French sites for Joy (and others..)

LordThornber

Joy, another for you to consider over the water is the excellent network of Municipal Sites. Doubtless someone will want to correct me but here goes..

They are generally close to the village/town centres and are run by the council. We discovered them years ago and rarely use anything else. Only once have we been disappointed by a site. They vary in size, are kept v clean, quite often have leisure centres nearby, are very good value, offer a degree of security and we love 'em.

IMHO they sit somewhere between commercial sites, (too pricey) and Aires, (too raw), but please, that's only my view though.

There are loads in the C Club sites book or Googling will get you where you want.

You can still camp on them for a fortnight for just over £100, the one we use in The Dordogne costs about £150 for 2 weeks but it's a premium location. The cheapest we've used was in Martel, about 2 years ago, less than £4 per night.

Good luck

Martyn

We have a Municipal camping site quite close to where we live in Aubeterre Sur Dronne. It is absolutely beautiful and we used to stay there before we moved here. It is sited on the River Dronne and has its own beach, diving boards and canoes. It is very close to the village itself. 5 minutes walk. The only problem I think about Municipal sites is that they hae a very limited opening period, Aubeterre is only open from 15th June to 15th September although the Aire de Camping is open all year. We have tried many Municipals whilst caravanning and 99% have been excellent.

Last year we blew our electrics and had to rely on sites for the whole holiday, we used the CC Europe 1 book and that gave loads of Municipal Sites, definitely worth the money.

The best site we stayed on was in Maran, large individual pitches, huge site under trees in many places, with their own swimming pool that is open to the village too. Next door was a river complex where you can hire your own little motor boat for up to about 5 hours I think and just go meandering around all the little outlets, we had a lovely day on them, think that cost us E30 for up to 4 people. It also has a bank and supermarket 5 minutes away.

Mandy

We first discovered "Campings Municipals" when we did our very early tent-camping trips. Even back then, before "camping-cars" took off, the French had a very positive attitude to the whole camping scene. CM's were great value then, and still are. They're still our first choice when we want a "proper" campsite.

Tony

maggyd - 2008-06-05 4:17 PM

Is there a book that has these Municipal Sites in? We have just received our French Aires sites book and we have Alan Rogers Camping Europe.

I have not come across a book listing municipal sites only, but there a lot included in the Caravan Europe Book 1.

Alan Rogers Camping France also usually includes municipals that they have inspected.

:-|

We've stayed on a few Municipals and they have been good value for money and usually close to the town. We stopped on the St Malo one (camping d'Alet I think) last Friday and Saturday night. It was a good site with a great view of the town and ferry port but the problem is that people who run the site go home at night. The local youf obviously know this because on both evenings they decended on the field behind us like a swarm of locusts making lots of noise, shouting and revving their engines etc. I managed to get to sleep because I'd had more than a drop of the hard stuff but I can understand some people may have been annoyed by it.

If we call in there agian, we will make sure it's not at the weekend.

John.

Don't forget the ACSI affiliated sites, we used them whilst on holiday, all for 14 euros a night including the dogs and electricity. Depending on which sites you use they cost either 10, 12 or 14 euros a night. The last one was one of the Castel chain 5* campsites near Guines with it's own heated covered pool, water slide (weather too cold but I was tempted!), toddler pool, table tennis, tennis courts etc. It had a restaurant and takeaway on site and the pitches were well proportioned and the site is very nice indeed! We'd been there before a couple of years ago so knew what to expect and were not disappointed. As it is located only a short drive from Ardres where there is a very good reasonably priced vet (82 euros for one 20kg medium and one 10kg small dog and this included the wormer by injection as opposed to tablet so not bad value), and only about 20 miles from Calais it is perfectly placed for a last night before home if you want a bit of 'luxury' before your holiday is over. We've used the ACSI sites when we need a 'proper' site and on the whole have not been disappointed with them.

If anyone is interested, I've found a French Campsites POI for your SatNav device which contains 1103 entries including stacks of municipal sites.

I've attached a TomTom OV2 version and a Garmin CSV version for the bloke in the wig.

I've also attached a Microsoft AutoRoute 2007 version which has been zipped up using WinRar but it should open if you only have WinZip.

I'm off for a week's vacation tomorrow so if you have any queries I won't be able to answer you till I get back back.

. . . gonna go now . . . eyes watering . . . cat's just been to . . . dirtbox . . . finding breathing difficult . . . arrrrggg

French Campsites CSV.zip

French Campsites OV2.zip

French Campsites.rar

Archived