Here are the "sunlit uplands"

Bulletguy

Woke up this morning to the radio talking about the cost of living rising a further 5%. It infuriates me the index that they use for this calculation, which grossly underestimates the real cost of inflation as it happens to people with the least. Allow me to briefly explain.

This time last year, the cheapest pasta in my local supermarket (one of the Big Four), was 29p for 500g. Today it’s 70p. That’s a 141% price increase as it hits the poorest and most vulnerable households. 8-)

This time last year, the cheapest rice at the same supermarket was 45p for a kilogram bag. Today it’s £1 for 500g. That’s a 344% price increase as it hits the poorest and most vulnerable households. 8-)

Baked beans: were 22p, now 32p. A 45% price increase year on year.

Canned spaghetti. Was 13p, now 35p. A price increase of 169%.

Bread. Was 45p, now 58p. A price increase of 29%.

Curry sauce. Was 30p, now 89p. A price increase of 196%.

A bag of small apples. Was 59p, now 89p (and the apples are even smaller!) A price increase of 51%.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1483778776697909252.html

Read on.......it goes from bad to worse! :-(

There is definitely a storm brewing for sure and the Tories are a really poor position right now to face it. These next couple of years are going to be incredibly tough for many. I dont think we will be seeing the Sunlit uplands anytime soon but people will remember thats what they were promised and who promised it to them. So every cloud an all that. At least we might get a change of government from it.

Barryd999 - 2022-01-19 9:25 PM

There is definitely a storm brewing for sure and the Tories are a really poor position right now to face it. These next couple of years are going to be incredibly tough for many. I dont think we will be seeing the Sunlit uplands anytime soon but people will remember thats what they were promised and who promised it to them. So very cloud an all that. At least we might get a change of government from it.

Lets not get carried away.

At the moment I would just settle for a Prime Minister who earns respect - even if I don't like his/ her policies.

It's about 18 months now since I have listened / watched Johnson on TV because I just don't believe a word he says.

:-(

malc d - 2022-01-19 9:39 PM

There is definitely a storm brewing for sure and the Tories are a really poor position right now to face it. These next couple of years are going to be incredibly tough for many. I dont think we will be seeing the Sunlit uplands anytime soon but people will remember thats what they were promised and who promised it to them. So very cloud an all that. At least we might get a change of government from it.

At the moment I would just settle for a Prime Minister who earns respect - even if I don't like his/ her policies.

It's about 18 months now since I have listened / watched Johnson on TV because I just don't believe a word he says.

Yes you are right and so would I. I actually dont care that much now who it is as long as Johnsons gone. I despise cheats, liars and conmen and they should never prosper IMO.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2022-01-19 7:56 PM

To be fair Paul the poor all get their shopping free at the food banks, I saw it on Jeremy Vine. And of course food banks are the one area of high street retail that is growing rapidly. So much winning....

Chimp shoots down Chimp 8-) ...........

(lol) (lol) (lol) ................

Barryd999 - 2022-01-19 9:55 PM

Yes you are right and so would I. I actually dont care that much now who it is as long as Johnsons gone. I despise cheats, liars and conmen and they should never prosper IMO.

Quite sickening last night to see/ hear his supporters trying to give all the credit for the NHS's achievements to Johnson.

I think the NHS did it in spite of Johnson - especially with his habit of disrupting vaccination centres for his self promoting photo ops.

:-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2022-01-20 11:43 AM

Quite sickening last night to see/ hear his supporters trying to give all the credit for the NHS's achievements to Johnson.

I think the NHS did it in spite of Johnson - especially with his habit of disrupting vaccination centres for his self promoting photo ops.

So what would the NHS have done without the vaccines acquired by Boris writing a blank cheque to produce a vaccine? :-| .........

I think you LOSERS are full of spite .........and its not a very pretty sight *-) ........

pelmetman - 2022-01-20 12:01 PM

So what would the NHS have done without the vaccines acquired by Boris writing a blank cheque to produce a vaccine? :-| .........

