Hanging in there until I get the vaccine

StuartO

We've mostly been shielding at home living on food dliveries since February and despite the appearance of the Oxford/Astra Zenica vaccine, it might still be a couple of months before we get our first doses of vaccine and it now looks as though we'll then have to wait another 12 weeks (almost 3 months) for the second dose and the confidence to get about more. So we're still in siege mode, coping with the isolation, not least because Tier 4 obliges us to Stay at Home unless we need to go out for food or exercise, which we don't.

But since February, despite our isolation, I have experienced snuffly or catarrhal episodes and even the occasional brief cough; milder and of shorter duration than in a "normal" year but viruses are getting to me somehow. I suppose they are travelling on the wind and I'm catching them while I'm outside in the garden but it does puzzle me how they are managing to infect me. We haven't been spending much time in the garden in recent months. Perhaps the shorter duration and milder nature of my sniffly episodes this year reflects a lower viral load that I'm picking up. Nevertheless I am undoubtedly contracting the occasional viral infection of some sort or other, so complying with covid-safe proceedures doesn't seem to work for all viruses - and the COVID-19 new variant is said to be even more infectious and transmissable than the original.

I wouldn't claim that my experiences amount to any sort of scientific study but they do suggest to me that scrupulous adherence to the Government guidance (mask, safe distance and frequent hand washing) really is absolutely necessary until you've had the vaccine.

StuartO - 2020-12-31 11:38 AM

scrupulous adherence to the Government guidance (mask, safe distance and frequent hand washing) really is absolutely necessary until you've had the vaccine.

I thought you said you had done that and it hasn't worked?

Seems to have affected your brain too :-S

The most effective vaccine developed and produced by Muslim Turkish Immigrants in the EU.

If only they were in charge of its distribution too :-(

But since we have to rely on BoJo's Government for that ....

I'm not putting my life on hold till then :-S

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear to you. You need to minimise the viral load you receive, even if you can’t rely on avoiding contact with virus in airborne particles altogether. As the highly infective new variant reaches you, which now seems inevitable, everyone who is vulnerable, including because of age, really does need to take special care during the coming weeks.

Among the people who will die unnecessarily during the next few months will be those who are unwilling to put their life on hold. Your choice.

Which raises the apparently unanswerable (at least at present) question as to whether (having had the injection and so being (we hope!) immunised against Covid), if one is subsequently exposed to the virus, one might still pass it on to others?

As an aside, re the snuffles, might this not just be the effect of staying indoors for extended periods. The odd sunbeam reveals that a lot of dust circulates freely indoors, from carpets, fabrics. clothing, soft furnishings etc, not to mention the odd house dust mite and its droppings plus human skin particles. Possibly just a reaction to all that, rather than wandering viruses?

I won’t subject you to the unsavoury clinical detail but I did consider an allergic explanation and that wasn’t always plausible. I am confident that at least some of what I have experienced was definitely down to infection which I must have contracted despite shielding.

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-31 12:20 PM

Which raises the apparently unanswerable (at least at present) question as to whether (having had the injection and so being (we hope!) immunised against Covid), if one is subsequently exposed to the virus, one might still pass it on to others?

As an aside, re the snuffles, might this not just be the effect of staying indoors for extended periods. The odd sunbeam reveals that a lot of dust circulates freely indoors, from carpets, fabrics. clothing, soft furnishings etc, not to mention the odd house dust mite and its droppings plus human skin particles. Possibly just a reaction to all that, rather than wandering viruses?

Good point

Only time I'm coughing is when I have just put a mask on :$

They seem to attract fluff in my bag or pocket

When I take them out of the tumble dryer the fluff is stuck to them like a magnet

I find the disposable ones no better .

I have had to slip them half down and breathe through my nose to stop the coughing

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-12-31 11:38 AM

We've mostly been shielding at home living on food dliveries since February and despite the appearance of the Oxford/Astra Zenica vaccine, it might still be a couple of months before we get our first doses of vaccine and it now looks as though we'll then have to wait another 12 weeks (almost 3 months) for the second dose and the confidence to get about more. So we're still in siege mode, coping with the isolation, not least because Tier 4 obliges us to Stay at Home unless we need to go out for food or exercise, which we don't.

