HINT OF THE DAY

Lizzy

When we stay in an Hotel I use one of the [usually provided] shower caps to wrap the flannel in before storing it in the luggage. Helps prevent everything else getting really wet! The shower cap gets dried between journeys so is useful for several trips: 2 flannels = 2 shower caps etc. ;-) See also 'rub down mitt' thread in other area [below] for further dry-me-down hints :-D

• 3 weeks later...
For those of you with sisters/neices/grand-kids ....... Article in the Daily Telegraph, Thursday 5 October 2006 : Group B Streptococcal infections kill 70-100 babies per year in the UK. A blood test can diagnose this little known bacteria. Group B Strep Support are calling for all mums in the UK to be made aware of this possibility. The new born baby appears floppy and grunts, which signifies infection. Babies are often premature. Antibiotics can be given if the blood test is positive to avoid passing the bacteria during delivery. Pass this on to all your friends - we need to protect our babies as much as possible. Liz soggy++ middle-England!

> > Take a minute to read this important info STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters... S...T...R. STROKE IDENTIFICATION: > Thank God for the sense to remember S . .T . . .R . Read and Learn! > Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. > Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions: > S * Ask the individual to SMILE. T * Ask the person to TALK, to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE > (Coherently) (i.e. . .. "It is sunny out today") > R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS. > NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999 immediately !! and describe the symptoms .

Hi Lizzy. A few years back I took a course with the St. Johns Ambulance. This was just the basic stuff but gives me the confidence to deal with minor injurys until more qualified help is available. Among the things we were taught was the importance of writing down a brief account of the accident, the time and treatment given and any medication applied. This is then attached to the patient so those giving further treatment have some idea of what they are dealing with. Learner drivers will not thank me for this, but I have always thought that basic first aid should be part of the test and carrying a first aid kit should be compulsory. Howard.

I'm so worried that I would forget what I was told when an emergency happens! I think drivers have to carry a First Aid kit on the Continent and probably do a basic first aiders course also????? I think it would be a good idea for all 11-12 year olds to be in Casualty from Friday 6.00 p.m. until Monday 9.00 a.m. - might make them think a bit before they drink/drive/race/speed ...........

[QUOTE]howardtcz - 2006-10-11 6:50 PM 
 Learner drivers will not thank me for this, but I have always thought that basic first aid should be part of the test and carrying a first aid kit should be compulsory. Howard.[/QUOTE]

Some of the best advice I've heard in years!  I also think that "all" drivers should have 5 yearly refreshers on defensive driving, first aid (as you say), driving slow/heavy vehicles, procedures in an accident etc.  And we should have to pay ourselves.  I'll now duck!

A school in Devon or Dorset - can't remember it was in the late 70s - allowed their kids to drive on private land from the age of 11. They did mechanics too. Followed up later, non of those children had accidents in the 17-25 age group - they had got their speeding out of their system or didn't need to show off because driving was 2nd nature. As an orthopaedic secretary I saw lots of things that would stop youngsters in their tracks if they thought it could happen to them. I suggested it to a Police man who didn't think it would be allowed on 'moral and ethical grounds' ......... although he would have been prepared to attend A&E with the youngsters ..........

Archived