I'm glad you agree with me. All Johnson did was sign a cheque - his only involvement in actually vaccinating anyone was getting in the way when nurses were trying to work.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2022-01-20 12:15 PM

I'm glad you agree with me. All Johnson did was sign a cheque - his only involvement in actually vaccinating anyone was getting in the way when nurses were trying to work.

Yep he signed blank cheques which he gave to AZ etc etc ;-) ........

Snakey Starmer would have given it to the EMA *-) .........

pelmetman - 2022-01-20 12:24 PM

Gosh, yes, I see what you mean.

It wasn't just one cheque. Signing all of them must have taken him over half an hour.

The NHS were then able to work 24 hours a day for two years to fight the pandemic.

Well done Boris Johnson !

pelmetman - 2022-01-20 12:01 PM...............................

I think you LOSERS are full of spite .........and its not a very pretty sight *-) ........

So, lets try a few facts in place of this half baked simple Simon storytelling.

This is from Wiki on the AZ vaccine.

History

The vaccine arose from a collaboration between Oxford University's Jenner Institute and Vaccitech, a private company spun off from the university, with financing from Oxford Sciences Innovation, Google Ventures, and Sequoia Capital, among others. The first batch of the COVID-19 vaccine produced for clinical testing was developed by Oxford University's Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group in collaboration with Italian manufacturer Advent Srl located in Pomezia. (The team is led by Sarah Gilbert, Adrian Hill, Andrew Pollard, Teresa Lambe, Sandy Douglas and Catherine Green.)

"Early development

In February 2020, the Jenner Institute agreed a collaboration with the Italian company Advent Srl for the production of a batch of 1,000 doses of a vaccine candidate for clinical trials. Originally, Oxford intended to donate the rights to manufacture and market the vaccine to any drugmaker who wanted to do so, but after the Gates Foundation urged Oxford to find a large company partner to get its COVID-19 vaccine to market, the university backed off of this offer in May 2020. The UK government then encouraged Oxford to work with AstraZeneca, a company based in Europe, instead of Merck & Co., a US-based company (The Guardian reported the initial partner was the German-based Merck Group instead). Government ministers also had concerns that a vaccine manufactured in the US would not be available in the UK, according to anonymous sources in The Wall Street Journal. Financial considerations at Oxford and spin-out companies may have also played a part in the decision to partner with AstraZeneca.

An initially not-for-profit licensing agreement was signed between the university and AstraZeneca PLC, in May 2020, with 1 billion doses of potential supply secured, with the UK reserving access to the initial 100 million doses. Furthermore, the US reserved 300 million doses, as well as the authority to perform Phase III trials in the US. The collaboration was also granted GB£68m of UK government funding, and US$1.2bn of US government funding, to support the development of the vaccine. In June 2020, the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) confirmed that the third phase of trials for the vaccine would begin in July 2020. On 4 June, AstraZeneca announced that the COVAX program for equitable vaccine access managed by the WHO and financed by CEPI and GAVI had spent $750m to secure 300 million doses of the vaccine to be distributed to low-income or under-developed countries.

Preliminary data from a study that reconstructed funding for the vaccine indicates that funding was at least 97% public, almost all from UK government departments, British and American scientific institutes, the European Commission and charities."

So read and inwardly digest the above (and preferably the rest of the Wiki article) and it's not quite the Boris and a blank cheque story you're trying to promote, is it? Above all, I can't see any reason why it should be assumed that, had Starmer been PM, he would have done otherwise. That is pure conjecture, isn't it? Yet you accuse others of being full of spite and resorting to spin and exaggeration! You don't arf make I larf, you do! (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

To be fair Paul the poor all get their shopping free at the food banks, I saw it on Jeremy Vine.

You're not alone in entirely missing the point of the op.

We aren't talking increases of a few % but double and triple figure percentages after just 12 months. As for excusing it in some weird manner by saying it's ok because we have food banks simply beggars belief. :-|

Brian Kirby - 2022-01-20 1:48 PM

History

The vaccine arose from a collaboration between Oxford University's Jenner Institute and Vaccitech, a private company spun off from the university, with financing from Oxford Sciences Innovation, Google Ventures, and Sequoia Capital, among others. The first batch of the COVID-19 vaccine produced for clinical testing was developed by Oxford University's Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group in collaboration with Italian manufacturer Advent Srl located in Pomezia. (The team is led by Sarah Gilbert, Adrian Hill, Andrew Pollard, Teresa Lambe, Sandy Douglas and Catherine Green.)

