Government Sponsored TV!

Keith T

Having watched the News in ITV lunchtime today, I happened to see the credits for the following programme - 'House Guest'. Nothing unusual in that, you may well say......

......BUT I wonder how many of us were aware that the UK Government using our hard earned money paid to them in the form of Taxes, were now sponsoring TV programmes....other than of course the BBC with the TV Tax (otherwise know as TV Licensing)?

Yes, this programme quite clearly showed on all the 'credits', "sponsored by careersadvice.direct.gov.uk "

I was always aware of the large budgets councils and govenment spend in advertising, most of which is totally unecessary, but this surely must be a first.

Any comments, and any other programmes which are similarly sponsored I wonder.

Keith T - 2008-12-01 5:16 PM

Having watched the News in ITV lunchtime today, I happened to see the credits for the following programme - 'House Guest'. Nothing unusual in that, you may well say......

......BUT I wonder how many of us were aware that the UK Government using our hard earned money paid to them in the form of Taxes, were now sponsoring TV programmes....other than of course the BBC with the TV Tax (otherwise know as TV Licensing)?

Yes, this programme quite clearly showed on all the 'credits', "sponsored by careersadvice.direct.gov.uk "

I was always aware of the large budgets councils and govenment spend in advertising, most of which is totally unecessary, but this surely must be a first.

Any comments, and any other programmes which are similarly sponsored I wonder.

I would assume that the TV companies pay to show it - or we at least get a slice of the advertising revenue from the commercial breaks ???

If that is not the case, then it should be.

:-|

Keith T - 2008-12-01 8:56 PM

Not sure how that works,but surely if a company (or govenment) sponsor somehting, they actaullypay for its producation or similar - bit like Harveys and Coronatiobn Steet,which one of the Shop Staff sair cost £3m a year!

What I am assuming ( because I don't have a definitive answer ) is that the 'govt' pay the cost of making the programme and then sell it to TV companies, which recovers the cost, and may even make a profit. (!!)

:-|

Archived