Gatwick Airport sold

Bulletguy

snowie - 2018-12-27 11:35 PM

So where do GIP and Vinci pay their taxes, and how much?

Is this tax potentially lost to HMRC?

Is Gatwick essential infrastructure?

Do other countries sell this sort of business (or allow it to be sold)?

Snowie

I'm not sure Alan though if paying in UK it will no doubt be along similar lines to Google and Starbucks etc. The shareholders do pretty well out of these places and an international airport is a licence to print money really. Heathrow have 'em dropping in at the rate of two a minute during the day.

https://www.ft.com/content/1e3f2f56-09ab-11e9-9fe8-acdb36967cfc

I hope the owners have footed the bill for having police on a wild goose chase after that invisible drone!

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-27 11:24 PM

A majority holding of 50.01% in Gatwick Airport has been snapped up by a French company for £2.9 billion. Maybe it was French underground operating the invisible drone.

I'm surprised there's still anything left to flog! "Taking back control" but the rest of the world owns it! (lol)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46691846

I thought Johnny foreigner wasn't investing in the UK anymore? >:-) ...........

pelmetman - 2018-12-28 9:48 AM

A majority holding of 50.01% in Gatwick Airport has been snapped up by a French company for £2.9 billion. Maybe it was French underground operating the invisible drone.

I'm surprised there's still anything left to flog! "Taking back control" but the rest of the world owns it! (lol)

They know we will be better off without them!!

We should re nationalise the Trains, water, electric airports. ,a lot of which have been bought by the EU

That way we get back control

PJay

derek pringle - 2018-12-28 9:09 AM

Hi,

If this is the case I hope the employees at Gatwick demand the same rights as the French have if the airport was in France.

derek

As long as we remain an EU member state they would be entitled to......but a certain faction here wants to drag the UK out of the EU into "third country" status. You can't expect the benefits of 'club membership' for free Derek. :-|

They haven't.....if you read the article you'd see it's privately owned. *-)

PJay - 2018-12-28 2:02 PM

They know we will be better off without them!!

We should re nationalise the Trains, water, electric airports. ,a lot of which have been bought by the EU

That way we get back control

PJay

Just the rail network and rolling stock alone is 70% owned by European countries so that would cost billions to buy back.....money we haven't got.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/70-of-uk-rail-routes-now-owned-by-foreign-states/

No prizes for guessing who sold it all off for "get rich quick" merchants?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/982037.stm

Investing? I think just buying assets. Whether they actually invest we shall have to wait and see.

Still, I'm puzzled by Dave's attitude. He's cock-a-hoop that to much of our infrastructure is foreign owned, and equally cock-a-hoop that the UK has the 5th/6th largest economy in the world. So, if the UK is so successful economically, why have we sold so much of our critical infrastructure to foreign state entities? Why can't the UK own, and successfully operate, these items?

I don't think Branson or Railtrack have bought interests in Bundesbahn, SNCF, or Treinitalia, have they? So, in terms of taking control, how will that work?

We still have what some like to call a UK motor industry. It employs over 160,000 people and is almost wholly foreign owned. The largest UK owned producer (Aston Martin) produces about 5,000 cars per year. The names live on like ghosts, but the plants are owned and run by Chinese, Japanese, Indian, German, Malaysian and Spanish headquartered companies. So, why does it take foreigners to run and own british car factories? Odd, innit? :-D

Popular purchases are ones with iconic brand names.

In a materialistic world that’s as important as the product itself.

I believe that some uk entrepreneurs buy uk agricultural land as well as or rather than invest in their company.

Do EU entrepreneurs have a more long term view?

Snowie

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-28 6:54 PM

Investing? I think just buying assets. Whether they actually invest we shall have to wait and see.

Still, I'm puzzled by Dave's attitude. He's cock-a-hoop that to much of our infrastructure is foreign owned, and equally cock-a-hoop that the UK has the 5th/6th largest economy in the world. So, if the UK is so successful economically, why have we sold so much of our critical infrastructure to foreign state entities? Why can't the UK own, and successfully operate, these items?

