Hello from Greece.

Hymer C 9.

Arrived at our first site in Patras about 13 miles from the Port, the site is set in a old Olive Grove overlooking the sea with the blossom on the Orange and Lemon trees the perfume drifting around the site is beautiful, Ed and I are having a day chilling after the journey we have travelled through France/Belgium/Luxemburg/Germany/Switzerland/Italy and across to Greece, I can not believe how lucky we have been with the weather we have had sunshine all the way and with it being Easter no lorries on the roads Sunday/Monday so made the journey a lot pleasanter, the group we are travelling with are great company last night we all ate in the taverna under a 600 year old olive tree, with the beach below us.

We will stay here a few days before making our way down the Peloponnese.

Have had a read through the threads to see what you have all been up to , Janine loved your Easter Rabbits :-) Carol.

Sounds idyllic Carol, and paints a completely different picture to what we are getting here. Torrential downpours, driven by cold winds are the order of the day. I know you've put a lot of work and planning into this trip, so enjoy every minute of it and try to post some piccies just to cheer the rest of us up.

We have had five days down the tip of the Peloponnese at Gythio a quaint town, with lots of tavernas and atmosphere, from there we visited, MONEMVASIA, which is a little island got to by a causeway the day we visited the weather was just right not to hot or cold although how people work there I don't know, the only way we could see things moved around was by wheelbarrow, up windy cobbled streets. I will have a go at putting some photo's on. At the moment we are parked at Mikines not far from Athens, the weather is very wet today so I am catching up on some odd jobs around the van, tomorrow Saturday we are having a guided tour of the City and the weather promises to be better, fingers crossed. Carol.

P1010551.JPG.6520051cef2e0a6b9017da2e1e1c6666.JPG

P1010557(1).JPG.1ab35bdf2d8f2f78b59791726f7ae4f0.JPG

P1010579(1).JPG.fddf26b7f1cf59bf8f419784c26feb4b.JPG

P1010605(1).JPG.eab9ce2b193dbbac4020110611ae3f85.JPG

P1010670(1).JPG.748fd7ae393608af756945a325a0b702.JPG

Guest JudgeMental

you lucky things.....keep the information flowing!

I thought you had been intending to start as wardens on a campsite again by now, was it France or Spain?.

I look forward to the Peloponese, and may even try it next summer as Just back from Goa and we survived that lol temps were nearly 40 deg C *-)

howie - 2009-04-23 10:55 PM

Octopussy Magaret and do try to use the plural next time. Nice piccies Carol, but how about one of you in a skimpy bikini (not topless please) just to cheer us up. ;-)

NOT Magaret howie Margaret do try to get it right next time!! :-D ;-)

Carol knew what I meant didnt you Carol?? I thought octopussy was something completely different!! >:-)

I do apologise Margaret. Really was unforgivable to misspell your name and promise it won't happen again. :$ . Seems I should also say sorry for suggesting the plural you should have used would be 'octopussy'. This of course is the title of the 1983 James Bond film and the correct terminology should have been Octopuses, Octopi or Octopodes.

All very interesting, but like you I am not entirely sure that those are Octopi hanging out to dry, and they do seem to be short of a tentacle or two don't they.

Perhaps Carol can help here, but in the meantime i've included a more detailed picture that gives a better comparison between the two pictures. x

800px-Drying_octopus.jpg.373f131ad887a6c271ce452e0a4566ca.jpg

No, and I think Pauline's got this one right Jan. Just had a quick look and Kalamri/calamari is indeed a type of squid, but what's interesting is that 'while the tentacles are edible only the best are used' which might explain why the ones in Carol's picture are short of a leg or two. Learn something new everyday don't we. *-)

Sorry about those previous comments Carol. Common as muck some folk, with no appreciation for the finer things in life and lets hope the size of my balls does'nt detract any further from this really enjoyable holiday thread.

I,ve taken the the liberty of trying to follow your progress by using googly pictures, and while I appreciate your time should be spent enjoying your holiday perhaps you could include more details of you routes and the places you pass through.

This will not only give us a better idea of how you are progressing, but (if you don't mind) will also give me a chance to add some more photos to go with the lovely one's you've already posted.

Take care and enjoy yourselves. x

patras.jpg.c8518b6cfc42f28ca026b70bdf160fb0.jpg

monevasia.jpg.9f722d907d0a4376ef6de87d66da3857.jpg

mikines.jpg.44d08d748d53e8da5daf131ea3d540cb.jpg

Archived