Hi Guys ... missed me?

Mel B

Hi gang, just logging on to say hello, we've parked in Leiden in a car park (7 euros a night) weather hasn't been too bad, good Friday and Saturday, bit windy but that's all. Overnight it threw it down and well into this morning but has gradually cleared and we now have sunshine.

The trip to eurotunnel was horrendous, they were stacking lorries from J8 to J9 of the M20 so it was closed, what they didn't say is that they were actually doing this from J7 so they might have well have closed it from there to other traffic as it was terrible, took us nearly an hour to do the journey to J8. The good news is that eventually we managed to get an earlier crossing on Eurotunnel - we were supposed to cross at 5.20 am on Friday but we managed to get booked in supposedly for the 23.15, we were nicely going up to the barrier and then it came down. They'd filled the train! We were then told we'd be on the 1.20 am instead!!!! Several other travellers were not happy as they had been originally booked on the 23.15, eventually eurotunnel saw sense and put on an extra train so we were away at 23.49 instead. Got into Calais at around 00.25 and eventually made our way to Calais ferry port and kipped down.

So far we've skirted Brugge, and Middelburg, on our way to Sas van Gent a nice little place where there is a free 'aire' - yes, the DO have them in Holland but they don't have the facilities yet of the usual French/German ones, but it was a lovely spot next to the canal and the dogs had a lovely potter around.

Last night we were on a proper campsite, 15.86 euros, lovely site though but the roadways were so tight and not meant for motorhomes at all, don't know who designed it but they wanted shooting, we couldn't even get onto the pitch we'd been allocated so had to 'pinch' another instead.

Had fun watching a couple who'd bought a new tent and were trying to put it up for the first time ... took pity on them and made them a coffee. I hope they are still as keen as they were last night seeing as it rained on them all night!

Anyone interested in the Dutch 'aires' should have a look at the Dutch camper club at: www.campervriendelijk.nl (camper club netherland), they list the sites, some are official, some not, some are part of campsites etc. Don't expect the same facilities as you get at other aires though. The law for parking overnight was changed as of 1 January 2008 and this is why there are now some aires being created/permitted. I'm sure there'll be more but for now they are very sparse.

Well, off to have a shuftie and see what you lot have been up to now, so I'll say night-night for now.

Mel B

Well Id noticed your absence Mel :-D and Michelle,s did you see her at the tunnel? mind you arent you a bit mixed up !! Good Friday was a long time ago now ;-) We also will be travelling in your tyre tracks come the 25th of June when we go into Germany, so keep us posted of any good stopping places. :-D have a lovely time and SAFE JOURNEY Margaret.

Must admit Dave that I prefer the ferry as well, the trip across on the train was interesting! It was very bumpy which I didn't expect, the van was swaying all over the place, nothing like the nice smooth ferry. It also didn't feel like we were going on holiday either, but, never mind, good old Tesco is paying so that gives us a lot more dosh for the diesel. Cheapest diesel we've seen so fare is 1.329 euros and an 'auto' garage, we got ours for 1.334 so not too bad. We didn't partake of the fuel in Calais as you could easily add nearly 10c to the cost per litre.

Well, off to wash up and then watch a video before bed, take care you lot, I'll report in again when I get a free wifi spot ... I don't really want to have to visit McDonalds!

Toodle-pip!

MelB

Hiya Melanie. So sorry to hear about the bad crossing and lousy weather, but looking at the Euro forcasts the Balkans seem to be enjoying the sunshine. Money may be a issue, so i,ll happily forward you a small loan that will enable you to travel further and stay away longer if you want sweety.

Toodle-pip. xxx

Hi gang

Managed to get wifi connection again, laptop battery low so can't stay on long.

We've had rain most days, on and off, but we've still managed to get out and about, on the whole the weather tends to pick up late afternoon and we get good evenings. Currently in Putten in a car park 'official' stop but we've also had 'unofficial' stops of our own making and not had a problem. Yesterday was lovely, we went over the Afsluitdijk dam, 30km long! The one that dammed the Zeiderzee to make prevent the terrible flooding that Holland used to suffer. We went on to the Zeiderzee museum, a bit like Beamish but smaller, then later to Geiderthoorn, the Dutch call it mini-Venice, and it lives up to it's name, lots of little canals with pretty houses and a big lake as well. Today we've been to the Dolphinariam - great place, bit pricey at 48 euros for us both but well worth it, it had various types of seals, dolphins, porpoise (really little!), rays and little sharks. Loads of kids around, on school trips (little darlings!).

Fuel varies enormously in price, the dearest we've seen diesel is 1.49 euro a litre, cheapest 1.32 a litre, currently paying around 1.40 a litre.

howie - 2008-05-26 11:54 AM

Hiya Melanie. So sorry to hear about the bad crossing and lousy weather, but looking at the Euro forcasts the Balkans seem to be enjoying the sunshine. Money may be a issue, so i,ll happily forward you a small loan that will enable you to travel further and stay away longer if you want sweety.

Toodle-pip. xxx

Thank you my sweet but I couldn't bare to be away from you for much longer, the thought of your toothy grin is all that keeps me going, I must say, though, that one of the creatures I saw at the Dolphinarium today reminded me of you .... it was the great big walrus, weighed over a tonne!!! (lol) It must be the fishy breath ..... :D

Hi Mel B

Wondered where you'd got to.

Have you also packed that wonderful "NEC" jacket with you.Just in case of bad weather.

You know, the one that can go round your waist and then also finishes up in your ruck sack at the same time.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_mrgreen.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif

Thai Bry now runs for cover!!!

Thai

E's only joking Joy he dont mean nothing by it .

Petes my kinda people person says what he means and dont give a hoot.

I like it that way you knows where you are with that :D

Mels used to him and so am I 1622 and the rest , :D

peter - 2008-06-06 8:28 PM

No. Why should we have?.

It's up to you Peter, it might make you wince, cry or whatever, but knowing you though you'll probably enjoy it! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Well, if I can't make a joke about it, who can!!!! :-S

Guest peter
Mel B - 2008-06-06 10:23 PM

peter - 2008-06-06 8:28 PM

No. Why should we have?.

It's up to you Peter, it might make you wince, cry or whatever, but knowing you though you'll probably enjoy it! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Well, if I can't make a joke about it, who can!!!! :-S

Of course we missed you Sweetie Pie. Glad to see you're back. :D

Mel, I SAY MEL. Your arrival back home merely coincided with myself and my charming wife crossing the Irish Sea to explore the upper reaches of the Shannon and beyond in our new(ish) van what we bought a fortnight ago, and may I add, without any aggro from the local populace. ( A rather mature Swift Royale 610 with rear lounge configuration, that despite its age remains in pristine condition with sumptious interior fitments to match. Not only that, but the p/x deal has left my account looking healthier than it has done for a long time and myself in fine spirits.

Rotten what happened out in Holland Mel and hope you,re feeling a bit better about it now. What goes round comes round, and i,ve no doubt the scum responsible will pay eventually, with interest I hope, and you are able to put it down to to one of those regrettable things that happen now and then and get on with the enjoyment your van has, and will continue to bring you.

Obviously this has been a very traumatic experience for you, so may I offer my services in the way of councilling and 'comforting'. Not often moved to offer such a service, but as a long standing admirer feel its the least I can do. There will be a small 'handling' fee re. 'comforting' of course, but let me assure you that any fiscal gain will always come a poor second to your health and welfare. xxx

Archived