Heating Bills

howie

Hiya. I,m trying to find information re. gas and electric where I believe a set price of around £600 p.a. for o.a.p.s is applicable regardless of what you use. I,ve tried a few sites without any success and i,m hoping someone out there might know of a website I could follow up on. Howard.

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-11-21 7:23 PM Howard, By that I take it you mean that this is the top limit you would like to pay per year yes? or am I completely off track here/ :-([/QUOTE]Completely off track as usual Michele, but I do have a lead. I,m not sure if this is the scheme I mentioned earlier as I presumed it would be goverment sponsored and this is on offer from Powergen ( www.staywarm.co.uk ). The whole idea is that you pay a fixed monthly d.d. which is agreed between you and powergen, ( £600 p.a. was the figure given when I first heard of this scheme but this will vary I should imagine). This entitles you to use as much gas and electricity as you need over a twelve month period although there must be restrictions that would apply within that timescale. I think our present gas/elec. bills run to about £900 pa which in theory would give us a £300 saving, plus there would be no need to skimp on the heating during really cold weather. The terms look pretty straightforward as long as you switch your account from your present supplier to Powergen although this may be a little optimistic. I,ll try and get on the phone for more details this week, but if you come across any more info. on this subject then let us know and i,ll be your friend for life, or until our next argument anyway. Howard.

Hi Voh. I,ve just sent off an e.mail to Staywarm giving our requirements and we should have a reply in the next day or two. Until then its only educated guesses i,m afraid. I should,nt imagine your winter heating allowance would be affected as this is a goverment initiative for oap,s although this may not be the case if this is a joint Powergen/goverment scheme. As I said, just guessing at the moment. To good to be true ?. Possibly. But from what i,ve been told there are substantial savings to be made and worth investigating further with the obvious benifits of cheaper supplies and not worrying about how much gas/elec.you use. I,ll try and let you know more when Staywarm get back to us. Howard.

Writers block at the moment Mel. Being born the strong silent type ain,t easy you know and i,ve often thought my lack of communication has held me back in the past but i,m determined to try and give myself more free expression in the future. I,m tempted to reply in kind to your remarks, but the shock of talking to an educated and well bred lady like Dottie has convinced me that politeness is the way forward. Now back to the original thread if you don,t mind. Nothing to report at the moment as the reply to my first e. mail came back with some sort of error correction attached to it whatever that means, so iv,e sent another and hopefully i,ll have more success this time. Howard.

Howard,

Have you tried USwitch?  You enter you annual gas/ electricity consumption (you'll need a full years old bills for each), and decide how you want to pay, and get back a series of suggested price ranges for the various suppliers.  Free on the net, and you can play with the options for hours!

Thank you for the web site Brian which as you say certainly gives you plenty of options. The latest from "Staywarm" is that we do not meet their given criteria, which sounds like business speak for not enough profit to make it worth their while, although I plan to write to them for a more detailed explanation. Another possible hitch i,ve discovered is that we are tied to a agreement with our current supplier, Scottish Power, for the next 12 months. This is a 2 year agreement which caps the price over that period, but without the unlimited use that Staywarm offers. In the meantime I shall keep plugging away to find the best deal for our particular needs. Howard.

Archived