Help Hard Drive

Hymer C 9.

Hello Carol, any PC supplies place, small or large, Ebay, (if you use it), will have external hard drives for sale.

See link for an example of a posh portable one

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1293412320.1220425464@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccekadefdehlddjcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-32891&show_all=true

You don't need to pay that much though, just match your needs, i.e size, portability.

Hope this helps

Martyn

Hi Carol. I ordered an external hard drive off Amazon yesterday to backup my hard drive after a friend had his hard drive wiped by a power surge!

We discussed on a thread on SZ yesterday.There are different makes/sizes/capacities/prices. Some are powered by your computer, some you have to plug in to the mains.

You also need a USB 2.0 port for most of them, but as your laptop is new that shouldn't be an issue.

Western Digital have configured theirs so that certain file types cannot be stored on them - see this link

Hope this helps. I went for this one - link to Amazon

Have been looking around the sites recommended then Martyn Lewis weekly new letter came today so I put in hard drive and at the moment after looking at the sites have come up with a - WESTERN DIGITAL ELMENTS 500 GB USB2.0/7200 which is from Amazon Price £52.57 does this sound OK and will it be alright for my Lap top, as you can tell I still have a way to go in this computer world. Carol.

Janine, don't be taken in by that Bob ... you saw how fickle he was on the other thread .. ;-)

Carol, or someone, is a spare hard drive the same size as the computer hard drive or is it only little ... Thinking how much room is needed to house it in a motor home. Or is it like a back up thingy (forgotten technical name - the one same size as a packet of cigarettes for example)

Ooooooh! on someone else's computer..... all the smilies move!!! Why don't mine do that? *-) :$

Ahhh... I'm on Mozilla now not IE, but from memory go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, scroll down to Multimedia then tick Play Animations in Webpages. Then close down and restart your Internet Explorer.

The page may have widened if someone's put a large picture or website link in their reply.

Any computer whizz's out there in cyber space ?

My computer was/is painfully slow to log on. When I checked how much physical memory I had left, it showed 42.95 mb out of 256 mb.

I deleted all the old, unused stuff and have bought an external hard drive from Maplin. Having just transferred documents, photos, etc to the new drive, I checked how much physical memory I have freed up.

The answer is even less ! I now have 25.42 mb. Help please !!

Confused of Horsham.

Ye God's Janine ! That was a speedy response !

There was no software supplied with the new hard drive. I just did a right click on the items I wanted to transfer and sent them across.

I then deleted the originals from the main computer...wot fink ?

Thanks anyway Janine. The important stuff is also on a stick...belt & braces.

I checked that the items transferred across before I deleted them.

There's a shop in town where the owner will do a home visit and give the computer a health check. I'll give him ring and make an appointment when I get back from my trip.

Archived