Help with finding a specific type of motorhome

Mel Sea

Does anyone know of a motorhome make, either new or secondhand, which is both an automatic and has either two permanent single beds or an island bed. Not a large american jobby though because parking space is limited. It does not matter if it is lefthand drive. Any suggestions greatly received.

Mel

Only suggestions would be to look at dealers sites for their stocks.

Try Edgehill motorhomes - they do and can look for specifics for you, try the Brownhill's group.

Only twin fixed single bed models I've seen recently were in the Hymer range and also in the Arto models. I'm sure there will be other makes out there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thai

Mel Sea - 2007-04-20 9:30 AM Does anyone know of a motorhome make, either new or secondhand, which is both an automatic and has either two permanent single beds or an island bed. Not a large american jobby though because parking space is limited. It does not matter if it is lefthand drive. Any suggestions greatly received.

Can't quote about the automatic transmission options offered by the converters, but I believe the Renault and Fiat base vehicles (and their badge engineered clones) are available as "automatics" (or at least with semi-automatic "paddle" type gearshifts) as, of course, are the Mercedes Sprinters.

However, the layouts you are interested in are definitely available from Pilote, Bavaria, Dethleffs and Hobby, and I suspect, a number of others as well.  The easiest way to sort them out will be to go to the manufacturer's web sites and look at their on-line catalogues.

However, you do say parking space is limited, so bear in mind that you won't get any change from 7 metres with these layouts, and that several are 7.5 metres or over.

Hope this helps.

Might be a bit obvious Mel, but have you considered looking at the usual twin setee/end kitchen layout.

Useing the setee,s as twin beds is something we have done many times, and will give a far wider range of base vehicles while keeping the overall length well within 6m if you so chose.

Have a look at the Knaus Sun TI 650 ME on Renault Master. It has auto/semi-auto - "Quickshift6" option and the set up includes 2 fixed rear beds in a sleeping area that can be divided off. The beds can also be quickly made into a large double so this vehicle offers the two fixed single bed arrangement you need but the fact that it can also be a double bed should not be too restrictive come trade-in time. Vehicle length is 686 cms/22 feet 6 inches, width 230 cms, height 265 cms, Max laden weight 3500 Kgs.

According to the info available on the internet this auto box is actually more economical than the manual version so does not have the fuel penalty historically associated with autos. Note there is one reference on this forum to a failure with the box which was sorted under warranty, but that is the only problem I have found amongst much positive comment so I've speciifed it on my Knaus Sport TI.

Good luck with your search.

Bob

After thought - see www.Knaus.de and Lowdhams or Hants and Dorset are the dealers.

Archived