"Early development

In February 2020, the Jenner Institute agreed a collaboration with the Italian company Advent Srl for the production of a batch of 1,000 doses of a vaccine candidate for clinical trials. Originally, Oxford intended to donate the rights to manufacture and market the vaccine to any drugmaker who wanted to do so, but after the Gates Foundation urged Oxford to find a large company partner to get its COVID-19 vaccine to market, the university backed off of this offer in May 2020. The UK government then encouraged Oxford to work with AstraZeneca, a company based in Europe, instead of Merck & Co., a US-based company (The Guardian reported the initial partner was the German-based Merck Group instead). Government ministers also had concerns that a vaccine manufactured in the US would not be available in the UK, according to anonymous sources in The Wall Street Journal. Financial considerations at Oxford and spin-out companies may have also played a part in the decision to partner with AstraZeneca.

An initially not-for-profit licensing agreement was signed between the university and AstraZeneca PLC, in May 2020, with 1 billion doses of potential supply secured, with the UK reserving access to the initial 100 million doses. Furthermore, the US reserved 300 million doses, as well as the authority to perform Phase III trials in the US. The collaboration was also granted GB£68m of UK government funding, and US$1.2bn of US government funding, to support the development of the vaccine. In June 2020, the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) confirmed that the third phase of trials for the vaccine would begin in July 2020. On 4 June, AstraZeneca announced that the COVAX program for equitable vaccine access managed by the WHO and financed by CEPI and GAVI had spent $750m to secure 300 million doses of the vaccine to be distributed to low-income or under-developed countries.

Preliminary data from a study that reconstructed funding for the vaccine indicates that funding was at least 97% public, almost all from UK government departments, British and American scientific institutes, the European Commission and charities."

So read and inwardly digest the above (and preferably the rest of the Wiki article) and it's not quite the Boris and a blank cheque story you're trying to promote, is it? Above all, I can't see any reason why it should be assumed that, had Starmer been PM, he would have done otherwise. That is pure conjecture, isn't it? Yet you accuse others of being full of spite and resorting to spin and exaggeration! You don't arf make I larf, you do! (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

You'll need a sledgehammer to get just one sentence of that through to Simple Simon, Brian. There are too many big words and his infatuation with Johnson is seriously disturbing. :-S

Bulletguy - 2022-01-20 4:30 PM

To be fair Paul the poor all get their shopping free at the food banks, I saw it on Jeremy Vine.

You're not alone in entirely missing the point of the op.

We aren't talking increases of a few % but double and triple figure percentages after just 12 months. As for excusing it in some weird manner by saying it's ok because we have food banks simply beggars belief. :-|

Irony Paul.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2022-01-20 1:06 PM

It wasn't just one cheque. Signing all of them must have taken him over half an hour.

The NHS were then able to work 24 hours a day for two years to fight the pandemic.

Gosh......So you expected Boris after he'd managed to beat the EU to the head of the vaccine queue, then to jab 66 million people? 8-) ........

Sorry Malcom.....d........ but you are getting pathetic now *-) .......

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2022-01-20 6:59 PM

vaccines acquired by Boris writing a blank cheque to produce a vaccine

Where are you getting this tripe from?

;-) ...........

"UK spending on Covid vaccines hits nearly £12bn, watchdog says

Cost does not cover future multiyear programmes for jabs, National Audit Office says"

https://www.ft.com/content/58b11945-71b1-4f96-b389-695e162642fb

From your favourite toilet paper too >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2022-01-20 6:30 PM

Gosh......So you expected Boris after he'd managed to beat the EU to the head of the vaccine queue, then to jab 66 million people? 8-) ........

Well it's a surprise to learn that you admit that Johnson DIDN'T vaccinate 66 million people.

