Help on Scotland tour.

Hymer C 9.

Any one have any ideas we are off on our tour of the West Coast of Scotland shortly starting off at Halt Whistle Nr Carlisle and slowly working our way up past the Mull of Kintyre, we are in the CCC & CC & MCC so should have a good selection of sites to go for, but would also like to do some wild camping if we come across the right places any recommendation's of places to visit things to see or good sites you have come across we would glad of any information. many thanks Carol.

Colin, will probably have about 5 weeks the furthest we will probably get is Arisaiag, with written down on the list Galloway, Lock Lomond, Fort William, Oban, 2 years ago we did the east coast and hope we are going early enough to miss the midges on the west coast. thanks Carol.

Guest peter

Hi, Carol.

If you're going to Galloway try the C/L belonging to the Cardoness Estate. It's about £8 a night and includes Electric and Water. The Estate is just down the road from the C/L and you have the full use of all their facilities. Including free Fly Fishing for trout in a well stocked lake. I hooked quite a few and managed to land two of about 2Lbs each, which paid for the camp fees in one go. You also have access to the private beach, which is wonderful, with a nice walks. I thoroughly reccomend this site. Another C/L we found was Greenloch House on the road to Stranraer.which is located almost on an Island in a Loch. Really lovely aspect and verry friendly people. A first class well kept site. Who needs all the crowds with C/L's like these. If you're going to Loch Lomond the Luss site is right on the bank. and there is a great pub down the road with good home cooked food a reasonable prices. Enjoy your trip.

Hi Carol, So pleased to see you are taking a tour of the West Coast of

Scotland, The first trip we made was in the Middle of May to second week in June, We were lucky there were no midges then, also, The weather was very kind to us, We stayed overnight at Carlisle.as we had travelled from the south, with friends who had quite young children,We went to

Rannoch moor and then to Glencoe, it was wonderful there, but, onlystayed 1 night as it wasn,t that suitable for young children, so, decided

on Fort William, We found a lovely Park there At Loch Linnhie and were able to park up just a few yards from the beach, Magic, with an ever changing view of Ben Nevis, If you can I would recommend the train trip to

Mallaig from Fort William Vehicles are quite safe left in the station car park

From mallaig you can either take a boat trip to the Kyle of Lochaish or a

ferry to Isle of Skye for a day with a coach trip round Skye, lovely views

where ever you go, Also one of our favourites was the trip to Ullapool by car,We stopped for refreshments at a lovely Cabin at Inch waterfalls on the way back,Yummy food there, We also went to Oban for a few days the site needed some updating but, there was a super clubhouse there with Scottish dancing, All the men in their kilts, My friend and i didn,t know where to look first *-) Everyone was singing and it was a great evening. I am sure you would enjoy it. We then decided to spend sometime at a Park at Beauly aout 5 miles from Inverness, I will tell you of our trip to Castle Douglas and gretna Green another time if you like . Well worth visiting too Hope i haven,t bored you I know you will have a lovely time.

heers Ria.

Here's the 'barebones' of how I would proboly do it based on trips I've made to area.

Ardrossan-Ferry to Arran-Ferry to Kintyre-Oban-North Ballachullish-Ferry to Argour-Loch Sunnart(option to point of ardnamurchan-most westerly mainland if you want to tick that box)-Arisaig-Fort William-Loch Lommand.

Depends how fast/slow you travel, but a trip to Islay, Jura or Mull on the side is worthwhile but may find it a bit tight on time to do them justice.

Ria, thank you for all that information makes me keen to get going, I am printing all the information I receive, then we have all the information we gather with us.

Peter, really hope there are not to many midges, they eat Ed and it put us off a bit, but we have bought plenty of Avon midge stuff and sprays and if we are lucky and see none all the better. thanks Carol.

Dumfries and Galloway ( the area ) is lovely. Dumfries town is not and that's putting it politely.

It's certainly worth the trip to the Mull of Galloway lighthouse. Logan Botanic garden is nearby. The small coastal village of Port Patrick is attractive.

The A 712 between Newton Stewart and New Galloway is a nice road to drive- views, forests, walks etc. Some nice bike rides too.

If you drive the A762 and the A713 either side of Loch Ken you might be lucky to see red kites.

Depending when you go, Threave Garden ( NTS ) near Castle Douglas is lovely.

We have been travelling the Highlands in excess of 30 years and can safely say there are not many roads that we haven't been on. There are plenty of wild camping spots that are nicely tucked away, out of sight.

Wherever you go you will see wonderful scenery. If you want any info. PM me and perhaps we can chat.

C.O.

hello, may I suggest when you get to the end of the Loch Lomond side take a right into Killin it is a beautiful little village (aprox 10 mile from Crianlarich train station ) and there are camp sites also the pub on the right as you go over the bridge used to serve fantastic food,have a wonderful time, Tynedrum is fair, also has a site and a wide variety of whisky, have fun. Brenda & Basil ps good fishing also

Thank you to everyone for the helpful information I have printed it all off , really looking forward to some good sight-seeing, walking and cycling, hope to come back a bit fitter, if my 3 dongle , and bt fon work will let you know how we get on, many thanks Carol.

Archived