I don't think Branson or Railtrack have bought interests in Bundesbahn, SNCF, or Treinitalia, have they? So, in terms of taking control, how will that work?

We still have what some like to call a UK motor industry. It employs over 160,000 people and is almost wholly foreign owned. The largest UK owned producer (Aston Martin) produces about 5,000 cars per year. The names live on like ghosts, but the plants are owned and run by Chinese, Japanese, Indian, German, Malaysian and Spanish headquartered companies. So, why does it take foreigners to run and own british car factories? Odd, innit? :-D

Gatwick is currently owned by a Nigerian ;-) ..........

https://allafrica.com/stories/201208040520.html

So it's hardly a case of the UK selling assets as it was sold years ago :-| ...........

My point is.......which you chose to ignore......... is that foreigners are STILL investing in the UK >:-) ........

Kinda goes against all that propaganda you Remoaners have been peddling :D ..........

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-12-28 8:14 PM

Do EU entrepreneurs have a more long term view?

Snowie

Yep ;-) ...........They know the UK will thrive once free of the EU shackles >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-12-29 9:10 AM...……………………..

Gatwick is currently owned by a Nigerian ;-) ..........

https://allafrica.com/stories/201208040520.html

So it's hardly a case of the UK selling assets as it was sold years ago :-| ...........

My point is.......which you chose to ignore......... is that foreigners are STILL investing in the UK >:-) ........

Kinda goes against all that propaganda you Remoaners have been peddling :D ..........

Dave, even if it was originally sold years ago, it was still sold, wasn't it?

I don't ignore your point, I think it without merit. Why?

First, the acquisition of a fixed asset is only an investment for the buyer. It is merely a change of ownership, with a view to benefitting from the profits it yields. How does it benefit you, me, or the UK as a whole?

Second, the foreign acquisition of one company with substantial fixed assets is not evidence of a trend, it is merely a single, opportunistic, event that proves nothing more than the buyer thinks he can make money from his acquisition.

In short it proves nothing regarding the UK economy, one way or the other. At times (frequently :-)) you behave like a drowning man grabbing a passing matchstick for salvation. Coffee time? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-29 12:44 PM

Second, the foreign acquisition of one company with substantial fixed assets is not evidence of a trend, it is merely a single, opportunistic, event that proves nothing more than the buyer thinks he can make money from his acquisition.

In short it proves nothing regarding the UK economy, one way or the other. At times (frequently :-)) you behave like a drowning man grabbing a passing matchstick for salvation. Coffee time? :-D

Oh the hypocrisy *-) .........

You behave like a desperate Remoaner ........all the time......If it was a story about Gatwick shedding jobs because of Brexit......... you'd be all over it like a rash (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Coffee time?........No thanks as your Remoaner mugs are always half empty *-) ...........

Bulletguy - 2018-12-28 5:41 PM

Hi,

If this is the case I hope the employees at Gatwick demand the same rights as the French have if the airport was in France.

derek

As long as we remain an EU member state they would be entitled to......but a certain faction here wants to drag the UK out of the EU into "third country" status. You can't expect the benefits of 'club membership' for free Derek. :-|

Hi,

I don't expect anything for free but the point is we do not get the same rights even as Nett Contributors.

cheers

derek pringle - 2018-12-30 11:26 AM

Hi,

derek

Hi,

I don't expect anything for free but the point is we do not get the same rights even as Nett Contributors.

cheers

What rights are those you believe we don't have that other countries do Derek? :-|

Bulletguy - 2018-12-30 3:34 PM

derek pringle - 2018-12-30 11:26 AM

Hi,

derek

Hi,

cheers

What rights are those you believe we don't have that other countries do Derek? :-|

Hi, I believe our country refused to sign up fully to the Workers Charter which gives among its protections better protection for workers under redundancy for instance. French redundancy rules and job protection go much further than our as do their pension rights...ditto for Germany i believe. cheers

derek

Archived