Hi my lovlies

Violet1956

Well it is with some regret and a little joy that we sold our van to a dealer today. I have so enjoyed being a member of this forum even the contraversial stuff. Our hopes about the freedom to roam with a campervan were dashed by the restrictions in the UK and then the result of Brexit (hate to mention it but was it not a big downer for motorhome owners?). We really struggled with all the technical aspects of owning a complex vehicle and I remain grateful for all the helpful advice we received from forum members. I hope that all you committed motorhomers out there continue to enjoy the freedoms of the open road with a bed and more importantly your own loo.

Violet1956 - 2022-07-01 7:13 PM

Well it is with some regret and a little joy that we sold our van to a dealer today. Our hopes about the freedom to roam with a campervan were dashed by the restrictions in the UK and then the result of Brexit....

It's ended the travels for many Veronica.

Motorhoming in the UK has defiantly got harder, we have found more places not accepting 'bookings' on the day, and more places saying they only take online bookings. Have just got back from a few weeks in Cornwall, for many years now we have done the bulk of journey down (and sometimes back) late at night and pulling into a parking space for a kip, then finishing the journey in morning, many of the better spots now have no overnighting signs.

Reading this thread reminded me of many years ago, a friend had a boob job and asked me if I liked them.

(Why do women think all guys like big boobs? Its as much as mystery to me as why they say 'fine' or 'thats fine' when they mean just the opposite )

I didn't - but what can you say when she has already had them done?

So I lied and said I liked them.

But they gave her all sorts of problems and she regretted it later on. :-(

At least selling a motorhome is easier to put right :-D

I wouldn't like to go back to travelling in a car now I've been spolied by having everything I need with me.

Especially not having to rely on public toilets as has been said. I'd rather have my van than any car.

colin - 2022-07-02 12:40 PM

no overnighting signs.

No legal backing apparently.

Andy Strangeway (My Hero) threatened to sue highland council for erecting illegal 'no overnight parking' in laybys. Arguing he was entitled to damages for having to go somewhere else when he could have stayed there. So the signs have been removed.

Motorhoming is just one way to travel.

By car+hotel we wisited many countries, Europe and US included.

Having personal loos is the last of our problems.

Now with booking.com or ab&b available on the net it's just matter of google maps and the right tourist guide.

Then you have organized tours, just choose the right and specialized operator.

Have a shining touring future and thanks for your always weighted contribution.

Max

mtravel - 2022-07-02 5:04 PM

Now with booking.com or ab&b available on the net it's just matter of google maps and the right tourist guide.

Then you have organized tours, just choose the right and specialized operator.

Max

Booking everywhere I want to tour - and being organized by other people.

Can't think of anything worse !

I took up camping and motorhoming for the independence - which is why I've done so much of it on the continent, where I've never booked anything anywhere ( Just the ferries to get there ).

Each to his own.

;-)

In the last couple of years we widely toured Crete and Sicily.

I decided where to go and what to see.

In which hotel and/or estate spend the night.

Booking.com had been just a fair and comfortable way to make reservation and pay.

About organized tours, it depends.

For instance touring Mexico with an archeologist is different than go an see just what's in the plan.

However, I am motorhoming since 1987 and toured 95% of European countries. For instance three times in Norway, three in the UK (plus one in ROI and NI).

That's why I won't consider motorhoming the best way to travel.

Max

p.s. in the next couple of years I will sell my current one.

That will not mean that I will stop journeys.

Peru, Japan and one more India are waiting for us.

Your input to the various subjects was enjoyable to read,thank you.

Motorhome travel in this country over the last two years has been a challenge in working around the Covid induced state border closures. Thankfully that madness has ended and we are free to roam.

Enjoy your future travels in whatever format they take. Cheers,

Brexit certainly scuppers the kind of long Euro trips we used to enjoy but we are touring the UK this year again anyway. Almost managed to upgrade the van this year but failed at the last hurdle so we are taking the old bus around the UK for about five months. Hopefully a Euro tour next year if we finally manage to upgrade over the winter and I think ill include some none Schengen countries to get around the 90 day limit the Brexiteers shot us all in the foot with.

However as for touring the UK we have spent the last five weeks or so going through the Cotswolds, Somerset, West Dorset coast then the main part around Devon and Cornwall and its been a blast. Top tip for a successful South west trip? Use off grid CL's. Sites are busy and expensive, CL sites with all singing and dancing facilities (EHU etc) are also busy. Remote basic CL sites that cost between fiver and a tenner are remarkably EMPTY! Not had one yet that was full.

Generally it helps if you have secondary transport but of course we have a scooter which so far in five weeks we have clocked up about 1200 miles on.

Someone on the Caravan club site cobbled together this map of off grid CL sites. Its a bit out of date from 2018 but still useful. Next stop will be the Scottish Isles but it will be wilding all the way.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1mrjJzvxmDhgRicX16ahYBdCBhUoZhpuK&ll=50.168319441553614%2C-5.118692836906821&z=10

Below is a photo of the one we are on now. Bit crowded. (lol) £8 a night

Yes there is a van in that photo.

1700942808_clsmall(Custom).jpg.a9f864b6af4fd9393e07a68d76c1150c.jpg

John52 - 2022-07-02 2:40 PM

no overnighting signs.

Andy Strangeway (My Hero) threatened to sue highland council for erecting illegal 'no overnight parking' in laybys. Arguing he was entitled to damages for having to go somewhere else when he could have stayed there. So the signs have been removed.

Plenty of laybys have overnight parking, not at all interested in being next to a road that has traffic most of the night,.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Violet. I'm not a Chatterbox contributor as a norm; hence the delay in responding.

Covid did for our motorhoming when everything shut down - or it seemed. Risk of getting the lurgy kept us away for two years other than the occasional day out. On the upside, we did have an extension built and the NHS sorted out my worsening eye problems after 3 years.

Now we're back on the trail, we've almost had to learn motorhoming all over again!

Enjoy the joy, you deserve it. And we'll continue to remember you.

colin - 2022-07-03 10:05 AM

John52 - 2022-07-02 2:40 PM

no overnighting signs.

Plenty of laybys have overnight parking, not at all interested in being next to a road that has traffic most of the night,.

Got to laugh. We have been on this CL near Woolacombe in Devon for about ten days now and about a couple of miles up the road there is a main road, very busy. Since we got here there has been a motorhome parked in the layby on the road on and off all that time. Its literally right next to the road, not even set back. In fact I would go so far as to say its dangerous as its literally a couple of feet from the road. I know we wild campers sometimes get labelled free loaders but thats got to be exactly what this is. The whole van must shake everytime a vehicle goes past. The CL we are on is the most expensive we have been on in Devon and Cornwall in all the weeks we have been down here. A tenner a night. (lol) Bizarre.

Barryd999 - 2022-07-12 4:14 PM

I know we wild campers sometimes get labelled free loaders but thats got to be exactly what this is.

Last time I looked vehicle related taxes cover the (inflated) cost of the public roads about 10 times over.

So who is he free loading off?

(I'm parked overnight on a public road now- I don't see why I should pay rent to a landowner when I have paid for the public road.

Although I wouldn't park right next to a noisy road like that either. Because I wouldn't sleep well - but I know a few (not many) lorry drivers who do because traffic noise doesn't bother them. They can just seem to block it out and sleep through it. - Iucky for them)

Archived