But since February, despite our isolation, I have experienced snuffly or catarrhal episodes and even the occasional brief cough; milder and of shorter duration than in a "normal" year but viruses are getting to me somehow. I suppose they are travelling on the wind and I'm catching them while I'm outside in the garden but it does puzzle me how they are managing to infect me. We haven't been spending much time in the garden in recent months. Perhaps the shorter duration and milder nature of my sniffly episodes this year reflects a lower viral load that I'm picking up. Nevertheless I am undoubtedly contracting the occasional viral infection of some sort or other, so complying with covid-safe proceedures doesn't seem to work for all viruses - and the COVID-19 new variant is said to be even more infectious and transmissable than the original.

I wouldn't claim that my experiences amount to any sort of scientific study but they do suggest to me that scrupulous adherence to the Government guidance (mask, safe distance and frequent hand washing) really is absolutely necessary until you've had the vaccine.

I'm counting my blessings that I live in the UK and not the EU 8-) ........

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9100795/EU-bureaucracy-accused-costing-lives-slow-Oxford-vaccine-approval.html

pelmetman - 2020-12-31 2:43 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9100795/EU-bureaucracy-accused-costing-lives-slow-Oxford-vaccine-approval.html

From that story.

He added that pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca, which developed the vaccine with Oxford University, has still not submitted a formal application for its £3-a-dose jab to be approved.

Mr Wathion told Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad the EMA was ‘in the dark’ about what kind of data was being used for Britain to approve the use of the Oxford vaccine.

That is quite worrying, also .gov.uk has unilaterally decided to change the dosing regime's, this is against the manufacturers advice as to how effective a single dose might be, and how far apart the doses must be administered.

colin - 2020-12-31 3:37 PM

From that story.

He added that pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca, which developed the vaccine with Oxford University, has still not submitted a formal application for its £3-a-dose jab to be approved.

Mr Wathion told Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad the EMA was ‘in the dark’ about what kind of data was being used for Britain to approve the use of the Oxford vaccine.

That is quite worrying, also .gov.uk has unilaterally decided to change the dosing regime's, this is against the manufacturers advice as to how effective a single dose might be, and how far apart the doses must be administered.

Pelmet wouldn't have read that far down.....just seeing the header was enough to feed into his anti-EU narrative! :-|

He got that excited about it.....he made another thread on it!! *-)

Guest pelmetman

From that story.

Also from the same article ;-) ...........

"But the glacial pace at which the EMA operates, which involves consulting experts in all 27 member states, has frustrated several governments."

They prolly haven't opened their mail yet *-) ........

From that story.

Well, I suppose that Mr Wathion could always have picked up a 'phone and asked, so maybe the German charge of bureaucracy has some merit. I agree that the Government apparently departing from the recommended dosing procedure for the vaccine without consulting either the UK agency of the manufacturer is disconcerting. Cock-up?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2020-12-31 5:05 PM

From that story.

Well, I suppose that Mr Wathion could always have picked up a 'phone and asked, so maybe the German charge of bureaucracy has some merit. I agree that the Government apparently departing from the recommended dosing procedure for the vaccine without consulting either the UK agency of the manufacturer is disconcerting. Cock-up?

Careful Brian you'll have Bullet frothing at the mouth (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Seems to me our MHRA were proactive in speeding up approval of the EU vaccine B-) .........

Where as the EMA appear to be happy to sit on their a*ses twiddling their thumbs in a Pandemic *-) ........

I'm glad I'm not living in the EU >:-) .........

Some of you appear to have the "Take news stories as Gospel" virus.

My Daughter and front line Staff, plus the older Nurses working in general healthcare have all had the first vaccination.

Stuart ... dry air from central heating can cause many allergies and minor problems. A good 2 hour walk in fresh air works for us every morning. Plus, we have bowls of water down for the dogs, these help to stop the air drying out too much.

If you are suffering from minor nasal congestion or 'stuffiness' then use one of the many treatments available. Mental attitude (being generally cheerful) helps too. I just think of bulletguy and joke52, which makes me realise how lucky I am not to be like them and it cheers me up immensely. :D

747 - 2021-01-01 9:14 AM

My Daughter and front line Staff, plus the older Nurses working in general healthcare have all had the first vaccination.

Stuart ... dry air from central heating can cause many allergies and minor problems. A good 2 hour walk in fresh air works for us every morning. Plus, we have bowls of water down for the dogs, these help to stop the air drying out too much.

If you are suffering from minor nasal congestion or 'stuffiness' then use one of the many treatments available. Mental attitude (being generally cheerful) helps too. I just think of bulletguy and joke52, which makes me realise how lucky I am not to be like them and it cheers me up immensely. :D

Luckily i’ve had the anti-Gospel virus jab.

