Gas Guzzlers

howie

The truth is that they take up to much space, they are badly driven, they loom over us in our lower cars, they intimidate by their sheer bulk. This is just a quotation re. 4x4s taken from one of todays newspapers, so I wonder if other motorists view motorhomes in the same way. Howard.

I drive a 4x4 myself - it runs on LPG so is cleaner that most of the cars the "tree huggers" run. The fact of the matter is that because of some excellent work done by people that prefer the truth to hyped up emotional nonsence, the BBC and most newspapers have stopped refering to 4x4's as "planet eaters". Not least because whatever you drive - it polutes. So the "anti's" are reduced to emotional babble such as:- They are big - (The most popular 4x4's have a smaller footprint than most saloons Only Bad Drivers use them (Really! - the worst driver I know round here drives a Nissan Micra - perhaps I should let him borrow my Discovery) They "Loom" over lower cars (Astonishing! - lets hope the poor dears never have to drive next to a lorry.) "They intimidate me!" (Then they must be very easily intimidated - How DO they manage when a motorhome comes near them? or a large van? etc etc.) The good news is that the Anti's lost the augument as soon as they started telling lies and making up "facts". This article proves that they are reduced to some kind of pathetic emotional blackmail.

There,s no doubt owners of "Chelsea Tractors" have had to put up with a lot of criticism over the last few years and wether this is down to political viewpoint (seen as middle class), worries concerning the environment or just plain jealousy I wouldn,t like to say, but I have never found any of this criticism directed at motorhomes or myself as a owner. The only comments I have recieved are always positive with "i,ve always wanted one of these myself" being the most popular without any hint of resentment on my choice of vehicle. When you consider pollution and the amount of space a motorhome takes up, which is at least equal that of a large 4x4, plus the extra natural resources used on the caravan side then I can only imagine its down to others perception, where they see motorhomes built for a specific purpose as apposed to 4x4s which may be seen purely as status symbols far removed from their original intended use. Of course I have concerns for the environment, but either way feel that people are entitled to spend their money any way they wish. Howard.

• 2 weeks later...
What amuses me is that NASA's website tells us that global warming is taking place on several other planets too. That means all those Little Green Men must have started driving Chelsea tractors exactly the same time we did! Alternatively, the sun is getting hotter - in which case there is nothing we can do about it. Except looking forward to growing grapes aganst Hadrian's Wall - just like the Romans did.

[QUOTE]Bill - 2006-11-04 11:33 PM What amuses me is that NASA's website tells us that global warming is taking place on several other planets too. That means all those Little Green Men must have started driving Chelsea tractors exactly the same time we did! Alternatively, the sun is getting hotter - in which case there is nothing we can do about it. Except looking forward to growing grapes aganst Hadrian's Wall - just like the Romans did.[/QUOTE] the roman villa, just outside of chichester, usd to deliver its visiting regal guests right up to the door, from the sea, betwen the door and the sea now is about 4 miles of housing estates. *-) *-)

The arguments that all we drivers use to justify what we drive are truly amazing. The FACTS (yes, FACTS, not opinion) are: 1. Planet Earth's weather is getting warmer. 2. Nobody really knows how much of this is caused by higher levels of so-called greenhouse gases, and how much by normal climatic changes and how much by the sun getting hotter (yes, it is). 3. Most people (I emphasise MOST and not ALL) buy 4x4s as a fashion statement. This fact follows from the incontrovertible observation that most so-called 4x4s are not suitable for serious, prolonged off-road use. 4. If we seriously want to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, then we would either switch to (mostly non-existent) public transport, stay at home, or buy the most efficient, smallest diesel vehicle we can. Surprising as it may seem, diesels are currently the best buy - Ireland, which still has an anti-diesel road tax policy reckons that, simply by boosting sales of diesels to the EU average of 50% would reduce the country's emisssions by 11%. 5. Even if the UK halves its emissions of greenhouse gases by 2035 (almost certainly an unachievable objective), that huge reduction would be countered by just one year's growth in emissions by China. I conclude that the Human race will not do enough, soon enough, to make any real difference to the long term trends. So buy a house above 250feet above present sea level, preferably with enough land to become self sufficient if you're a real pessimist.

There are other options open to us Mel, and one of these is to look at why we do so much driving, instead of what we drive. How many times have we seen huge volumes of traffic heading in opposite directions on their way to work. Some years back, someone had the bright idea that centralisation was the way forward with factories schools and hospitals etc, all concentrated in their own particular location, or as with many business/offices moving into city centres, transport of some kind becoming a necessity. When I first started work, the vast majority of people were able to walk to and from their place of employment with very few relying on transport,and with this in mind,I think more of our efforts should be directed to providing local jobs to local people. Not that difficult if we phase this into our future planning, and to my mind a relatively simple way to reduce further traffic/pollution issues. Howard.

Archived