Have we turned a corner?

CurtainRaiser

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-17 10:07 AM

When an area that voted 60% in favour of Brexit elects a pro rejoin MP?

Or is it just a reaction to the Downing Street parties that never happened?

Or to the corruption that their previous MP had indulged in?

Are the electorate just tired of Johnson or of the Conservative Party itself?

Brexit is irrelevant. I doubt if many of the voters were aware of the fact that the Lib Dem candidate was a ' pro rejoiner '

( Hopefully she didn't mention it in her campaign ).

I think the result is a reaction to dishonesty, sleaze and incompetence of the Tory cabinet - but it's likely we will all have to get used to that and accept it as normal for another three years.

:-D

I think it is a combination of the factors I listed, but Brexit still played a hand.

The area is dependent on the agricultural sector and that has been hit particularly hard by Brexit. If you ever listen to Farming Today on R4 on a morning you will hear a lot of Brexit supporting farmers complaining how they have been sold down the river.

The latest agreed Australian Trade deal is not going down well, neither is the culling of 120,000 pigs for landfill.

https://www.farminguk.com/news/uk-australia-trade-deal-of-little-benefit-to-farmers-nfu-warns_59546.html

https://www.farminguk.com/news/brexit-threats-continue-to-outweigh-opportunities-nfus-warns_59535.html

Even the Brexpress is covering it, mind the comments are hilarious - I think Pelmet has found a new home.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1536516/farming-news-crisis-food-supplies-threat-visas-boris-johnson#conversation-wrapper

You're both right.

It's my neighbouring county and there's serious money floating around there with lots of big farms, mansions and landed gentry (my pro-Brexit Tory MP lives there in his Grade 1 stately mansion).

It's been a Tory safe seat for almost 200 years and the 34% swing to LibDems who overturned the Tory majority of 23,000 is a heck of a lot more than a massive win. It's sent a message to Johnson that his clowning around and partying is over. As Malc said, they've had enough of Tory cabinet corruption, dishonesty and incompetence. Folk have had enough of Johnsons nonsense along with the idiots he chose to surround himself with.

The Brexit backing farming community realise now they've been conned but five years back they flippantly dismissed the warnings as Project Fear........but now it's Project Here and they're crying. There were a few farmers who voted Remain and it's them I sympathise with as they've been dragged down by the idiots who five years ago were laughing in their faces......not unlike the way Tory lockdown party-ers who have been laughing at the public, many of whom lost loved ones with Covid unable to be with them in their final days.

Johnsons days are numbered now anyway but it's not just him that needs to go......we need the entire lot out and rid of as this has been the most toxic vile government i've witnessed which has done such serious damage to the country, it will take years to rebuild.

A few back benchers talking about Johnson having two strikes and a third one and he's out. Surely he must have had more than two already! It beggars belief that they dont want him out right now! It was sickening to watch one of them on BBC a while ago saying what a great job he had done of handling the pandemic! Even more sickening that the BBC presenter didnt take him apart on that one. 170000 dead! FFS! *-)

I would love to think the country has turned a corner but I wont hold my breath. The pressure needs to be kept up though as if its not its likely all this will be forgotten about by January. That said, Johnson cant help himself. He is bound to drop another bollock by then.

Barryd999 - 2021-12-17 1:12 PM

t was sickening to watch one of them on BBC a while ago saying what a great job he had done of handling the pandemic! Even more sickening that the BBC presenter didnt take him apart on that one. 170000 dead! FFS! *-)

Johnson is blaming the media that exposed his corruption. That is the media that he hasn't already neutered like the BBC, I suspect he will be having a go at the rest of the media.

Then he did what he always does these days. Ignore the question, change the subject to the vaccine rollout, and claim credit for it.

The Tory candidate was asked 4 times if Boris Johnson was a man of honesty and integrity. We know he isn't, but now we know the Tory candidate isn't either because he wouldn't answer. What I find most astonishing is that 12,000 still voted for him. They would vote for a Tu*d in a blue rosette. And shows why Johnson was able to bully his MPs into voting for sleaze by threatening them with removing them from the party..