However that does’nt mean the story is not true.

Your daughter may know a couple of people who have had the CV vaccination ,but then not all have had it yet.

pelmetman - 2020-12-31 8:58 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-31 5:05 PM

From that story.

Careful Brian you'll have Bullet frothing at the mouth (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Seems to me our MHRA were proactive in speeding up approval of the EU vaccine B-) .........

How many times has this had to be spelt out for you? UK used EU laws which allow member states emergency procedures and this has been explained time and time again to you.

Dr June Raine (Regulator, MHRA) - “We’ve been able to authorise supply of this vaccine using provisions under European law which exist until January 1st.”

We all know of your rabid anti-EU views but quite frankly attempting to spin this as a UK success just makes you look an idiot when everyone knows you're distorting the facts. Just the same as you tried doing with this thread as Colin made you aware yesterday you clearly hadn't read your own link, as is usual with you.

Indeed, thinking of the life which John52 and Bulletguy must lead does serve to remind you that your own glass is at least half full. Nevertheless with this, my first post of 2021 I’d like to concentrate on wishing everyone a Happy and Virus-free New Year, even those with the thickest of skins and the most disgusting personal hygiene habits!

StuartO - 2021-01-01 11:54 AM

Indeed, thinking of the life which John52 and Bulletguy must lead does serve to remind you that your own glass is at least half full. Nevertheless with this, my first post of 2021 I’d like to concentrate on wishing everyone a Happy and Virus-free New Year, even those with the thickest of skins and the most disgusting personal hygiene habits!

I am surprised you can't see the risk of virus transmission in a shared toilet,

compared to a sterile and immediately sealed plastic bag in a personal camping toilet.

(or how your change of lifestyle could have brought on your symptoms)

Were you really a Doctor 8-)

jumpstart - 2021-01-01 9:31 AM

Your daughter may know a couple of people who have had the CV vaccination ,but then not all have had it yet.

I am talking about a lot of Staff at a major regional Hospital, my Daughter being one of them. It is increasingly necessary to do this. My Daughter normally works in the Operating Theatre but has also worked many shifts on the Covid Wards in the first bad outbreak. This time around there is better organisation and it is just normally her days off that she works 12 or 13 hour shifts on the one Covid Ward running at the moment. Just lately they have had 30 and 40 year old Covid patients who were not expected to survive, that is why there has been a big push to vaccinate as many as possible because the goalposts have changed recently.

John52 - 2021-01-01 12:17 PM

StuartO - 2021-01-01 11:54 AM

I am surprised you can't see the risk of virus transmission in a shared toilet,

compared to a sterile and immediately sealed plastic bag in a personal camping toilet.

(or how your change of lifestyle could have brought on your symptoms)

Were you really a Doctor 8-)

How reassuring that you are still performing to type John52. I wish you a Happy New Year and look forward to reading enlightening posts from you in 2021, assuming that something along those lines finally starts happening. :-D

747 - 2021-01-01 12:55 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-01 9:31 AM

I am talking about a lot of Staff at a major regional Hospital, my Daughter being one of them. It is increasingly necessary to do this. My Daughter normally works in the Operating Theatre but has also worked many shifts on the Covid Wards in the first bad outbreak. This time around there is better organisation and it is just normally her days off that she works 12 or 13 hour shifts on the one Covid Ward running at the moment. Just lately they have had 30 and 40 year old Covid patients who were not expected to survive, that is why there has been a big push to vaccinate as many as possible because the goalposts have changed recently.

NHS staff should absolutely be first but there is much in the system to improve.

Daily Mail: Retired doctor slams 'bureaucratic' chaos clogging UK's mass-vaccination rollout.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9104401/Retired-doctor-slams-bureaucratic-chaos-clogging-UKs-mass-vaccination-rollout.html

Bulletguy - 2021-01-01 2:42 PM

Listening to an elderly lady speaking on the radio earlier about the vaccine. She wants the Oxford one. When asked why she replied, "because it's English". *-)

She was talking about how they where restricted due to CV-19 and staying inside etc. then went on to say they would be going to nephews for lunch and seeing the kids, I hope they are in the same support bubble.

But it strikes me some people are worried about catching CV-19 off strangers whilst out and about, but seem to consider family as safe, our nabour gets regular visits from her daughters and sons family's, considering the local schools where rife with it before Christmas that's a hell of a risk.

Archived