ?

By the way Virgin Mobile allow you to call some 0800 numbers if they are on their list of legitimate charities etc

I think I follow the reasoning, BUT when I got my very first brick-sized mobile, way back when the world was young and there was no such thing as "Pay as you Go," I very quickly found that "Freefone" numbers (eg Green Flag!) were already not free. And this at a time when "line" rentals and call charges were both much higher than for landlines.

So forgive me if I'm unconvinced by service providers' pleas about nasty people who might rip them off!

Tony

Archived