I fear the country will be ruined before it sinks into the pelmetheads that they have been had.

BBC Radio4, the World at One today. Johhny Diamond interviews Tim Montgomerie from "Conservative Home". (My transcript, but it's around 43 minutes in, if you want to listen for yourselves.) It just struck a chord, especially the last seven words.

Diamond.

"Tim, what about 2 years ago, that astonishing victory that did appear to redraw the boundary map – was all that down to Brexit on the one hand, and perhaps a dislike in some quarters of Jeremy Corbyn on the other?"

Montgomerie.

"I think there were lots of individual factors. But I think what we have neglected as a political class is perhaps it’s the volatility that’s the big thing, rather than specific events. I’m a Eurosceptic. I wanted Brexit to happen, I believe in leaving the EU.

But a lot of people voted for Brexit because they wanted change: they wanted something different from their lives. They voted for Jeremy Corbyn in large umbers for the same reason, they voted for Trump for the same reason. Now they’re voting Liberal Democrat, and I think that is the key thing: that perhaps the Conservatives over-read the advantage for them of what happened two years ago, when actually it’s managing volatility and delivering the change that lots of people want that is the big issue.

And that’s why I’m gloomy. Because whether it’s the levelling up agenda, or other supposed flag-ships of this government, there’s not a lot of “there” there."

Yes Tim, I think that's exactly what a lot of us were trying to tell you at the time, but would you listen? There never was a lot of "there" there! Remember "Brexit means Brexit"? You silly, silly, boy!! (lol) (lol) (lol)

John52 - 2021-12-17 2:38 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-12-17 1:12 PM

t was sickening to watch one of them on BBC a while ago saying what a great job he had done of handling the pandemic! Even more sickening that the BBC presenter didnt take him apart on that one. 170000 dead! FFS! *-)

Johnson is blaming the media that exposed his corruption. That is the media that he hasn't already neutered like the BBC, I suspect he will be having a go at the rest of the media.

Then he did what he always does these days. Ignore the question, change the subject to the vaccine rollout, and claim credit for it.

The Tory candidate was asked 4 times if Boris Johnson was a man of honesty and integrity. We know he isn't, but now we know the Tory candidate isn't either because he wouldn't answer. What I find most astonishing is that 12,000 still voted for him. They would vote for a Tu*d in a blue rosette. And shows why Johnson was able to bully his MPs into voting for sleaze by threatening them with removing them from the party..

I fear the country will be ruined before it sinks into the pelmetheads that they have been had.

Yep. He needs to worry when he is getting Skewered by his own side, Fraser Nelson

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/can-boris-really-blame-the-press-for-his-defeat-

Its been a truly delicious day though.

Reminds me of the 1981 Norway vs England match. (lol)

1240468660_Johnsonbubbleburst(Custom)(Custom)(1).jpg.323fa50bf6ec628cb2654b1645b33955.jpg

We do not seem to turn corners in the UK - abrupt whimsical about turns are more our scene - and it would take a brave person to predict the next general election result.

Maybe the Official Monster Raving Looney Party could do a better job - oops sorry we already have the duplicate MRLP and it's scruffy leader presiding over the mismanagement of the country.

Maybe the Queen and the Royal Family should rescind parliament and take charge?

Brian Kirby - 2021-12-17 4:06 PM

Yes Tim, I think that's exactly what a lot of us were trying to tell you at the time, but would you listen? There never was a lot of "there" there! Remember "Brexit means Brexit"? You silly, silly, boy!! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Did anyone ever work out quite what that was supposed to mean? :-S

Tracker - 2021-12-17 5:13 PM

Maybe the Queen and the Royal Family should rescind parliament and take charge?

She doesn't interfere as long as things keep going her way.

Johnson has just bought her a new yacht, the police prevented the Americans serving Court papers on Her 'Trade Envoy' Son, and are barred from searching her estates https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/25/revealed-police-barred-from-searching-queens-estates-for-looted-artefacts

So I guess she has got all she wants?

Archived