You just think he should get all the credit for doing it, ignoring the front line staff who worked all those hours to get it done.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2022-01-20 9:04 PM

Well it's a surprise to learn that you admit that Johnson DIDN'T vaccinate 66 million people.

You just think he should get all the credit for doing it, ignoring the front line staff who worked all those hours to get it done.

Where as you refuse to give him the credit for getting us the vaccines ahead of the EU *-) ..........

I can't say I'm surprised by your hypocrisy Malcom.....d :-| ........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2022-01-20 1:48 PM

History

"Early development

From Politico ;-) ........

"AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot made the argument that the U.K. had better vaccine supply because the U.K. signed an agreement for vaccines months earlier than the EU. Formally, this isn’t true: The U.K. contract was signed on August 28, while the EU’s was signed a day earlier on August 27.

However, the key lies in an earlier agreement that AstraZeneca made back in May with the U.K., which was a binding deal establishing “the development of a dedicated supply chain for the U.K.,” an AstraZeneca spokesperson said.

One official close to the U.K. contract said the agreement began as an email in April from the U.K. government saying it would provide £65 million to help the University of Oxford execute its production plan. It later evolved into a fully-fledged contract between the government and the British-Swedish company, which also might explain why it took until August for the contract to be signed.

Most important, however, is that it meant that the British government was “effectively a major shareholder” in the jab’s development as early as April. After Oxford and AstraZeneca agreed to team up at the end of April, for example, the British government filled seats on Oxford-AstraZeneca joint liaison committees.

“Protecting the U.K.‘s supply was a central objective ... as that was being negotiated from April onwards,” the official said. Even though this isn't explicitly stated in the contract, the official said that the government’s role in the early stages of the vaccine meant “there is absolutely no way that AstraZeneca would have been able to enter a contract which gave away equal priority of access to the U.K. doses.”

Kinda looks to me like Boris WON.....EU Nil >:-) .......

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/

pelmetman - 2022-01-20 7:39 PM

John52 - 2022-01-20 6:59 PM

vaccines acquired by Boris writing a blank cheque to produce a vaccine

Where are you getting this tripe from?

;-) ...........

"UK spending on Covid vaccines hits nearly £12bn, watchdog says

Cost does not cover future multiyear programmes for jabs, National Audit Office says"

Nobody is saying Johnson hasn't spent a lot of money

Just questioning why he is stopping us from finding out who he has given it to, and for what.

and why it has been so ineffective in preventing Covid deaths when you compare out record with other island nations.

pelmetman - 2022-01-20 9:23 PM

Where as you refuse to give him the credit for getting us the vaccines ahead of the EU *-) ..........

The vaccines were obtained quickly because Kate Bingham and her team of experts got them.

She obtained them in spite of government obstacles - as she said in her lecture to Oxford University on 23 November 2021.

malc d - 2022-01-21 10:01 AM

The vaccines were obtained quickly because Kate Bingham and her team of experts got them.

She obtained them in spite of government obstacles - as she said in her lecture to Oxford University on 23 November 2021.

Exactly and it turns out the differences between UK and Belgian law. They did a good job but lets face it, if it had been left to Johnson to deal with and negotiate most of us would probably be dead now given the disastrous handling of the pandemic until we were saved by the likes of AZ, Pfizer and the NHS and a team of volunteers. The very same NHS it has to be remembered the Tories have tried and still are to run into the ground and privatise for years.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2022-01-21 12:29 PM

malc d - 2022-01-21 10:01 AM

Exactly and it turns out the differences between UK and Belgian law. They did a good job but lets face it, if it had been left to Johnson to deal with and negotiate most of us would probably be dead now given the disastrous handling of the pandemic until we were saved by the likes of AZ, Pfizer and the NHS and a team of volunteers. The very same NHS it has to be remembered the Tories have tried and still are to run into the ground and privatise for years.

Who appointed Kate Bingham?........Oh that'll be Boris Johnson >:-) .........

Snakey Starmer would have left the EMA to make the decisions for him *-) .......

https://order-order.com/2021/02/03/watch-starmer-did-say-uk-should-stay-in-european-medicines-agency/

Archived