Going green?

Ralph

Saw an advert today for a "green" watch from Seiko. Only £225

Apparently it uses "kinetic" energy from your wrist movement to charge it and thus doesn't need battery replacement.

Isn't science wonderful? I've also heard that a team in Switzerland are working on one that uses some form of clockwork so that you can wind it up, a bit like those torches I expect. 8-)

Ralph - 2007-10-17 8:23 AM

Saw an advert today for a "green" watch from Seiko. Only £225

Apparently it uses "kinetic" energy from your wrist movement to charge it and thus doesn't need battery replacement.

Around 30 years ago my Father in Law had a watch which was self winding either from normal wrist movement or by being shaken.

Ralph - 2007-10-17 8:23 AM

Isn't science wonderful? I've also heard that a team in Switzerland are working on one that uses some form of clockwork so that you can wind it up, a bit like those torches I expect. 8-)

Maybe FiL's watch was the prototype - wish these scientists would work a bit quicker 8-)

Graham

Self-winders have indeed been around for years. 

So what’s new? Well, I guess it’s the fact that large companies like Seiko can now market them with ‘green’ credentials and appeal to the increasing environmental conscience. Probably no bad thing for all parties, but I wonder how much the ‘green’ tag is costing the consumer? 

My own solution is cheaper and more environmentally friendly. I haven’t owned a watch for about 15 years, and hope never to have to again.

I had self winding watches for years, in fact I still have one somewhere. I just never realized how "green" I was :-S

In the same magazine article that I read about the watch (CSMA) they also were raving about a device to stop you wasting money with things like computers etc. using electricity on standby. This is a remote control power switch. Only £15 and it saves you having to walk all the way over to the switch on the wall and press it. The saving in worn carpet alone will pay for the device I expect :-S :-S

I bought one of those remote control thingies from Dixons.  We have cd, tv, amp, vcr and skybox all into a plug in a hard-to-reach corner.  It was a pain to turn everything off, so I put the remote device thingy there and now one button switches them all off.  It's excellent.  I'm off to buy more.

Archived